Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
WHY DOES THE FORUM LOOK LIKE THIS?!?!??!?!
Ok.

So I woke up this morning with all the force of an unearned hangover all for simply having just two beverages with dinner last night. Totally not fair right? And why do you need to know this? Because I am hoping to gain at least a little sympathy from you as you read my explanation of why the forum looks like this. 

After acknowledging that my head hurt, my tongue felt like a piece of beef jerky, and that the light coming in from my window was impossibly too bright to be real, I checked my text messages and saw an ominous text from Jimmy: "Is the site working for you?" Inside I pleaded please let this not be the day.

It's the day.

I logged onto the server to find that most of the files and directories for the forum we gon. Like completely gone. "Fuck. We were hacked".

Yes. Ok so I went through the process of initiating a restore of a backup which sounds great right? Restore, patch some security holes and all should be good. Nope. The problem is (as I've mentioned in a few recent posts) the forum software that we were on is WAY past it's expiration date. AND I needed to upgrade PHP (programming language) on the server to a version from sometime this decade to also close some security holes. Problem: The forum software can't run on the most recent version of PHP. And to update the forum software was a nightmare because it was many versions old. 

So that's the problem. The forum softwae we were using was too old to be corrected and where we were sitting with it running under an old PHP version meant that as soon as the restore was finished it was vulnerable to be hacked again..... And it was, Fuck. Tylenol, water, shades drawn. 

So I had been looking for forum software that could import users, threads, posts, and other items from our old forum software and I found MyBB. I've used MyBB in the pas ton some other projects. It's pretty ok and it offered me a solution that I could get up and running in a day. So that's where we are.

My headache is starting to subside. The forum kinda looks like shit at the moment (I will be working my ass off to get that fixed) and I know we have a draft coming up so having a place to argue, talk, shit, cheer, jeer, and generally mull over the sleections to the point of death is an important thing for this group. Right?

I know this isn't the best thing to have happened and things are going to be wonky for now until we can all figure out how this forum software works and how to add in plugins that allow us to have the home we want. But I promise I am here to help. 

However after a day of nursing a real banger and trying to get a usable forum up and running I am pretty well spent. I will likely be online all night and trying to do a little here and there so please give me just a little time to try and get done what I can.

Thanks guys!

Oh PS this is Mike by the way..., I don't even know how to log on as someone that you guys know.

Unearned? WTF were in those 2 drinks? Are you sure your wife didn't ruffie you?

(04-06-2024, 07:03 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: Unearned?  WTF were in those 2 drinks?  Are you sure your wife didn't ruffie you?

It is quite possible! I was probably being pretty obnoxious.
Is this thing on?

Well if she ravaged you when you got home,  it was her,  if not it was one of the other couple you were with... I'm hoping it was you wife

Is there a mobile version? I'm only getting desktop on my phone which is clunky at best.

(04-08-2024, 07:42 AM)comet52 Wrote: Is there a mobile version? I'm only getting desktop on my phone which is clunky at best.

Right, so I am looking into it. The question is do I want to try and manage two themes. or one theme that is responsive. In one of the posts I had mentioned that I would be trying out different themes and to expect the board to likely look funny while I was doing that. I just haven’t gotten that far yet.

(04-08-2024, 07:42 AM)comet52 Wrote: Is there a mobile version?  I'm only getting desktop on my phone which is clunky at best.

You can also go to your user cp and change the theme to Duende. That is the mobile friendly theme I am looking to customize with vikings colors.
Is this thing on?

(04-08-2024, 09:45 AM)Mike Olson Wrote: You can also go to your user cp and change the theme to Duende. That is the mobile friendly theme I am looking to customize with vikings colors.

for those of us that jump back and forth with what device you are posting from, 
will that recognize when you are on mobile device and only change the theme when you are using that device,  or will it change it on PCs as well?

(04-08-2024, 10:16 AM)JimmyinSD Wrote: for those of us that jump back and forth with what device you are posting from, 
will that recognize when you are on mobile device and only change the theme when you are using that device,  or will it change it on PCs as well?

So the idea is that it should be responsive whether or not you are on a mobile device. It should be responsive and be automatic.
Is this thing on?

Thumbs Up 
(04-08-2024, 09:45 AM)Mike Olson Wrote: You can also go to your user cp and change the theme to Duende. That is the mobile friendly theme I am looking to customize with vikings colors.

The Duende theme is a lot less cluttered & much easier on my old eyes SWA!