Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New To Group......What I saw Yesterday
My name is Marty Soder (aka Sir Marrdro).  Just joined the group this morning.    I love talking football and I even love talking Vikings football even more.  Looks like an exciting group to do both.  

Having said that..........What I saw:

Game Plan.

I loved what the staff did on both sides of the ball
especially the way they worked on the areas of the Bucs defense that was
weakened by injuries.  A few Bucs fans
are saying we won because they were dinged. 
I'm not buying that drivel.  All
teams are dinged a bit this year.  The
good ones work through those dings and take ADVANTAGE of the dings the other
teams are having.

Defense.

DB's.   Anyone
still think Sendejo is a dang good Strong Safety?  Sure, he's not a shutdown CB, but he is great
in run support, great in tackling and even better at hitting people.  Smitty's INT should really be credited to our
SS who laid the lumber.

Also, I see lots of hacks on Trae this morning, mostly
because the Announcer highlighted how far behind he was on a reception.  The truth was, our DB's were in a C2 zone and
a RB came out into the flat/zone Trae had responsibility for.  His job was to hand off and get back in his
zone.   In the end, he is a Zone CB who
can sometimes do an OK job as a "Man" CB.  Continually hacking on him because he is not
a "Man" CB drives me crazy. 

DL (Especially our 1 and 3 Tech DT's).    Warpigs getting some yesterday.  I absolutely loved how the DE's contained
first, then rushed after the Warpigs in the middle collapsed the pocket,
pushing the QB to the DE instead of the DE's trying to chase down the QB.

Offense.

OL.  I'm still
buying into this group as a good unit that just needs to work on cohesion.  When Cook hit the "A" gap, it was a
complete line shift to the left, with the Right Tackle actually blocking down
on the "A" gap assignments.   That does not happen unless the whole line is
on the same page.  Great job by the bigs
in the trenches on that side of the ball.

RB.  I love our
rotation and I love the group that is rotating. 
Dalvin is for real.  Absolutely
love trying to figure out if it’s a run or a pass with him in there.  I know D-coords can't be happy that we are no
longer one-dimensional.

WR's.   Take Diggs
away, Adam is open. Take Adam away, Diggs is open, try to take them both away
Jarius scores a TD.......Again, something that has to have D-coords staying
awake at nights.

QB.  Again, most
Bucs are saying he had a great game because their D was dinged.  I'm not buying that.  He still had to make the reads and he still
had to make the throws.  One thing I am
surprised (even though I knew), he sure has a cannon for an arm.  And pretty accurate to say the least.

In the end, this was a great game to watch. Wasn't on the
edge of my seat the whole game, but sometimes its nice to watch a boring
blowout.

As always, SKOL my brothers and sisters.

Welcome Marrdro.  I'm not on here as much as I used to be, and yesterday in particular, I was finishing up hop harvest here, and kept madly checking my iPhone for scores and updates on the game, so I wasn't able to make any of the observations that you (or anyone else) made, but the stats stick out for themselves.    Thanks for the post and Welcome...now about the fridge..it's empty after a W, and it's your turn to stock it.

Welcome, good write-up...

Sendejo has grown into a solid S. - not a cover guy but playing smarter,  Waynes concerns me, plays off too much, the kid from Seattle (Brickman? Brockman?) sucked yesterday. 

Cook ground it out...Really impressed with our starting two WR's.

OL not a hot mess, interested to see how they gel as the year progresses. 

We're going to need Sam back, Keenum is a back-up for a reason. Where has Hunter been? 

Welcome Sir Marrdro. Good observations. I just read a Mark Craig article where Shurmur schemed to take Gerald McCoy out of the game plan. Injuries or not, that kind of planning and execution on TBs best defender is a good sign of things to come.

I'm still down on Waynes. His cushion at the line is way too much for the type of D we normally run. I think he lacks confidence in everything but his speed. Too often he's trailing the WR at the catch. That's a technique issue. An INT here and there is nice, but I'd rather see tighter coverage overall at the risk of an occasional deep shot.

I want to see what Brock is about after he goals through Zimmmers schooling for DBs

Welcome aboard!! 

Howdy and Welcome!  Good to have new people on board.

Welcome Marrdro,  nice write up and I agree on many points.  I've been saying for a few years that Sendejo isnt as bad as many fans want to put on him.  Yes there is room for improvements,  but he doesnt hurts us as much as he helps us... they cant all be superstars on defense and any safety is going to look lacking playing next to Harrison Smith.

I have also been irritated that they havent been getting JW involved in the offense more,  he has never really gotten a lot of opportunities,  but it always seems like when he is in there that he is making plays on the few looks that he does get.

The Bucs D might be a little dinged, ( i know Vikings fans would be saying the same if we were in their place)  however yesterday everything was clicking for the Vikes,  it might have been closer,  but the result would have been the same IMO.

anyway,  welcome aboard.

welcome aboard and a great write up.  I was impressed with both sides of the ball yesterday.  Hopefully the team continues to get better.

Welcome aboard.  You picked a good time to join.  The mood here is always better after a nice butt kickin'.  B)