Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Athletic: McCarthy has 'loads of talent' says Beck
https://theathletic.com/5483239/2024/05/...john-beck/

Very cool and in-depth story on JJM and if you give this kid time, he could be the real deal. Really illustrates that his ceiling is very high. QB camp coach/mentor Beck mentions he's learning to 'carry a full set of clubs in his bag', not just the big wood. Pretty honest article that aligns exactly with what KOC has said about him and how important the Plan will be for him. Talks about his throwing mechanics and how he generates torque on this throws, comes from his hockey background. Big time arm when he lets it rip.

I've seen plenty of throws like 3, 4 and 5. High velocity, threading the needle passes. His tape is filled with them. What you don't see a lot of are deep passes and touch throws, so the first two in this clip are good to see. 

https://x.com/verysadvikings/status/1789878968545423373

(05-13-2024, 09:05 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: I've seen plenty of throws like 3, 4 and 5. High velocity, threading the needle passes. His tape is filled with them. What you don't see a lot of are deep passes and touch throws, so the first two in this clip are good to see. 

https://x.com/verysadvikings/status/1789878968545423373

He throws a bunch to the middle of the field, hence the laser beam passes. That lack of fear of throwing over the middle is going to be a big part of his success, IMO. That and his awesome play action. He'll learn to layer throws.....it's what Beck mentions in the article.

That was a good read...

These are tricky waters to navigate, can't stress enough; time, patience, reps...
[-] The following 1 user Likes purplefaithful's post:

Honestly, unlike most on this board, I have not studied JJM's highlight videos or any other scouting tips...I watched several Michigan games and was suitably impressed with how he kept drives alive...but I did not go back and analyze his throws. So mea culpa on me.

Now that he's wearing purple (and while I admit that I was pulling for Nix pre-draft, that train done left the station), I'm pretty darn impressed with his ability to thread the needle on some downfield throws. Thanks for sharing those highlights.

In perfectly 20-20 hindsight, he's got the right size (6'3" 219 lbs), he'll fill out a bit, he's not fragile, he was certainly not afraid to run the ball at Michigan...everything I see and read makes me more confident that this is a long-term, solid choice. I am totally on board with letting him sit for at least a year, and for the sake of the next 15 or so years, I'd like Sam Darnold to pleasantly surprise us all this season (and even next!) While I hate the Packers with a passion, you cannot disagree with their strategy of being able to have both Rodgers and now Love to sit for three years.

Okay, he's young (just turned 21), and Michigan "only" threw about 22 times per game on average. Not much of a sample size, but still just shy of 3,000 yardds for the season? Plus about 250 yards rushing on avg the last two seasons. What else can I say that hasn't already been said?

It's funny, because I do get Bronco's notifications (I lived there for 10 years a LONG time ago, I went to lots of Bronco games and I have a daughter who lives there still)...their sports media is soooo over the top impressed with Nix. And of course I'm sure you'll hear exactly the same in Chicago, Boston, DC and Atlanta with their top respective QB picks, right? 'Tis the season of everyone claiming that they had the best draft...ever.

(05-13-2024, 09:25 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: He throws a bunch to the middle of the field, hence the laser beam passes. That lack of fear of throwing over the middle is going to be a big part of his success, IMO. That and his awesome play action. He'll learn to layer throws.....it's what Beck mentions in the article.

I'll say it again, I think if he was on a team that threw more, we'd have never got him at 10.  Pro style offense, only QB in the first round that actually huddled and called plays, took snaps from under center, oozes leadership, he's accurate, can run and extend plays, isn't afraid to throw over the middle, big arm.

Then you look around at the other QBs drafted before him...  Daniels takes a ton of sacks (one of those stats that typically carries over to the NFL), doesn't throw over the middle, has a good, not great arm, good deep passer, electric runner.  But if I had to pick one for sure bust, it'd be him.  His arm isn't good enough to only live outside the hashes in the NFL.  He could do it in college because he had two stud first round picks at WR and is physically more talented than most of his opponents.  I think he has Justin Fields written all over him.

Penix has wheels, but doesn't run and doesn't handle pressure well.  Maye reminds me a lot of Josh Allen without the howitzer, but if he doesn't clean up his footwork, he could be a turnover machine.  It's going to be interesting to see how these guys pan out in a couple years.

I like our guy a lot.  Like Sticky said, let him grow and throw him in when he's ready.
[-] The following 4 users Like MAD GAINZ's post:

(05-13-2024, 11:42 AM)purplefaithful Wrote: That was a good read...

These are tricky waters to navigate, can't stress enough; time, patience, reps...

“Failure during some of these camps should be welcomed with open arms,” Beck said. “Try to fit the ball in, and if you can’t, you can’t. Your decision-making (experience) grows. Your ability to know what you can and can’t do grows.”

There are some challenges to this, though. Miss passes, and McCarthy could feel like he’s losing. Managing failure again and again is a challenge for hypercompetitive people. Will teammates notice? Will the media? What will they think?

I think managing a young QB's psyche is important.  Every one of them has been a celebrity in high school, his hometown and in college. They get star treatment everywhere they go. I think even a small amount of public failure can really mess with the mind of a kid who's used to that. I wouldn't just be patient with him. I'd chain him to the bench. I wouldn't even activate him in 2024. Vikings aren't going to the Super Bowl until 2025 anyway. If Sammy D gets hurt, put in Mullens.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonBells's post:

Lots of NFL throws in here. KOC knows this guy can put it anywhere on the field, lets him use all his plays:

I actually saw the fearlessness on his frozen ropes as the leading element of his highlight reels, his belief that he could hit those quick windows reliably. I was impressed by that, his mobility, and his ambition. I was, and am, great with the pick.

I'm also fine with Darnold having some resurgence while JJM gets some seasoning at the pro level, if possible. I'd prefer to skip any 6-11 or similar seasons along the way, obviously; I feel like we've suffered more than enough as it is.
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!

JJM is already going to do one thing that both Zimmer and KOC tried to get Kirko to do (and he finally did under KOC): let your WRer make a play for you. Throw it to them in less than ideal coverage situations. Certainly pick your spots, but have that mentality. Yes, coaches love a QB that protects the football, its obviously important. But when you see a good one on one situation, go let Jefferson and Addison go get it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post: