Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
ESPN: Inside the move from Cousins to McCarthy
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4053...j-mccarthy

Very good read here. Vikings liked Maye. Vikings had McCarthy over Penix. Vikings believed JJM's physical abilities were as good as anyone in the Draft.
[-] The following 7 users Like StickierBuns's post:

Wow, journalism. Good read. Nothing really surprising here, but it does confirm a few things. One in particular is that the Vikings did indeed like JJ over Penix. Also thought this was encouraging...

"...You definitely have to be careful about putting too much emphasis on that kind of stuff," O'Connell said. "You can't say, 'Hey, he was awkward at dinner, so we can't draft him.' You use it as a sliver of the total evaluation."
[-] The following 3 users Like MaroonBells's post:

Thanks for posting, good read
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bullazin's post:

Excellent read
[-] The following 1 user Likes 1VikesFan's post:

Probably the most detailed and insightful article I've read on the subject. Well researched sports journalism. Too long and thorough of a read to be considered clickbait.
[-] The following 2 users Like Montana Tom's post:

Thumbs Up 
Just read that article before coming here, I couldn’t agree w/ you guys more… 

My takeaway is KOC loves that JJM is 21 years old....he can mold the guy into the perfect QB for his offense. He's not 24 years old like some of these other guys. Time to install success. And as athletic and arm gifted as any in this Draft. I'd put Jayden Daniels as probably the most athletic, with Caleb right behind. But JJM is in the zip code.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post:

(07-19-2024, 06:33 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4053...j-mccarthy

Very good read here. Vikings liked Maye. Vikings had McCarthy over Penix. Vikings believed JJM's physical abilities were as good as anyone in the Draft.

That was the scuttle leading up to the draft, confirms a lot of it.  I think the only reason they had Maye above McCarthy is he's an easier evaluation because he had more attempts in college.  Both are mobile, great leadership qualities, but Maye has better size and McCarthy has the stronger arm.  Maye can't throw right and McCarthy will skip some going to his left.  Neither are perfect prospects, but none of the QBs in the 2024 draft were.

I would have been happy with either one, but getting McCarthy AND Turner is better than Maye IMO.  We'll see if they holds true in a few years, but that's my opinion now.

Excited for training camp and preseason to start so we can get our first glimpse of Sam and JJ and the rest of the new faces on this year's team.

BOOM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(07-19-2024, 02:18 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: That was the scuttle leading up to the draft, confirms a lot of it.  I think the only reason they had Maye above McCarthy is he's an easier evaluation because he had more attempts in college.  Both are mobile, great leadership qualities, but Maye has better size and McCarthy has the stronger arm.  Maye can't throw right and McCarthy will skip some going to his left.  Neither are perfect prospects, but none of the QBs in the 2024 draft were.

I would have been happy with either one, but getting McCarthy AND Turner is better than Maye IMO.  We'll see if they holds true in a few years, but that's my opinion now.

Excited for training camp and preseason to start so we can get our first glimpse of Sam and JJ and the rest of the new faces on this year's team.

BOOM

@ the bold

I think if ATL drafted JJ @ 8 instead of Penix, there would have been some grousing in Viking land. The Vikings would have put up a good face, but I would not have been happy. 

I agree that is one of the key questions we'll look back on. And you know what? It might have been THREE #1 picks to move up for Maye, not just JJ/Turner...

As of 7/19/24, I am satisfied. Dare I say grateful in a football kinda way?
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post:

(07-19-2024, 03:44 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: @ the bold

I think if ATL drafted JJ @ 8 instead of Penix, there would have been some grousing in Viking land. The Vikings would have put up a good face, but I would not have been happy. 

I agree that is one of the key questions we'll look back on. And you know what? It might have been THREE #1 picks to move up for Maye, not just JJ/Turner...

As of 7/19/24, I am satisfied. Dare I say grateful in a football kinda way?

I was not as down on Penix as some were. I had trouble with his weirdass motion, but I loved his accuracy and think his almost-stubborn refusal to run in college will only help him in the pros. Even though I preferred McCarthy, I would have been fairly excited to watch Penix too. 

But you're right. It would've been interesting to see how the Vikings responded to the Falcons taking both of their QBs.