Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As important as arm talent?
Quote:"Few scouts can go into the mind of a young man and determine whether he is really confident about what he can do.

So you can sign him based on his ability but then he's got to be successful to be confident.

Once he becomes confident, that's when you've got something."           
                                                                                              Quote from Tim McCarver

Peyton Manning, a strong advocate that young QB's should play, on Bryce Young's brutal rookie year "So, I think he will benefit from that, learning the speed of the game. Look, Bryce played at the highest level of competition, playing in Alabama, but there's still an adjustment. I think he's—you can figure out what you can do and what you can't do, and he'll benefit from that and be better for it." 

I'm not so sure I agree with Manning's comments on young QB's playing early.  I think McCarver's theory captures and explains a lot. That what separated Manning from most rookie QB's is that deep down inside, where you can't measure or test, Manning was confident in what he could do. History would suggest that Manning was one of the exceptions. Young QB's are essentially having to learn a new game in front of a national audience all the while having to carry the weight of an entire franchise and fan base. Most rookies just aren't ready.

So my questions are, does unflappable inner confidence mean as much or more than arm talent and how much does the coaching influence his confidence?

(04-19-2024, 08:27 AM)NorseFeathers Wrote: Peyton Manning, a strong advocate that young QB's should play, on Bryce Young's brutal rookie year "So, I think he will benefit from that, learning the speed of the game. Look, Bryce played at the highest level of competition, playing in Alabama, but there's still an adjustment. I think he's—you can figure out what you can do and what you can't do, and he'll benefit from that and be better for it." 

I'm not so sure I agree with Manning's comments on young QB's playing early.  I think McCarver's theory captures and explains a lot. That what separated Manning from most rookie QB's is that deep down inside, where you can't measure or test, Manning was confident in what he could do. History would suggest that Manning was one of the exceptions. Young QB's are essentially having to learn a new game in front of a national audience all the while having to carry the weight of an entire franchise and fan base. Most rookies just aren't ready.

So my questions are, does unflappable inner confidence mean as much or more than arm talent and how much does the coaching influence his confidence?

I could go on for hours on this topic. My son is a pitcher for his high school. And he struggles with confidence. When he's got it, few can hit him; when he doesn't, he can be pretty bad. Like McCarver says, the catch is that you need to have a little success in order to gain that confidence. And it's different every time out. 

I think this is true in all sports. Who had more swagger than Larry Bird? He would manufacture confidence or "swagger" by telling his opponents how badly he was going to beat them. And then go do it. But it's especially true for pitchers and QBs. Few threw more picks than Manning early on. Same with Favre. But they had the ability to forget the bad throws, regain confidence, and play lights out. 

So to answer your question, yes, I think inner confidence means as much or more than arm talent. It's just super hard to know when a guy has it and when he doesn't. I think of two Viking QBs: Ponder and Cousins. Ponder had zero. He would feel pressure that wasn't there and just fall apart. But you can almost see a quiet fire burning inside the Kohl's wearing, Bible-study Cousins that is fueled by all the doubters. His "you like that" as a statement and not a question was him generating swagger, ala Bird. Can you imagine Ponder doing that?

You see this all the time in the NFL.  Back-up QB comes in and you immediately know the play calling is for some easy throws to build confidence.  One reason Donatell's defense was so bad is because he ceded so many throws allowing QBs to build confidence.

You see it the NBA also -- when someone is missing shots but then goes to the line the commentators always talk about how that can reset the player's confidence.

Good coaches know how to balance the need for a rookie to feel the speed of the game while not losing confidence.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VikingOracle's post:

Setting people up for success works in all careers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StickierBuns's post: