Poll: Would "settling" for Penix/Nix plus Darnold bring years of doom?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, Darnold plus Penix/Nix is Ragnarok!
25.00%
6 25.00%
No, Darnold and either of those QBs is plenty to build with.
75.00%
18 75.00%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Would Darnold plus Nix/Penix be unthinkable?
OK, so I'm my usual annoyed self, beyond tired of the rumors, speculation, and the 78 billion mock drafts plus that much speculation regarding tampering punishments over Cousins. That said, I've been thinking:

what if we DIDN'T package a ton of trades to get into the top 3-4, and got Penix or Nix with an existing pick...to go along with Darnold, who is (hopefully) determined to redeem himself in what is likely his last chance?

I don't watch much college football beyond NDSU, which was my family's alma mater. I can't begin to keep track of all of these guys. I've seen a game or two, and I think Chicago is about to shoot themselves in the foot-again-which should be hilarious...

...but, that's all I've got. What do you all think?
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zanary's post:

When we traded for 23 it felt like Maye or bust and I really hope that it happens, but I am beginning to be more comfortable with Nix/Penix (preferably Nix) and using the other 1st rounder the DT that we desperately need. My biggest concern would be giving up multiple 1sts to trade up for JJM as I would be okay with him at 11, but do not see him having the value of two 1sts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JR44's post:

I know there are whispers about how the Vikings like Penix, but I cant imagine they like him more than Maye or JJ.

Problem is they need a trade partner.

I would take Penix all day. I would go nix on Nix.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FLVike's post:

I had to Google Ragnarok to figure out what you meant. Sounds like it's not a good thing. Confused

I think Darnold is going to have a career year. I also don't think there's a HUGE difference between Maye, JJ, Nix and Penix. But I say that having no freaking clue which ones will flourish in the NFL and which ones will bust. And I say that knowing that nobody else does either. 

But I do want KOC to get the guy HE wants. He was damn sure right about Cousins. I cautiously expect him to be right about the rookie. So that's what I want: I want us to draft the guy KOC wants. Damn the cost.
[-] The following 2 users Like MaroonBells's post:

I guess I posted this for a couple of reasons: first, because I literally can't keep track of all the college players, there's no fuggin' way, and so many of them fail to impress at the NFL level as it is that I am beyond skeptical of basically...everything, and everyone, regarding the "gotta have" first round QBs every year.

Second, relating to the first...Darnold is not long from being one of those guys, Baker Mayfield has managed a resurgence, and I guess I'm weighing whether I think a guy like Sam, who's gotta be hungry to fix his career/credibility and has NFL experience is really any more of a long-shot than a fresh 22-year-old that's never played at the NFL level.

My personal hope is that we DON'T trade up any further, get one of KOC's preferred QBs at 11 or 23, and hopefully have all the QBs we need for years, so we can have some peace from those rumors during offseasons....
It's Got to be This Year, KAM, KOC, and Flores...Bring It!

Unthinkable? No. Disappointing? For me, yes. I just hope whoever we draft to be the QB can play.

I'm a Nix fan myself. I don't care that his completion percentage is bloated. If we cannot trade up for Maye then Nix is next on my list. I'd much rather get a top defensive player at 11 and spin the roulette wheel that Nix will be there at 23. Darnold is 26. Nix is 24. The advantage of Maye/McCarthy is their age.

(04-18-2024, 11:15 AM)AGRforever Wrote: I'm a Nix fan myself.  I don't care that his completion percentage is bloated.  If we cannot trade up for Maye then Nix is next on my list.  I'd much rather get a top defensive player at 11 and spin the roulette wheel that Nix will be there at 23.  Darnold is 26.  Nix is 24.  The advantage of Maye/McCarthy is their age.

And if Nix isn't there? The visual of KAM with his tail between his legs telling the Wilfs they need to print up a few more Darnold jerseys is a sad, sad picture. If you and the team have Nix as QB4 they'd be crazy to pass on him at 11. The risk far outweighs the reward, IMO.
[-] The following 2 users Like pattersaur's post:

Was listening to Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller today. Miller is very apprehensive about Nix. Said he was terrible at Auburn, and while he put up numbers in Oregon there was nothing that stood out to him in a manufactured offense. Said he was sacked only 10 times the last two seasons which equated to being sacked once every 80 pass attempts. Said he was very, very average looking during Senior Bowl practice week. Had Penix ahead of Nix by a wide margin and said Penix has looked the part through this entire draft process.