Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Gabriel Murphy be the Vikings next UDFA steal?
Could Gabriel Murphy be the Vikings next UDFA steal? (msn.com)

The Minnesota Vikings struck gold by grabbing Ivan Pace Jr. as part of their UDFA class last year and they may have done it again after signing UCLA edge rusher Gabriel Murphy once the 2024 NFL Draft concluded on Saturday afternoon.

Murphy collected 38 tackles (16 for loss) and eight sacks in 13 games for the Bruins last season but his analytical numbers should excite Vikings fans.

According to Pro Football Focus, Murphy ranked seventh in the nation with 61 pressures last season and his 87.6 pass-rushing grade ranked 28th among qualifiers and was just below Vikings first-round pick Dallas Turner (89.3).

While PFF grades aren't a precursor for success, they played a role in Paces' ascension one year ago. Pace was the top-rated college linebacker in overall grade and pass-rushing during his final season at Cincinnati but fell due to his size.

article continues......
he Minnesota Vikings struck gold by grabbing Ivan Pace Jr. as part of their UDFA class last year and they may have done it again after signing UCLA edge rusher Gabriel Murphy once the 2024 NFL Draft concluded on Saturday afternoon.
Murphy collected 38 tackles (16 for loss) and eight sacks in 13 games for the Bruins last season but his analytical numbers should excite Vikings fans.

According to Pro Football Focus, Murphy ranked seventh in the nation with 61 pressures last season and his 87.6 pass-rushing grade ranked 28th among qualifiers and was just below Vikings first-round pick Dallas Turner (89.3).
While PFF grades aren't a precursor for success, they played a role in Paces' ascension one year ago. Pace was the top-rated college linebacker in overall grade and pass-rushing during his final season at Cincinnati but fell due to his size.
[-] The following 2 users Like minny65's post:

I'm curious to see if Murphy makes the team at the expense of PJ2. Murphy is a Flores guy. PJ2 was drafted by the prior regime. PJ2 is on the final year of his contract. Why not keep & develop the player who just joined the team.

(04-28-2024, 03:11 PM)Knucklehead Wrote: I'm curious to see if Murphy makes the team at the expense of PJ2. Murphy is a Flores guy. PJ2 was drafted by the prior regime. PJ2 is on the final year of his contract. Why not keep & develop the player who just joined the team.

I think so. PJ2 had an opportunity last year and didn't take advantage, while Wonnum did. DJ got paid for it too. I think it's the end for Patrick Jones, with Turner, Greenard and Van Ginkel ahead of him, not to mention younger, cheaper and higher upside players like Andre Carter and Murphy in the mix.

Short arms. Its what gets Pace in trouble sometimes as well. It can be overcome, but it makes life harder as a LB in the NFL on a play-by-play basis. Harder to be consistent.

Take Dallas Turner for example: long arms. Longer than what they should be for his height. Its an advantage, allows him to not get caught up with a lineman or pop, swim and bend at full speed to get around that corner. Imperative for Edge guys. I know Murphy isn't going to be too much an Edge rusher (at least I don't think so) but short arms are still a disadvantage.

Could turn out to be a good situational/rotation type pass rusher, which every team needs…