Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings have 2 of the 5 unsigned first rd draft picks
C'mon KAM, get er done already. Camp for rooks starts a week from Sunday. 

As of Friday morning July 12th, only five first-round picks remain unsigned with two of them being quarterbacks
  • Chicago Bears QB Caleb Williams (1st overall)
  • Chicago Bears WR Rome Odunze (9th overall)
  • Minnesota Vikings QB J.J. McCarthy (10th overall)
  • Minnesota Vikings EDGE Dallas Turner (17th overall)
  • Cincinnati Bengals OT Amarius Mims (18th overall)

The unique aspect of the five players that remain unsigned is that two of the three teams with multiple first-round picks have signed neither of their first-round picks. That could be due to multiple factors but the most likely one is they both drafted quarterbacks.

About a month ago, I wrote about a possible McCarthy holdout because it was being discussed across social media. There are reasons for a player to hold out with the rookie wage scale with the main ones being offset language and payout structure of the signing bonus.

The Vikings haven't paid out the entire signing bonus at once before. That doesn't necessarily mean much, as they had never fully guaranteed a three-year contract (Kirk Cousins), they hadn't guaranteed salary into year two of the extension (T.J. Hockenson) and they instituted a paradigm shift with the Justin Jefferson extension.

There are reasons for the Vikings to avoid doing so. The Henry Ruggs and Jeff Gladney situations where an alleged egregious act off the field happens and you attempt to void the signing bonus. If the entire bonus hasn't been paid, you don't have to ask for it back, it doesn't get paid when the player's contract gets voided for cause.

Is it time to panic?

Are we approaching panic mode with McCarthy and Turner not having signed contracts? It's a real concern because they cannot practice without a contract during training camp. They can during minicamp and OTAs but training camp is for rostered players only.

If McCarthy isn't able to practice during any portion of training camp, it isn't good. You want him to get as many reps as possible as training camp is a peak time of development for any rookie. If he does miss time, that doesn't mean he's in trouble. It's more likely that he doesn't play during his rookie season or has to wait to get in the game. That will be an issue for a good portion of the fanbase.

From the time this is published, the Vikings still have nine days to get McCarthy and Turner signed. Panicking isn't the right word yet, but it's getting a lot closer to that point and that's worrisome.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/minn...0daec7dca0

I said it before, but contract negotiations have been notoriously slow under KAM. Cousins was punted for years (which I was fine with), Danielle eventually got a restructure that let him hit FA early, Hock's deal took into training camp the year after the big trade and he had a monster season, JJ taking two offseason's.

It's especially concerning when these rookie deals have a wage scale and are pretty straightforward. I'm not sure what the hold up is... are we pinching pennies on guarantees? I guess I'd rather foster a little good will with agents and get the deals for our CORE players done quickly and penny pinch in the replacement level players and fringe roster guys.
[-] The following 2 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

(07-12-2024, 04:06 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: I said it before, but contract negotiations have been notoriously slow under KAM.  Cousins was punted for years (which I was fine with), Danielle eventually got a restructure that let him hit FA early, Hock's deal took into training camp the year after the big trade and he had a monster season, JJ taking two offseason's.

It's especially concerning when these rookie deals have a wage scale and are pretty straightforward. I'm not sure what the hold up is...  are we pinching pennies on guarantees?  I guess I'd rather foster a little good will with agents and get the deals for our CORE players done quickly and penny pinch in the replacement level players and fringe roster guys.

The whispers in the media have been about guarantees and signing structure.

These are not Bryant McKinnie size mountains to overcome though.

Kam must not have made it back from the Lake cabin.

Its weird. And honestly a little stupid. Let's go.

They'll both be signed soon, no reason for anyone to panic.

I'm not concerned with JJM. He's not expected to start on opening day. If he misses a few days of camp, I don't see that as a big deal. I'm more concerned with Turner. We need him in camp & learning his role on day 1.

Are the Vikings and Bears the only two teams with two picks in the 1st round? If so, that could be what is complicating matters.

Still, with contract parameters almost etched in stone, there's not a lot of haggle room here. I'm sure they'll be signed by training camp. Hold outs are so 90s.

In retrospect, I would not have been too surprised about a Turner negotiation maybe being a bit more difficult. 

This was a supposed top 10 guy, consensus #1 D player - now getting slot 17 money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(07-13-2024, 07:27 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Are the Vikings and Bears the only two teams with two picks in the 1st round? If so, that could be what is complicating matters.

Still, with contract parameters almost etched in stone, there's not a lot of haggle room here. I'm sure they'll be signed by training camp. Hold outs are so 90s.

I think the Cardinals had two picks in the first round.