Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, Credit Where It's Due and How to Actually be Impressive, Donald
There was a LOT to unpack from the RNC convention, and I had things going on last night and today, but...

...the teamster representative at the podium was a VERY big deal, maybe even a stroke of genius.

If the dnc loses its hold on the unions, even a chunk of that vote that it typically dominates, due to their pursuit of elites and wokeness...Trump will be brilliant in offering an olive branch. In fact, both the unions and the RNC could absolutely shift the political axis in a huge way.

THAT SAID-

-something I said during his presidency, before, was that he could absolutely get all the attention he craves and more if he were to really work on unifying, rather than dividing, the country. It obviously didn't go that way, and he seized his bellicose, polarizing persona and rode it all the way to defeat, no matter how hard he pressured others to "find votes" for him.

If he learned from that, if he shows more compassion and less bluster, if he actually runs with the UNITE message now...he'd pull off a coup that would be immense. I don't know if he sees it, or even has it in him to do it, but...if he came from his near-assassination with a less combative, more collaborative platform, he'd have a shot at being a genuinely good president.

If, if, if.
LET'S WREAK SOME FUGGIN' HAVOK, VIKINGS!!! SKOL!!!

Trump's biggest issue has been his inability to say what he needs to say...and than shut up. Some of it's of his own making and some of it has been from the relentless attacks from the Left and the MSM...even before he took office. I read somewhere that NBC (and MSNBC) devoted more than 5000 hours of coverage to the Russian collusion narrative (which is remarkable given there are about 8800 hours in a year. They discussed his treasonous acts, punishment (including potential methods of execution), peeing on Russian prostitutes...etc. That's one network alone...and one issue alone.

I agree with you that if Trump sticks to the unity script, he's our next President. Joe's already slipped back to his Grump Old Man attacks. The Dems will try to win on abortion but that has actually been worked out by most of the States. The abortion issue alone was the reason that Biden won in WI last time (and WI Supreme Court changed from 5-4 Conservative to 5-4 Liberal) as the overturn of Roe v Wade caused WI to revert back to the archaic 1849 abort laws temporarily.

There's a huge enthusiasm gap between Trump and Biden right not. Just not sure Trump can't shut up and let others do the attacking for him. If you've watched JD Vance, he's very comfortable in hostile interview environments and is very quick on his feet. If Trump let's Vance take the brunt of the interviews while he does the rallies...it's effectively over. I guess we'll see. Still would be nice to have a viable third party to get the other two parties to move more to the center but we're going to have to wait on that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes badgervike's post:

(07-17-2024, 12:48 PM)badgervike Wrote: Trump's biggest issue has been his inability to say what he needs to say...and than shut up.  Some of it's of his own making and some of it has been from the relentless attacks from the Left and the MSM...even before he took office.  I read somewhere that NBC (and MSNBC) devoted more than 5000 hours of coverage to the Russian collusion narrative (which is remarkable given there are about 8800 hours in a year.  They discussed his treasonous acts, punishment (including potential methods of execution), peeing on Russian prostitutes...etc.  That's one network alone...and one issue alone.

I agree with you that if Trump sticks to the unity script, he's our next President.  Joe's already slipped back to his Grump Old Man attacks.  The Dems will try to win on abortion but that has actually been worked out by most of the States.  The abortion issue alone was the reason that Biden won in WI last time (and WI Supreme Court changed from 5-4 Conservative to 5-4 Liberal) as the overturn of Roe v Wade caused WI to revert back to the archaic 1849 abort laws temporarily. 

There's a huge enthusiasm gap between Trump and Biden right not.  Just not sure Trump can't shut up and let others do the attacking for him.  If you've watched JD Vance, he's very comfortable in hostile interview environments and is very quick on his feet.  If Trump let's Vance take the brunt of the interviews while he does the rallies...it's effectively over.  I guess we'll see.  Still would be nice to have a viable third party to get the other two parties to move more to the center but we're going to have to wait on that.

I wish Jo Jorgensen could run again, though the LP has descended into something I find as diseased and disgusting as the 'main' treason clubs. She's very smart, has been successful, her wit and her positions were excellent...but, her candidacy was during COVID and she got about 4 minutes of combined media camera time.

One way to be impressive would have been...finally being accurate. That sure as f*** didn't happen.

Most of his stats continue to be bulls**t, particularly any time he says "best" or "worst"...and it's not that hard to look up. Why can't he be honest/accurate, and why doesn't his panting fan club care?

Everything unfolding with Biden and at the RNC underscores why I was so deeply disappointed knowing what our countries choices would be for POTUS. We have a doddering old man in Washington now and another one about to replace him.

The Donald actually had me  (a moderate) tuning-in to hear his acceptance speech. I turned it off after the first 19 minutes. Too many lies, too many promises with little to no substance (at all) on how all of this magnificence for world standing, economic growth, safe borders and lower crime is about to unfold.

I take that back, I did hear drill baby drill.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(07-19-2024, 09:12 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Everything unfolding with Biden and at the RNC underscores why I was so deeply disappointed knowing what our countries choices would be for POTUS. We have a doddering old man in Washington now and another one about to replace him.

The Donald actually had me  (a moderate) tuning-in to hear his acceptance speech. I turned it off after the first 19 minutes. Too many lies, too many promises with little to no substance (at all) on how all of this magnificence for world standing, economic growth, safe borders and lower crime is about to unfold.

Yeah, my hatred for the treasonous trash  piles is also pretty well documented, as is my dislike for the criminal codgers at their helms.

We deserve SO much better, but can't seem to vote for it. There were some excellent and obvious choices for moderate candidates that would've helped to defuse this country...but no, it's the same forces ripping the country apart while each points across the aisle and insists that its THEIR fault....

(07-19-2024, 09:12 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Everything unfolding with Biden and at the RNC underscores why I was so deeply disappointed knowing what our countries choices would be for POTUS. We have a doddering old man in Washington now and another one about to replace him.

You watched for 19 minutes and there were too many lies and promises?  I watched most of the speech this am.  The first 25 minutes were devoted exclusively to recounting the assassination attempt. No policy and no promises.  You're not one of those Dems that doesn't think Trump was actually shot are you?  Seems to be a fair number out there.

It was a subdued yet typically bombastic Trump.  His speeches are never my cup of tea and that continued last night.  He really needs to just ask if you're better off than you were 4 years ago whether it be the Economy, Security, Border, Foreign Relations, Wars...and stfu.

(07-19-2024, 11:11 AM)badgervike Wrote: You watched for 19 minutes and there were too many lies and promises.  I watched most of the speech this am.  The first 25 minutes were devoted exclusively to recounting the assassination attempt. No policy and no promises.  You're not one of those Dems that doesn't think Trump was actually shot are you?  

It was a subdued yet typically bombastic Trump.  His speeches are never my cup of tea and that continued last night.  He really needs to just ask if you're better off than you were 4 years ago whether it be the Economy, Security, Border, Foreign Relations, Wars...and stfu.

Why should Americans have to settle for a President that needs to STFU at all?

Because that's our reality. The two party system has given us this nonsense thus my continued Independent status. Given that, I can fairly clearly identify which President had better policy. Regardless if Biden drops out, the Dem standard bearer will be attached to frankly terrible policy given the short amount of time left. The party is more concerned with virtue signaling than with actual governance. The Border, the Economy, Crime, Wars are all directly related to active and intentional policy decisions. The hard left has taken over the party. I don't even recognize the party anymore.

(07-19-2024, 11:24 AM)badgervike Wrote: Because that's our reality.  The two party system has given us this nonsense thus my continued Independent status.  Given that, I can fairly clearly identify which President had better policy. Regardless if Biden drops out, the Dem standard bearer will be attached to frankly terrible policy given the short amount of time left.  The party is more concerned with virtue signaling than with actual governance.  The Border, the Economy, Crime, Wars are all directly related to active and intentional policy decisions.  The hard left has taken over the party.  I don't even recognize the party anymore.

I still recognize them as power mongers who will say/do whatever keeps them closer to power.

As for the GOP, though...what can they mean, when their figurehead is utterly dishonest, and therefore cannot have credibility? Some of his most rabid supporters in the government are the most embarrassing/dishonest, and while I refuse to be drawn into the binary BS of only comparing the dnc BS vs the gop BS...

...when you know they're proven, established, consistent liars, what's their platform beyond dishonesty?