Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LM and Danielle Hunter...
Surprised Latavius isn't getting more reps - maybe they'll come. Seems McKinnon is the back who's change of pace.

Danielle Hunter - where are you? Am I missing something here?

Hunter is still impacting the games and grading out well, just no sacks. IMO, he's still learning how to be a great NFL DE. He's so young still. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Hunter is still impacting the games and grading out well, just no sacks. IMO, he's still learning how to be a great NFL DE. He's so young still. 
This...and the sacks will come.

the DE's yesterday were to get push up the field and then make sure that Winston had to stay in the pocket as the DT push created the real pressure.   This is also a way to kill running teams is to get the DEs to get a little push up field,  but not so much that they leave a hole underneath for the QB or RB to run through.  IMO he is looking better at the position now than he did when he was getting sacks.   They will come,  I just like that we are playing better D now than what we had seen at times down the stretch last year.   Defense isnt about stats,  its about preventing the opposing offense from getting stats!

Yeah I think the DE's were supposed to contain winston. And for that they did a hell of a job. 

Actually I thought the game plans both offensive and defensively were fantastic and the coaches deserve some credit for that. 

Just like Robison before him his main job is to contain the run and allow the blindside and inside pressure to move the QB.  He has played well but it's the sacks that get you splash/noticed and those are going to Griffin.  The defense as a whole has been very good especially when you add in the fact that we played a lot of prevent vs the Saints and Buccs.  Also, he has been phased into full time starting and rotation all part of the development.  

As for Murray, why take Cook out much at all when he seems to get better as the game goes on and his pass protection has been better then expected.  I think they expected to need Murray more in the red zone for protection and some inside short yardage but Cook has looked fine in those roles as well.  Nice to have Murray and he will be needed during the course of the season but right now stick with the hot hand.   

Was interesting to see Hunter and EG swapped sides for a few plays.  Not easy to do, but something our defense loves to do, put stress on the offense to know where the pressure is coming.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
Just like Robison before him his main job is to contain the run and allow the blindside and inside pressure to move the QB.  He has played well but it's the sacks that get you splash/noticed and those are going to Griffin.  The defense as a whole has been very good especially when you add in the fact that we played a lot of prevent vs the Saints and Buccs.  Also, he has been phased into full time starting and rotation all part of the development.  
And I will just throw this out there, Hunter is ascending, but can we afford him?  So this year he was promoted to starter without so much as a competition.  Now his splash stats are down as he is required to play team defense and not just rush the passer.  Think about it.  Sacks get noticed and drive up the price. 

/sets down tinfoil. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"minny65" said:
And I will just throw this out there, Hunter is ascending, but can we afford him?  So this year he was promoted to starter without so much as a competition.  Now his splash stats are down as he is required to play team defense and not just rush the passer.  Think about it.  Sacks get noticed and drive up the price. 

/sets down tinfoil. 
i dont know that it was going to be as much about the pending contract,  but I said last year and in the offseason that I didnt expect a huge windfall of sacks with him becoming the starter.  he had a lot of success on limited snaps,  but he was put into situations where he was relatively fresh and more often than not his ears were pinned back and he was hunting QBs from the first flinch of the centers hand.  now he is burning energy on containing the run, chasing the run,  that doesnt leave nearly as much in the tank for the obvious passing downs.  not to mention he is being game planned for much more now.