Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will Jerruh do? What should he do?
Dak Prescott

3x Pro Bowler

30 years old

Entering final year of his four-year, $160 million contract extension that he signed in March of 2021. This will be fun to watch.

(05-19-2024, 12:59 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Dak Prescott

3x Pro Bowler

30 years old

Entering final year of his four-year, $160 million contract extension that he signed in March of 2021. This will be fun to watch.

Good question. I think it just depends on where the Cowboys see themselves in respect to their proverbial window. Im still convinced that from a GM perspective there are only two kinds of QBs in the NFL: those you can win with and those you move on from. I'd put Prescott decidedly in the 1st group. So I sorta see it like Cousins, Goff, Murray, etc. They may not be "elite" QBs, but unless you have an upgrade waiting in the wings ready to take over, you have to pay them. You really don't have much choice. 

Washington has used 11 different starters since moving on from Cousins. Raiders moved on from Carr. Great, they have money now. And nothing at QB.

(05-19-2024, 02:21 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Good question. I think it just depends on where the Cowboys see themselves in respect to their proverbial window. Im still convinced that from a GM perspective there are only two kinds of QBs in the NFL: those you can win with and those you move on from. I'd put Prescott decidedly in the 1st group. So I sorta see it like Cousins, Goff, Murray, etc. They may not be "elite" QBs, but unless you have an upgrade waiting in the wings ready to take over, you have to pay them. You really don't have much choice. 

Washington has used 11 different starters since moving on from Cousins. Raiders moved on from Carr. Great, they have money now. And nothing at QB.

But is it in reality always that cut and dried?

Here's the thing that could muck it up - and it happened in MN...

That guaranteed thing...I'm sure the Vikings believed they could win with Cousins - but weren't going to commit. 

Maybe with Dak only being 30, this doesnt come to fruition. But it could.

He should have been finding a replacement the last 2 drafts, but there's no better time than the present to start their future, move on already.

I think its too late for anything other than sign him to another contract. What's the alternative? The Cowboys have some talent on that roster. They aren't going to bag the next 2 seasons.

(05-19-2024, 02:49 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: But is it in reality always that cut and dried?

Here's the thing that could muck it up - and it happened in MN...

That guaranteed thing...I'm sure the Vikings believed they could win with Cousins - but weren't going to commit. 

Maybe with Dak only being 30, this doesnt come to fruition. But it could.

I think that's different. Cousins was 35 coming off a serious injury. I wanted to sign him and I think it was a mistake not to, but you can at least understand the reluctance to commit to more than 1 or 2 years. 

Dak is 30, which is a baby in QB terms. And he's pretty damn good. All Pro last year, threw for 4500 yards, 36 TDs and 9 INTs. Cowboys would be fools for thinking they can just replace that kind of production in the draft. 

That will be one helluva a QB hitting the market if Jerry screws this up.

Fair enough and I get the point...

But there is something lacking on that Cowboy team, and there has been for a while.

I would label them under vs over achievers. I dont know if it starts and ends with Jerruh? Or McCartney or both? I wouldn't label Prescott a winner.

They are kinda like the Grinch b4 he found his heart - 2 sizes too small.
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post:

(05-20-2024, 09:20 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: Fair enough and I get the point...

But there is something lacking on that Cowboy team, and there has been for a while.

I would label them under vs over achievers. I dont know if it starts and ends with Jerruh? Or McCartney or both? I wouldn't label Prescott a winner.

They are kinda like the Grinch b4 he found his heart - 2 sizes too small.

This is how I saw the Vikings with Kirk, not a bad QB, maybe not the true problem, but I didnt see him as a solution either, I am the same with Dak, he has some skills, but for some reason there is always a disconnect around the team and after so long if you cant find and fix that disconnect, blow it up and start over. There are likely cases for rebuilding around an incumbent QB, but it seems like teams that try and keep building around a guy that never really consistently shine when its needed, never really get over the hump themselves. I know the market is what the market is, but to keep paying top market money for guys that dont ever really deliver at a top market level and carry a team is just a recipe for football purgatory IMO.

(05-20-2024, 09:33 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: This is how I saw the Vikings with Kirk,  not a bad QB,  maybe not the true problem,  but I didnt see him as a solution either,  I am the same with Dak,  he has some skills, but for some reason  there is always a disconnect around the team and after so long if you cant find and fix that disconnect,  blow it up and start over.  There are likely cases for rebuilding around an incumbent QB,  but it seems like teams that try and keep building around a guy that never really consistently shine when its needed,  never really get over the hump themselves.  I know the market is what the market is,  but to keep paying top market money for guys that dont ever really deliver at a top market level and carry a team is just  a recipe for football purgatory IMO.

Cowboys problems go back b4 McCartney, I was delighted Jerruh selected him as their HC. 

Like the Vikings in contract 2 with Kirko, they will have to pay big and he'll get more than Goff/year. 

Here's the deal for me (outside of GB) there is not another franchise I wish purgatory on more than the Cowboys or Saints.

Tough call and I'm guessing their fans are split, just like many of us were with Kirk.

I think Dallas may actually surprise people and move on from him. Jerruh famously said they're all-in this year and most assumed that meant they'd be signing guys and making trades to load up. What if he meant, "It's our last ride with Dak"?

Don't forget, in between Aikman, Romo, and Prescott they had some years with dreadful QB play (Quincy Carter??). Jerry isn't getting any younger but is that enough of a reason to give Prescott $250M GTD or whatever the number will be?

I think they'll lock up CeeDee and Parsons and swallow a down season or maybe two, while they search for the next guy.