Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giants GM on taking a QB
Smokescreen or Fact? Why would he play his cards now? Is it to keep teams like the Vikings from trading in front of them to draft the QB they hope will fall to #6? They do have a ton of needs and not getting an immediate impact player with their 1st pick could cost he and Dabol their jobs if they have another disappointing year. Alt or Nabors would make a lot of sense if they stick and pick. 

"We have multiple needs," Schoen said, via Sports Illustrated. "We are going into Year 3. People assume we're going quarterback, but we have other needs. If the quarterbacks go 1-4, then we're getting the second-best position player, not quarterback, at six, which is OK, too.

He's right. I think the only spot to possibly move up is #4 and that is just remote IMO: Arizona would love to take the #1 WRer. #5 is the spot that is the most realistic, by far.....but if they get goofy in their demands to trade down, I think teams will pass. There's just not enough equity in the #4 QB to go nuts in a trade up. I can't see it happening.

QB is an awkward fit for NYG. The ink is not yet dry on Jones contract. They just signed Drew Lock to a pretty high paying backup gig. Could they take a QB? Yes, but I think they have to sit with what they have at QB for at least another year. They're also in position to get the best defensive player in the draft, the 2nd best WR or the best OT.

I agree with Maroon here, taking a quarterback would just seem like a very odd choice for them after extending Dimes and having major needs at other positions. I think taking a quarterback who sits probably gets them fired, as to where taking a player to help Jones who they know they can win with, seems like the far better option. If I'm the Vikings though. I'm not taking the bait and if they want to slit their own throats taking a quarterback and eating the dead money on Jones's contract...let them..
[-] The following 1 user Likes supafreak84's post:

(04-11-2024, 11:28 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: I agree with Maroon here, taking a quarterback would just seem like a very odd choice for them after extending Dimes and having major needs at other positions. I think taking a quarterback who sits probably gets them fired, as to where taking a player to help Jones who they know they can win with, seems like the far better option. If I'm the Vikings though. I'm not taking the bait and if they want to slit their own throats taking a quarterback and eating the dead money on Jones's contract...let them..

does a team on the outside looking in bail out the Giants?  Say you are the raiders,  you miss out on the top 6,  do you offer a conditional 2025 pick to the Giants for Jones,  thinking he could at least mentor Rattler who you end up taking day 2 this year?  Also acknowledging that Jones is rumored to not likely be ready at the start of the season anyway?

They're only really have one more year of Dimes before they have an out, so it's not like they're out of the QB race.

(04-11-2024, 11:32 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: does a team on the outside looking in bail out the Giants?  Say you are the raiders,  you miss out on the top 6,  do you offer a conditional 2025 pick to the Giants for Jones,  thinking he could at least mentor Rattler who you end up taking day 2 this year?  Also acknowledging that Jones is rumored to not likely be ready at the start of the season anyway?

I don't think any team would be willing to take on Jones's contract after last season. He is going to be the Giants problem. Is he the guy who led them to the playoffs in 2022 or is he the guy that looked like Spurgeon Wynn in 2023? I just don't see the Giants willing to hit that reset button by drafting a quarterback when they could add one of the premier receivers or tackles in this draft that would pay immediate dividends and help Jones. But again, if you are the Vikings, I wouldn't feel like I needed to move ahead of the Giants because I feared them drafting a quarterback. Just reading the tea leaves here, but I'd be surprised at this point if the draft didn't go like this;

1. Bears- Caleb Williams
2. Commies- Jayden Daniel's
3. Patriots- Drake Maye
4. Cardinals- Marvin Harrison Jr
5. Chargers- Joe Alt or Nabers
6. Giants- Nabers or Odunze

The Titans at #7 is the first realistic trade partner I'm calling if the Vikings wanted McCarthy.

(04-11-2024, 11:50 AM)supafreak84 Wrote: I don't think any team would be willing to take on Jones's contract after last season. He is going to be the Giants problem. Is he the guy who led them to the playoffs in 2022 or is he the guy that looked like Spurgeon Wynn in 2023? I just don't see the Giants willing to hit that reset button by drafting a quarterback when they could add one of the premier receivers or tackles in this draft that would pay immediate dividends and help Jones. But again, if you are the Vikings, I wouldn't feel like I needed to move ahead of the Giants because I feared them drafting a quarterback. Just reading the tea leaves here, but I'd be surprised at this point if the draft didn't go like this;

1. Bears- Caleb Williams
2. Commies- Jayden Daniel's
3. Patriots- Drake Maye
4. Cardinals- Marvin Harrison Jr
5. Chargers- Joe Alt or Nabers
6. Giants- Nabers or Odunze

The Titans at #7 is the first realistic trade partner I'm calling if the Vikings wanted McCarthy.

I think the Cardinals is a realistic trade back since WRs run deep and they're still going to get a very good one at 11. However, I'd agree that MHJ would be very hard for them to pass on. It's realistic but would require a lot for them to move off MHJ. Likely more than the Vikings are willing to spend, especially considering they may not need to move that high for QB4.

Chargers at 5 is also realistic. I don't think Harbaugh takes a WR after they took one in the 1st last year, plus the fact that he very much wants to run the ball and protect Herbert--he's basically said that is their highest priority. And there are THREE tackles in DJ's top 11. But again, do the Vikings even need to get there? Probably not...unless they're worried about the Giants. 

After the Giants, you have a run of teams who won't take a QB. Titans, Falcons, Bears and Jets. But now we're in slots much more within range of the Broncos and Raiders. That's the worry that might prompt the trade up to 5. Actually, I think that is where we'll see the Vikings take their guy.

(04-11-2024, 12:26 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: I think the Cardinals is a realistic trade back since WRs run deep and they're still going to get a very good one at 11. However, I'd agree that MHJ would be very hard for them to pass on. It's realistic but would require a lot for them to move off MHJ. Likely more than the Vikings are willing to spend, especially considering they may not need to move that high for QB4.

Chargers at 5 is also realistic. I don't think Harbaugh takes a WR after they took one in the 1st last year, plus the fact that he very much wants to run the ball and protect Herbert--he's basically said that is their highest priority. And there are THREE tackles in DJ's top 11. But again, do the Vikings even need to get there? Probably not...unless they're worried about the Giants. 

After the Giants, you have a run of teams who won't take a QB. Titans, Falcons, Bears and Jets. But now we're in slots much more within range of the Broncos and Raiders. That's the worry that might prompt the trade up to 5. Actually, I think that is where we'll see the Vikings take their guy.

As far as the Chargers go at #5, I think it plays into our favor that they'd be very reluctant to help out division rivals in Oakland and Denver. They literally have nothing at receiver outside of Johnson (who was a bust as a rookie) and Josh Palmer. They have to get more explosive at receiver and as mentioned, they could just take the top rated tackle in the draft in Alt. If you are the Vikings, you let the Chargers make that pick.

(04-11-2024, 11:32 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: does a team on the outside looking in bail out the Giants?  Say you are the raiders,  you miss out on the top 6,  do you offer a conditional 2025 pick to the Giants for Jones,  thinking he could at least mentor Rattler who you end up taking day 2 this year?  Also acknowledging that Jones is rumored to not likely be ready at the start of the season anyway?

I don’t think anyone is taking Jones from the Giants given his injury rehab timeline.  I think the realistic threat is that the Giants would take a QB this year and then cut/trade Jones next offseason if it makes sense.