Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Order the corners
No superstars, but this CB room is thick with solid, but mostly 2nd-tier talent. I was wondering how everyone might rank the CBs. The top 5 are all pretty close together IMO. Gonna be a good competition between those 5. 

CB1: Murphy
CB2: Blackmon
CB3: Evans
CB4: Griffin
CB5: K. Jackson
------------<< 53 cutoff
CB6: Booth
CB7: Joejuan Williams
CB8: AJ Green
CB9: McGlothern

Not sure that I would rank Evans so high. Time will tell, eventually.

What about Cine? Or is he a safety? I don't remember

(04-28-2024, 06:32 PM)FLVike Wrote: What about Cine? Or is he a safety? I don't remember

I just wonder if he is even going to make the roster this year..

On the corners, we've invested four draft picks in the last three years at the position that have been 4th round picks or higher. There's talent there and it's up to Flores to get this group firing on all cylinders. I think we are going to see a lot of Blackmon and Evans on the outside with Murphy working the slot, and some Kyree Jackson sprinkled in. Going to be a battle for that last career spot between Booth and Griffin

I read where Flores wants to go a lot more man this year...

Not sure how these guys rank in that vs off-coverage?

1. Murphy
  2. Griffen (brought in because he is experienced playing man)
  3. Blackmon (NFL draft profile described him as an aggressive man-cover cornerback).
  4. K Jackson
  5. Evans 
  6. Booth
  7. Williams
  8. Cannon Fodder

5-7 are fighting for the last roster spot.

Wow that is not a very impressive list, Murphy was underwhelming last year and he easily is #1 and that is not saying much. We have to hope Jackson ends up being a steal and #2 on that list. I was really excited the way the board was falling for us at 23 as it looked like we were were going to get one of the top CBs and thought outside of QB that CB and DT were are biggest needs by far, so was really surprised we traded up to take an edge after spending a lot of money there in free agency and not making any significant free agency moves at CB, I do not consider Griffen to be an upgrade at all and was a really poor move when you you consider it will cost us a comp pick. I had seen some rumblings that we could consider Xavien Howard, but do not see how we could make the money work.

(04-28-2024, 09:45 PM)JR44 Wrote: Wow that is not a very impressive list, Murphy was underwhelming last year and he easily is #1 and that is not saying much.  We have to hope Jackson ends up being a steal and #2 on that list.  I was really excited the way the board was falling for us at 23 as it looked like we were were going to get one of the top CBs and thought outside of QB that CB and DT were are biggest needs by far, so was really surprised we traded up to take an edge after spending a lot of money there in free agency and not making any significant free agency moves at CB, I do not consider Griffen to be an upgrade at all and was a really poor move when you you consider it will cost us a comp pick. I had seen some rumblings that we could consider Xavien Howard, but do not see how we could make the money work.

Even after free agency, I was still in favor of taking an edge over cornerback because I wasnt sure Van Ginkel was an every down player as a pass rusher. I think Turner is a far superior player in that department and gives us a better chance to replicate the juice Hunter brought for our defense. We can now use Van Ginkel as a change of pace and depth player, which is huge. I think we are going to be able to get after the quarterback. 

I just think we've spent a lot of resources at the corner position. Jackson makes four draft picks in the 4th round or higher in the last three drafts that we've taken a corner on top of bringing in Murphy in free agency. It's now Flores's job to turn the pieces we have into a functional unit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post:

(04-28-2024, 06:09 PM)Montana Tom Wrote: Not sure that I would rank Evans so high.  Time will tell, eventually.

Just depends on which guy we see in '24. Weeks 1-15 he was the 21st ranked CB in terms of yards per coverage snap. That's CB1 territory. The last three weeks he was dogshit, mostly in run defense. I think weeks 1-15 is closer to his reality, but he might now be on the wrong side of Flores, a place I wouldn't want to be.

Khyree Jackson is going to make the final 53 roster. Talented enough to be recruited by Alabama and now with some perspective I expect this to be a pick we'll be talking about for a long time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post: