Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Draft- NFC North
On paper we'll finish last in the division. Not ideal going into year 3 of a new regime, when in theory the pieces should be aligning, but we're likely a year away from that. And that's fine. Re-sign Jets, keep Darrisaw happy, develop JJM, your DBs, and next offseason load up the line on both sides of the ball and the RB room.

Eric Eager put it best - they failed the competitive part of the competitive rebuild and found themselves suddenly looking up at the rest of the division.

Kwesi swung for the fences last week because there isn't really any other option, certainly not one that has a shot at keeping him in the g.m. chair longer than a couple more years.

(04-30-2024, 09:47 AM)pattersaur Wrote: On paper we'll finish last in the division. Not ideal going into year 3 of a new regime, when in theory the pieces should be aligning, but we're likely a year away from that. And that's fine. Re-sign Jets, keep Darrisaw happy, develop JJM, your DBs, and next offseason load up the line on both sides of the ball and the RB room.

I agree with this and am okay with it as long as the trajectory for McCarthy and the rest of the young players on the roster is pointing up. I guess my fear would be that all three of the other teams in the division are poised to make long runs themselves with the young talent each has accumulated, so it's going to be a real dog fight to win the division these next five years or so and I can see the division routinely sending two, maybe three teams to the playoffs

(04-30-2024, 10:12 AM)comet52 Wrote: Eric Eager put it best - they failed the competitive part of the competitive rebuild and found themselves suddenly looking up at the rest of the division. 

Kwesi swung for the fences last week because there isn't really any other option, certainly not one that has a shot at keeping him in the g.m. chair longer than a couple more years.

I guess the major part of why I don't agree with this are the massive injuries the team incurred last year, including the starting QB. The opponents of the 'competitive rebuild' always conveniently leave this out. The team was fighting for a playoff spot almost until the end with unbelievable injury turnover. Safe to assume without all of those injuries, its a playoff team. Easily.

(04-30-2024, 10:45 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: I guess the major part of why I don't agree with this are the massive injuries the team incurred last year, including the starting QB. The opponents of the 'competitive rebuild' always conveniently leave this out. The team was fighting for a playoff spot almost until the end with unbelievable injury turnover. Safe to assume without all of those injuries, its a playoff team. Easily.

I think it's a "maybe" we would have made the playoffs. Let's not forget we were beaten at home by a Brandon Staley coached Chargers team when we had both Cousins and Jefferson playing. My contention was always that we never evaluated the roster realistically and bent to the competitive ideals of the Wilfs. I'm happy with this draft, but in hindsight would we have been better off trading Hunter and Cousins while they were tradable assets for draft capital? My answer was always "absolutely YES" because I never thought we were legitimate contenders with them anyways the last two seasons. The additional draft picks would have been helpful in continuing to address holes on this roster with young talent.
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post:

I know this; we were upset many times by back-up QBs that many cannot even remember their names. But I know a few like Cooper Rush, who has done nothing since, and the back-up for Mahomes a few years ago, see I forgot his name. Also, here is a really big one - Danny Dimes with the help of Ed Donatell eliminated us in a home playoff game. Not to mention Bryce Young was just one of many rookie QBs that took us to the wire. So my point is that the game is not played on paper. We have a team that is very capable of winning now.