Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Guru Mock #1
TRADE: MN sends 1(11), 1(23), 4(129) and a 2025 3rd to LAC for 1(5) & 3(69) 

1(5) via LAC: JJ McCarthy QB Michigan - To kick-off draft day the Vikings will undoubtedly attempt to find a willing trade partner to move up for a QB. In this mock they find a palatable deal with the Chargers preserving their 2025 1st but move a future 3rd to bring back a day 2 pick in 2024. Although JJ McCarthy didn't handily carry Michigan to a championship, he executed at an extremely high level when it was needed most. He has a strong arm and athleticism to extend the play and was asked to operate a pro-style offense, more-so than other QB prospects. It bodes well for his transition to the NFL. Although I doubt he will be the Vikings #1 QB target and they wouldn't sell the farm to acquire him, he should flourish in KOCs offense with the weapons handed to him. 

3(69) via LAC: Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson - Currently the Vikings lack a day-2 selection, but change that adding a high 3rd round selection from the Chargers allowing them to tap into a deeper D-line class in 2024. Although the Vikings have been tied to the higher-end DT & Edge prospects, they add a moveable piece along the defensive front in Orhorhoro. At Clemson he seemingly 1/2 a step short of a sack nearly every play, some technical improvement could get him there. But the day 1 value he brings to the table is his flexibility being able to line up in nearly any alignment in Flores' defense. Overall a good young piece that should continue to ascend into a weekly starter, if not more. 

4(108):  Renardo Green CB Florida - The Vikings signed Shaq Griffin since they have very few pure man-to-man cover corners. Prior to MN Flores relied heavily on man-coverage and likely will regress back to his roots. So corner is still a rather significant need. In another draft/mock I could see them going DB in round 1. Here they target Green who may lack CB1 upside but held his own against many high-end WR1s the past two years. FSU was more than willing to let him shadow a teams best WR and he was always up to the task. 

5(157): Tyrone Tracey RB Purdue -  Aaron Jones & Ty Chandler should prove to be a strong duo in the backfield. But adding depth is still needed. Tyrone Tracy is a WR turned RB. He posses explosive traits and could easily find his way on the field in year-1 as a pass catching threat, or moonlight as a slot receiver in some packages. While he isn't the most natural runner or pass blocker being so green to the position, the explosive athleticim is hard to ignore. 

5(167): Hunter Nourzad C Penn State - Garrett Bradbury will return as the starting center in 2024, but there are no guarantees he holds down the position long-term. They also lack depth so adding a rookie center or guard is sorely needed. Nourzad is a no thrills prospect, but he has few flaws. His level of consistency is impressive week to week and he possess the athleticism paired with power for multiple blocking schemes. 

6(177): Jalen Green EDGE James Madison - One of my sleeper prospects, Green lacks power 5 pedigree and ideal measurable's off the EDGE but he's highly explosive and productive on tape. He packs the stat sheet and regularly converts his pressures into sacks. Flores has had success in NE and MIA with similar arch-types scheming pressure and negating players need to win 1x1 where their size/length is a deterent. 

7(230): Will Reichard K Alabama - How much faith do the Vikings have in recently signed XFL kicker John Parker Romo? My guess, not enough that they won't work to bring in competition. While the Vikings have been burned drafting kickers in the past, using a 7th round pick on the position isn't the end of the world. Reichard lacks the biggest leg (can hit 50+) but has proven accurate in clutch moments for Alabama over the years. He likely can make the 53 man roster. 

7(232): Brevyn Spann-Ford TE Minnesota - TJ Hockenson is making significant progress in his recovery, but may start the season on the PUP list. The Vikings have depth at the position but regularly are developing a prospect on the practice squad. Brevyn Spann-Ford is a shot on potential development late in the draft.        
[-] The following 1 user Likes NFL Draft Guru's post:

Thanks Geoff!!!

Not to derail this thread. What’s your thoughts on a Jefferson deal? PA certainly made it sound like it might not get done and maybe Jefferson doesn’t want to be here. Is that a feeling you’re getting or did I just hear more then what was actually said on the show today?

(04-08-2024, 07:43 PM)AGRforever Wrote: Thanks Geoff!!!

Not to derail this thread. What’s your thoughts on a Jefferson deal?  PA certainly made it sound like it might not get done and maybe Jefferson doesn’t want to be here. Is that a feeling you’re getting or did I just hear more then what was actually said on the show today?

I personally am not too concerned with it, the Vikings without Kirk's cap number long-term have all the flexibility to get something done and should. But its more of a training camp negotiation. Feels more like a talking point but I wouldn't even venture closely to calling it likely from what I've heard. They want to keep him in MN.

Thanks Geoff, always look forward to your draft analysis and mocks.

I think, despite the smoke, that JJM will be there at #5 as you predict. He's just got some questions being somewhat raw and there's zero way he's going #2 or #3. JMO.

I haven't had time to study players like I usually do, but I like that you weaseled a 3rd out of the trade up for JJM. I'd be pretty pleased if we could get McCarthy without giving up the '25 1st. I think he needs to sit a year. And typically QBs who aren't capable of starting right away don't go at the top of the draft. You could say the same for Maye. It will be interesting if we see those two fall into the 5-10 range. 

Orhorhoro is interesting. Any time I see basketball in a player's bio, my ears perk up. Getting some 1st round buzz. 

Not familiar with Tracy, but there is a late round back I really like named Isaac Guerendo. He made a lot of noise at the Shrine and I've been following him ever since. He then goes to the combine and at 6-0, 221, runs a 4.33, with some incredible jump numbers to go with it. 

I agree that a developmental center in the 4th or 5th makes the most sense for the Vikings. Nourzad was a Cornell transfer and we had some luck with the last center we got from the Ivy League. 

I agree that the Vikings will draft a kicker late. I think we have to.

Thanks for Rd 1 Geoff...

So reading in between the lines, it sounds like JJM may not be their first choice, but rather one you predict is available at 5 and that Harbaugh may be willing to play ball with the Vikings. 

I suspect Maye is their #1 but long gone in your scenario. 

Love to see us get a C, IDL and damn I forgot we REALLY need a K too.

4(108): Renardo Green CB Florida - The Vikings signed Shaq Griffin since they have very few pure man-to-man cover corners. Prior to MN Flores relied heavily on man-coverage and likely will regress back to his roots. So corner is still a rather significant need. In another draft/mock I could see them going DB in round 1. Here they target Green who may lack CB1 upside but held his own against many high-end WR1s the past two years. FSU was more than willing to let him shadow a teams best WR and he was always up to the task.

Renardo Green getting some buzz....
https://x.com/EricGalko/status/1777685640953450611

As much as I like McCarthy, I'm really starting to lean towards sitting tight at #11 or moving up slightly for Penix and using #23 to address one of our many other needs. We need impact from this draft. We've essentially gotten contributions from two guys out of the last two drafts (and one was undrafted) and if we make a move up for a quarterback and he doesn't play much year one (which is possible) than I don't know how we can expect to be competitive within the division having a 3rd draft in a row with minimal impact from the draft class.

Geoff, do you see a substantial difference between say McCarthy and Penix or Bo Nix? I guess I don't at this point where I'd give up a haul to move up for McCarthy. To me, getting Penix and adding a guy like Latu (who we are hosting on a top 30 today), Powers-Johnson, or another highly regarded prospect at a position of need, moves the needle for me a lot more than making the move up for McCarthy. The Vikings would have to consider him a significantly better prospect to make that kind of move

(04-08-2024, 07:25 PM)NFL Draft Guru Wrote: TRADE: MN sends 1(11), 1(23), 4(129) and a 2025 3rd to LAC for 1(5) & 3(69) 

1(5) via LAC: JJ McCarthy QB Michigan - To kick-off draft day the Vikings will undoubtedly attempt to find a willing trade partner to move up for a QB. In this mock they find a palatable deal with the Chargers preserving their 2025 1st but move a future 3rd to bring back a day 2 pick in 2024. Although JJ McCarthy didn't handily carry Michigan to a championship, he executed at an extremely high level when it was needed most. He has a strong arm and athleticism to extend the play and was asked to operate a pro-style offense, more-so than other QB prospects. It bodes well for his transition to the NFL. Although I doubt he will be the Vikings #1 QB target and they wouldn't sell the farm to acquire him, he should flourish in KOCs offense with the weapons handed to him. 

3(69) via LAC: Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson - Currently the Vikings lack a day-2 selection, but change that adding a high 3rd round selection from the Chargers allowing them to tap into a deeper D-line class in 2024. Although the Vikings have been tied to the higher-end DT & Edge prospects, they add a moveable piece along the defensive front in Orhorhoro. At Clemson he seemingly 1/2 a step short of a sack nearly every play, some technical improvement could get him there. But the day 1 value he brings to the table is his flexibility being able to line up in nearly any alignment in Flores' defense. Overall a good young piece that should continue to ascend into a weekly starter, if not more. 

4(108):  Renardo Green CB Florida - The Vikings signed Shaq Griffin since they have very few pure man-to-man cover corners. Prior to MN Flores relied heavily on man-coverage and likely will regress back to his roots. So corner is still a rather significant need. In another draft/mock I could see them going DB in round 1. Here they target Green who may lack CB1 upside but held his own against many high-end WR1s the past two years. FSU was more than willing to let him shadow a teams best WR and he was always up to the task. 

5(157): Tyrone Tracey RB Purdue -  Aaron Jones & Ty Chandler should prove to be a strong duo in the backfield. But adding depth is still needed. Tyrone Tracy is a WR turned RB. He posses explosive traits and could easily find his way on the field in year-1 as a pass catching threat, or moonlight as a slot receiver in some packages. While he isn't the most natural runner or pass blocker being so green to the position, the explosive athleticim is hard to ignore. 

I liked your draft up until the last one. I've just never seen Tracy do much, even with a lot of athleticism.  I particularly don't see him doing anything more than catching a few balls out of the backfield.  A guy you draft in Rd.5 at RB nowadays should be more than a gimmick, and we'd simply have another not as explosive Kene on our hands who may be able to catch a few gimmick balls a year that our FB can easily handle.