Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Jackson
What happened to Khyree Jackson is a tragedy that stings on so many levels. I just feel terrible for his parents especially. As a parent, I can't even try to imagine the horror and pain of losing a child. I pray to God I never have to. 

It shouldn’t need to be said that the team's needs are microscopic in comparison to the needs of his family. But as someone who watched his parents try to deal with the death of three of their children, I know at some point you have to get past it. Not over it, just past it. 

That's going to be a while. Still, there is some talk right now about how the Vikings should trade for Marshon Lattimore. While he would be a desirable piece for the Vikings, I don’t think we really have the kind of day-two draft capital it would likely require to make such a move. 

Here is a list of veteran CBs still available…

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/an...e-players/

As tragic as Jackson's death was, I just don't think this team should be trading for anyone in 2024. Keep your draft picks for next year. Vikings will know where their weaknesses are after this season and can fill some holes with a decent cap amount to spend in 2025. Then hit on a few guys in the 2025 Draft, hope JJM is ready to start and hopefully start a window.

I know you can't throw this season away and anything can happen, but I'm not sure that they were counting on Khyree.....hoping, but not counting on him. I wouldn't trade for Lattimore.
[-] The following 4 users Like StickierBuns's post:

There's a rumor circulating that they're going to resign Cam Akers.

Keep the picks in next years draft and look for a training camp cut. Maybe they will only be depth but maybe Flores can pull something out of his hat with the players he currently has.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Greylock's post:

They weren't counting on Khyree for this year to be anything more than CB5 behind Griffin, Murphy, Blackmon and Evans. The hope was that he would develop and move up the depth chart next year. No need to trade for anyone and we don't have the picks to do it anyway.

Vikes will be looking at TC cuts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RS_Express's post:

Corner and interior of both lines are the weakest links on the Vikings. Maybe you could put QB on that list with Darnold as your starter, but I think he's going to have a decent year in MN.

Not enough 25 draft capital to do much with.

They'll have to be scrappy and patient to improve those spots. Losing Jackson hurts on a # of levels.

(07-09-2024, 11:15 AM)Knucklehead Wrote: There's a rumor circulating that they're going to resign Cam Akers.

Unless he can play CB it has nothing to do with this situation.

(07-10-2024, 10:35 AM)kmillard Wrote: Unless he can play CB it has nothing to do with this situation.

Teams can bring 90 players to camp. With Jackson's tragic death, the roster currently stands at 89. Resigning Akers brings the roster back up to 90.

(07-09-2024, 10:33 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: As tragic as Jackson's death was, I just don't think this team should be trading for anyone in 2024. Keep your draft picks for next year. Vikings will know where their weaknesses are after this season and can fill some holes with a decent cap amount to spend in 2025. Then hit on a few guys in the 2025 Draft, hope JJM is ready to start and hopefully start a window.

I know you can't throw this season away and anything can happen, but I'm not sure that they were counting on Khyree.....hoping, but not counting on him. I wouldn't trade for Lattimore.

This is pretty close to my take on the matter.  I just don’t think this is a year that we are actively trying to be SB competitive.  QB is the only position that really matters.  We’re starting Darnold at QB.  Rookie QBs no matter how good they end up being don’t take you to the SB.  It doesn’t make sense to start pushing your chips in now on expensive veterans.  To be honest we’re probably targeting a 2026-2028 SB window, maybe 2025 if JJM or Darnold dramatically exceeds expectations.  Via a trade he should be cap cheap compared to his performance, so if you can imagine him on the team for like 5 years, then sure go get him, but if it’s just to boost our short term chances, save that capital for our window.
[-] The following 1 user Likes medaille's post:

(07-10-2024, 12:23 PM)medaille Wrote: This is pretty close to my take on the matter.  I just don’t think this is a year that we are actively trying to be SB competitive.  QB is the only position that really matters.  We’re starting Darnold at QB.  Rookie QBs no matter how good they end up being don’t take you to the SB.  It doesn’t make sense to start pushing your chips in now on expensive veterans.  To be honest we’re probably targeting a 2026-2028 SB window, maybe 2025 if JJM or Darnold dramatically exceeds expectations.  Via a trade he should be cap cheap compared to his performance, so if you can imagine him on the team for like 5 years, then sure go get him, but if it’s just to boost our short term chances, save that capital for our window.

Agree, but for me it's not about window as much as it's about the lack of draft capital and the importance of keeping what we have.

Never know, Darnold could have a breakout season and this team could find itself in the hunt. At that point, we might regret not filling the CB hole with something more than a training camp release. And a player like that will have spent his entire summer learning a different defense. I think we need someone before training camp. 

While I don't think we'll be sending day-two draft picks for a top corner, I could see the team try to trade some ill-fitting pieces like Cine or Booth for a player who better fits with Flores.