Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RUMOR: Cam Akers to resign pending passing a physical
I really like Akers, he's only 25 years old. But he's had 2 Achilles injuries. It isn't the bad news it used to be 15+ years ago thanks to surgery advancements, but it was just in November the last one, correct? I guess they wouldn't potentially sign him if they didn't think he'd be ready for the regular season.

He's been working out at Eagan throughout the offseason. The Vikings are responsible for his rehab since he was injured while playing for the team.

Couldn't hurt to bring him back for a look, but TWO achilles on a running back? A position that uses the achilles like a pogo stick? Good luck.

Akers was overrated coming in as a rookie 2nd round pick. He didn't have any special burst in college and that's been true of his NFL career. Now with two Achilles, I don't know why we'd bring him back even if it is cheap.

I think Akers was on his way to significant playing time here last year, I liked him and the way he glides to the seams. I think KOC liked him a lot too.

But two achilles?? Thats a big mountain for any athlete, let alone a rb.

(07-02-2024, 08:36 AM)He MAD GAINZ Wrote: Akers was overrated coming in as a rookie 2nd round pick.  He didn't have any special burst in college and that's been true of his NFL career. Now with two Achilles, I don't know why we'd bring him back even if it is cheap.

He had a helluva lot more burst than Mattison.  lol   I thought he looked all right before he got hurt but that's just a general impression.

Might as well bring him into camp. He was clearly better than all the other RBs on our roster last year. Like you don’t really want to depend on him too much, but outside of Jones, we don’t really have a quality RB. Regardless, we probably need to bring in one more guy we wouldn’t cringe at if they had to play.

(07-02-2024, 09:43 AM)medaille Wrote: Might as well bring him into camp.  He was clearly better than all the other RBs on our roster last year.  Like you don’t really want to depend on him too much, but outside of Jones, we don’t really have a quality RB.  Regardless, we probably need to bring in one more guy we wouldn’t cringe at if they had to play.

I disagree, I like Ty Chandler. I think the team is almost ready to trust him, it took a bit. He needed to learn some things.

I thought he gave the team a spark when we signed him and ran the ball really well, also liked him as a receiver out of the backfield. Think it would be a solid signing and would make the RB room stronger. Was hoping they would bring him back.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

(07-02-2024, 09:50 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I disagree, I like Ty Chandler. I think the team is almost ready to trust him, it took a bit. He needed to learn some things.

I think the team will lean heavily on Aaron Jones experience, especially as a pass blocker. I wasn't really aware of this before, but he's apparently a very very good pass blocker. 

But I love Chandler as an RB2. In the only game where he saw more than 12 carries, he really shined.