Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netflix and Christmas day games

I have Netflix, so I'll be watching. If some games are on other platforms I don't have, I won't be watching. its simple for me. The older I get, the less NFL games I watch quite honestly. And I like watching games other than the Vikings. I don't begrudge the NFL for doing what they are doing with this. I hate all the commercial breaks, so the NFL Redzone Channel is heaven for me. It's fun.

I don't begrudge the NFL either but I question their strategy. The NFL is founded on availability and tradition. When it's no longer readily available, the fans will find different traditions. Right now the NFL is the only game in town but they are cracking the door for competition to sneak in and steal some viewership, viewership that they may never get back. I wonder if it's worth the few extra bucks for the NFL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NorseFeathers's post:

(05-16-2024, 06:42 AM)NorseFeathers Wrote: I don't begrudge the NFL either but I question their strategy. The NFL is founded on availability and tradition. When it's no longer readily available, the fans will find different traditions. Right now the NFL is the only game in town but they are cracking the door for competition to sneak in and steal some viewership, viewership that they may never get back. I wonder if it's worth the few extra bucks for the NFL.

I hear you, I do.....but this has been said about the NFL for two decades now or more. No competition sticks against the NFL machine. Tradition is something that only those that have aged out of the demographic talk about. 65% of NFL fans are age 25-39.....that passed me by awhile ago. So although I completely understand what you are saying, the NFL know longer cares what I think at age 57. I'm also a diehard, so they know they got me anyway. I'm the dumbass waiting for Minnesota to do something they've never done, shame on me I suppose.

I always hear about how I'm not the NFL target market.. they want the 20 somethings...well those 20 somethings can't afford 10 paid streaming services in most instances, so how does this help the NFL?

I agree the may be getting over their tips with their greed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(05-16-2024, 06:53 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: I always hear about how I'm not the NFL target market.. they want the 20 somethings...well those 20 somethings can't afford 10 paid streaming services in most instances, so how does this help the NFL? 

I agree the may be getting over their tips with their greed.

This is why:

"Seven weeks after the game, the study concluded that 71 percent of the users who purchased Peacock for the wild-card game remained subscribers. Peacock paid $110 million for the exclusive postseason game. In 2024, the exclusive streaming game will go to Amazon, for $120 million. "

Its not that the NFL just wants 20-somethings, they want the fence sitters and as you mention, the kids that make money. You think kids can't afford streaming services?? lol, they waste money on far more expensive and stupid shit than that. I think there is definitely greed here, but what else is new with Corporate America? The NFL is doing this because they can.

(05-16-2024, 06:42 AM)NorseFeathers Wrote: I don't begrudge the NFL either but I question their strategy. The NFL is founded on availability and tradition. When it's no longer readily available, the fans will find different traditions. Right now the NFL is the only game in town but they are cracking the door for competition to sneak in and steal some viewership, viewership that they may never get back. I wonder if it's worth the few extra bucks for the NFL.

Those viewers they may never get back are replaced by three times that amount of new viewers. Like every business, the NFL is willing to lose nickels to gain dimes.

NFL renenue in 2014 $8B approx
NFL revenue in 2022 $12B approx
NFL revenue in 2023 $19B approx

Why The NFL Could Reap More Than $126 Billion In TV Money By 2033
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian...1e78ea15b5

This article has a chart of NFL viewership. Since it's viewership peak in 2014 and approximated $8B in revenue, viewership is down but revenue has more than doubled.

Turns out, I was wrong.
Looks like surviving the holiday gatherings is about to get harder.

I’m so used to sailing the seven seas to get the Vikings that at this point it doesn’t matter what platform or channel they’re on.

What’s hilarious. When the NFL started on prime (which we have) it was more reliable on the pirates sites then prime.

All the NFL is doing is taking advantage of how consumers consume media.

They be stoopid if they didnt -- and they aint stoopid.

My over/under bet for the first NFL game in Dubai is 2028.

This is living their dream.
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post: