Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bo Nix added to Vikings QB Private List
Bo Nix added to Minnesota Vikings list of 3-Day QB workouts
You’ve heard all the reports about their various visits or attempted meetings with prospects such as Jayden DanielsDrake MayeJ.J. McCarthy, and Michael Penix Jr. Now, according to Breer, we can add Bo Nix to that list.
Oh, and there have been questions about how long the Minnesota Vikings have spent with these quarterbacks, during these private workouts. Breer answered that too. Three days, which is a lot of time to get to know someone.
“Rather than go to the cattle calls that pro days often become, Minnesota dispatched quarterbacks coaches Josh McCown and Grant Udinski to [pro days], and then rolled out a larger group for a three-day whirlwind tour to work out quarterbacks privately. The itinerary included stops in Chapel Hill to meet Drake Maye, Ann Arbor to get with J.J. McCarthy, Seattle to put Penix through the paces and Eugene to see Bo Nix.”
Albert Breer (Sports Illustrated)

3 days is a LONG time in this scenario. I figured they'd do this with all the top prospects. You have to do that due diligence. Nix is a quality candidate, zero doubt about it.
His arm turned out to be better than advertised 2 months ago. Stay tuned.

Penix is going to be the darkhorse.

Typically I'm very opinionated on these guys, but not this year. I see strengths and weaknesses in all of the top 6 and any one of them could be the best QB from this class. And any one of them could be a flat bust. 

I'm just happy the Vikings have done their homework. I feel somewhat confidant that KOC knows what he's looking for to run his offense. And I feel somewhat confidant that the Vikings FO is going to be smart enough to let him have the loudest voice in the room when it comes to that decision.

(04-09-2024, 06:43 AM)MaroonBells Wrote: Typically I'm very opinionated on these guys, but not this year. I see strengths and weaknesses in all of the top 6 and any one of them could be the best QB from this class. And any one of them could be a flat bust. 

I'm just happy the Vikings have done their homework. I feel somewhat confidant that KOC knows what he's looking for to run his offense. And I feel somewhat confidant that the Vikings FO is going to be smart enough to let him have the loudest voice in the room when it comes to that decision.

I will be surprised if the Vikings are willing to pay the price the Pats seem to want for #3. 

I don't think Maye falls past #3 either. His issues are correctable with the right coaching and development plan. 

Way too much talent to pass up if I'm the Patriots. 

If JJM gets to #5, then I can see the Trade up with the Chargers happening otherwise I'm feeling that the Stick and Pick strategy could be the direction they take. The question is how much validity is there with KOC's posturing that the #11 and #23 is more than enough draft capital to trade up? I do believe that the Vikings have zero intention of giving up the 2025 1st in a deal.

Comment from Dan Orlovsky (he of the famed "run out of the back of the end zone for a Safety")

"With the NFL Draft just around he corner, most scouts, fans and pundits continue to talk about the same players.
Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Drake Maye and more recently Michael Penix Jr and JJ McCarthy, have gotten all the headlines.

That has left Bo Nix pretty much behind the rest of the pack, but that doesn't mean he might not be a first-round -caliber talent.
That's how former NFL QB Dan Orlovsky seems to feel about him now.

Orlovsky took to Twitter to show his favorite Bo Nix play from college, praising him fo rthe ownership he's developed and his ability to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

"BO NIX ISN'T HTE SAME KID WHO WOULD RUN AROUND AT AUBURN FRANTICALLY
CERTAINLY A DIFFERENT QB
SOME OF HIS TAPE DOESN'T TRANSLATE TO THE NFL BC IT'S SO RPO HEAVY/BALL AT LOS HEAVY BUT PLENTY OF HIS TAPE AND GAME DOES"

Nix might not have the high ceiling oher prospects have, and teams might be wary of getting him because of how much time he spent in college.
Then again, that also allowed him to get better every single year, and there's no reason to believe that trend couldn't keep up in the pros.

“Might not have the high ceiling” is one of my favorite non-sensical draft speak claims we hear every year. Did Kiper come up with that garbage? ?

I remember when Drew Brees had a super low ceiling but above average floor. It’s just a dumb belief if the arm talent is there.

Nix, if he can develop like he did in college, has a “ceiling” akin to the aforementioned Brees or Aaron Rodgers. He has the level of arm talent etc. Where he goes will probably matter most, just like it did in college.

All 6 of the top guys have “high ceilings” as they all have good to excellent arm talent. None of these guys have glaring issues that typically don’t get better.

I doubt Nix would get past Payton @ #12...

Bo Nix is not Drew Brees. That comp makes no sense to me. Brees was a prolific, record setting pro passer in college, but he did run a spread offense so yeah a similarity. Bo Nix floundered around until he got to Oregon's nitchy offense and threw a ton of short passes that players got tons of yardage with. I'm not saying Nix can't or won't be good in the NFL. What I'm saying is he's no Drew Brees.....and I say that liking Nix.

Despite prolific numbers at Purdue, Drew Brees dropped to the last pick of the 2nd round due to questions about his height & arm strength. He played in Joe Tiller’s “basketball on grass” spread offense, perhaps that’s the source of the comparison…

(04-10-2024, 02:31 PM)Kentis Wrote: Despite prolific numbers at Purdue, Drew Brees dropped to the last pick of the 2nd round due to questions about his height & arm strength. Perhaps that’s the source of the comparison…

But Brees was drafted 23 years ago. I think that thinking has changed to some extent, but not completely. Nix for sure has a stronger arm than Brees.....and Brees is 2 inches shorter than Nix. I do think that the lazy sports media makes that comparison because of what you mention, but the key term is 'lazy'.  Tongue And yes, Brees ran a spread offense for sure at Purdue. Definitely made to decimate and ring up yardage of the back half of the Big Ten.