Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Aren't you glad this didn't go down like this?
I know we lost mid-rounders, but I'm still a bit giddy getting JJM + Turner and have 2025 #1 pick.

Am so glad this didnt actually happen:
====================================================

Charley Walters
April 20, 2024 at 10:15 p.m.

The way it looks now, as it has for months, the Minnesota Vikings will take quarterback J.J. McCarthy from national champion Michigan in Thursday’s NFL draft.

To get McCarthy, the Vikings will trade their Nos. 11 and 23 first-round picks to either the Arizona Cardinals, who have the No. 4 pick, or the Los Angeles Chargers, who have No. 5.

QBs Caleb Williams from Southern California, Jayden Daniels from LSU and Drake Maye from North Carolina are expected to go Nos. 1, 2 and 3, in order, to the Chicago Bears, Washington Commanders and New England Patriots.

The Cardinals or Chargers could also require the Vikings’ 2025 first-round pick in a move up for McCarthy. The Vikings would be reluctant because the 2025 pick is expected to be high in that the team seems destined for a last-place NFC North Division finish this year. 

The Vikings, if necessary, instead could try to include their 2026 first-rounder to get McCarthy.
[-] The following 2 users Like purplefaithful's post:

Yes. It's like getting Dallas Turner at #17 was a gift.

It really did work out great. Now we just need both those guys to pan out and we'll be sitting pretty.

Preserving that 2025 first round pick is huge. We'll see where it ends up, but even if we're picking early we have options. We can stick and pick if there is a player we love or we can trade back and supplement our lost draft capital.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MAD GAINZ's post:

(05-13-2024, 04:03 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: It really did work out great.  Now we just need both those guys to pan out and we'll be sitting pretty.

Preserving that 2025 first round pick is huge. We'll see where it ends up, but even if we're picking early we have options.  We can stick and pick if there is a player we love or we can trade back and supplement our lost draft capital.

I think that's part of reason they were so willing to give up those middle rounders. They knew they'd get at least one 3rd round comp pick, maybe others. Maybe a pick from the Falcons. Vikings will probably draft around the middle of the 1st and so adding a 2nd rounder is as simple as trading down 10 spots. Opportunities to recoup middle rounders are many. Opportunities to draft the best defensive player in the draft are not.

Trade back! Trade back?

6-7 wins means a top 10 draft pick - typically blue chip territory.

(05-13-2024, 05:19 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Trade back! Trade back?

Look, I love the optimism, but we're not going to be picking that high.

(05-13-2024, 06:02 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: Look, I love the optimism, but we're not going to be picking that high.

Lofl!

Here I thought I'd get nicked for being an eeyore...
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

(05-13-2024, 05:19 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: Trade back! Trade back?

I'd put the odds right now (subject to change) at 70/30 we trade down next draft.  Buuuuuut, if we are picking top 10 and there is a player we love, then we should definitely stick and pick.  

Buuuuuuut if we're in the 11-16 range...  I think the talent will probably be similar for the positions we'd be looking at and the temptation of a trade down to acquire some extra draft capital will be high.  Heck, if we wanted to get crazy...  we could do what Kwesi should have done and trade way down to 28 or later and get a future first for 2026 to really load up some talent around McCarthy.

(05-13-2024, 03:35 PM)purplefaithful Wrote: I know we lost mid-rounders, but I'm still a bit giddy getting JJM + Turner and have 2025 #1 pick.

Am so glad this didnt actually happen:
====================================================

Charley Walters
April 20, 2024 at 10:15 p.m.

The way it looks now, as it has for months, the Minnesota Vikings will take quarterback J.J. McCarthy from national champion Michigan in Thursday’s NFL draft.

To get McCarthy, the Vikings will trade their Nos. 11 and 23 first-round picks to either the Arizona Cardinals, who have the No. 4 pick, or the Los Angeles Chargers, who have No. 5.

QBs Caleb Williams from Southern California, Jayden Daniels from LSU and Drake Maye from North Carolina are expected to go Nos. 1, 2 and 3, in order, to the Chicago Bears, Washington Commanders and New England Patriots.

The Cardinals or Chargers could also require the Vikings’ 2025 first-round pick in a move up for McCarthy. The Vikings would be reluctant because the 2025 pick is expected to be high in that the team seems destined for a last-place NFC North Division finish this year. 

The Vikings, if necessary, instead could try to include their 2026 first-rounder to get McCarthy.
 I can’t believe this bozo is still employed. Charley has an almost 100% miss rate on his reporting. Just clueless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Waterboy's post:

(05-13-2024, 04:03 PM)MAD GAINZ Wrote: It really did work out great.  Now we just need both those guys to pan out and we'll be sitting pretty.

Preserving that 2025 first round pick is huge. We'll see where it ends up, but even if we're picking early we have options.  We can stick and pick if there is a player we love or we can trade back and supplement our lost draft capital.

IMO, Dallas Turner is a lock to be an impact player. I have zero fan worries about him. JJM is not a lock, so I'll be nervously watching and hoping the necessary development happens and then we'll have a franchise QB. 

So glad the team has their 2025 #1 pick for what you mention: options. If they stink this year, they could get a haul to move down and trade with a QB-hungry team. 2 possible excellent choices at DT next year where Minnesota might pick is either Deone Walker of Kentucky or Kenneth Grant of Michigan. Both big, high energy guys inside.