Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will KOC change the QB's pocket?
Kirk seemed to be most comfortable dropping straight back and making his read. I would think since JJ and Darnold are more athletic that moving the pocket around would create bigger plays or easier first downs. Do you expect this type of change to the offence? 

Occasionally KOC would have Kirk fake hand off left and roll right but it never looked fluid.

Kirk looked so stiff rolling and throwing, lol. Both Darnold and JJM are more athletic, so depending on how strong the opposing team's pass rush is, yeah it'll be more of an option for KOC.

(06-18-2024, 11:07 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: Kirk looked so stiff rolling and throwing, lol. Both Darnold and JJM are more athletic, so depending on how strong the opposing team's pass rush is, yeah it'll be more of an option for KOC.

I know with all the Kirk haters and such that he had become a prickly subject.  I for one never had much confidence in him but was not a Kirk-hater.  However this raises the point that he was generally perceived to be a stiff pocket passer, although I thought he had far better success on naked bootlegs.  

I can't see KOC changing his offense as much as I see Darnold and JJM using their athleticism to make things happen with their legs when things inevitably break down.

I think it honestly depends on the skill set of the QB. You don't want a pocket collapsing on a mobile QB, when they have the ability to extend plays / move the pocket. Likewise, I'd hate to see a PP who gets the ball out quickly, running for his life.

Best scenario is a QB that can do both, and mix it up - but if I've gotta choose - I'd rather have someone get the ball out quickly, and moves the chains.

Ha, ha...

He said prickly, naked and stiff

(06-19-2024, 08:32 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Ha, ha...

He said prickly, naked and stiff

[Image: giphy.webp]

I think "change the pocket" invites the subject of Ingram having been rated at or near the bottom of IOL players for much of his young career, until seemingly getting some things sorted last season. Ditto, Bradbury.

It's a prickly subject because of the haters, because Kirk IS a pocket passer in an era with many more mobile QBs, but also because...and every functional Vikings fan has known this for years...our IOL has been hot garbage for, essentially, most of Kirk's time standing behind it. The ratings bear that out, and anyone looks like a statue when the DTs have an almost unblocked path to the QB.

I'm hoping, between improvements in IOL and our new QB(s), that it all looks MUCH better this Fall.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post: