Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB ball velocity results from the combine
2 of the main 6 weren’t afraid to test ball velocity at the combine. Here are the results along with the freak of nature Milton:

Joe Milton - 62 mph.  This tied for fastest ever with Josh Allen

JJ McCarthy - 61 mph. JJ showed to have a huge arm, better than people probably realized. This is among the fastest ever recorded.

Bo Nix - 58 mph. Oddly, Nix didn’t take a drop or wind up. He just stood upright and armed it. Based on watching JJM and him     
                            throw together, he’s probably about 60 mph if he throws it with a wind up like the rest if them.

All three have very impressive ball velocities. There are a number of years where no player matched any of these. Average starters are probably around the 55 mph mark. Joe Milton’s was not a surprise. His arm strength has never been in question, just accuracy. JJM on the other hand, recorded a higher velocity than Pat Mahomes and Baker Mayfield’s 60 mph. The kid can seriously spin it and I have to wonder if he’ll get stronger yet. I had been curious about this as his tape isn’t as easy to decipher it. Nix matches the tape for the most part. He’s along the lines of a Cousins or Rodgers - excellent but not elite.

Ball velocity isn’t the be all end all, but there’s little doubt these guys can spin it with the top players in the league.

I think this is another example of just how much arm talent is in this group. It’s very impressive.

So is the velocity RPMs or speed of the throw?

Quote: t@"StickyBun" said:
So is the velocity RPMs or speed of the throw?
speed of throw on radar from behind. 

Nix is who I hope the Vikings draft.

The more ya look in to his resume the better he looks.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:

I am all over the place on these QB's.  A month ago I was all over Nix.   

Then we are told about the big 3 and JJ moving up into the Top 10 or higher.

I feel in love with Drake Maye because that was the rumor for us.  Then after further review I fell out of love.  

I look at stats, watch some analyst reviews, look at "highlight" throws etc. and I am back at square one - I have no f'in idea.  

I do think I like Nix over JJ.  Both are extremely accurate and place the ball perfectly on short and mid throws which leads to YAC.  Both have the It factor IMO.  NIx has thrown a ton more than JJ and both play within a system.  Nix makes very quick decisions.  We have more of a sample size on Nix then JJ so I lean Nix.  Oh, and Nix has more of an NFL body while JJ looks kinda skinny like Daniels.  

Did I mention I have no f'in idea.  

Uncle Rico- 63…  Wink :p  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

I feel in love with Drake Maye because that was the rumor for us.  Then after further review I fell out of love.  

I look at stats, watch some analyst reviews, look at "highlight" throws etc. and I am back at square one - I have no f'in idea.  

I do think I like Nix over JJ.  Both are extremely accurate and place the ball perfectly on short and mid throws which leads to YAC.  Both have the It factor IMO.  NIx has thrown a ton more than JJ and both play within a system.  Nix makes very quick decisions.  We have more of a sample size on Nix then JJ so I lean Nix.  Oh, and Nix has more of an NFL body while JJ looks kinda skinny like Daniels.  

Meh. Nobody knows. It's a crap shoot.

I live outside of Portland and really only watch Ducks, Beaver and Huskies  games. 

I've watched since 2000 when Joey Harrington played there.

Having watched Harrington, Mariota and Herbert I can say definitively Nix is in his own league. He's not in the same category as the others physically. Nix definitely has athletic ability in his own way. He can use his legs. 

The QB that I think he will become is a clone of Drew Brees or Cousins. only Nix is a bit better in  running ability and can use his legs when he needs to. I'm not saying he's Lamar Jackson, I'm saying he's not a statue like Brees and Cousins. 

The similarities are there, in their smarts,  fundamentals and mechanics.

Nix started  in 61 games and played in more college games than any  QB in NCAA history. When I watch him play I can see it.

Oregon's offense is predicated around many of the same things NFL offenses utilize. In that way I like his game and I think he'll do well in the NFL.  

It's very very difficult to be efficient at  any level in sports. Nix completing 77.4% of his passes last year , an NCAA record, showed what he is capable of. The ball always went where it was supposed to on time.  Where the defense was vulnerable.

When you watch tape you'll notice many of the breakdowns came from the receivers routes versus Nix mistakes.

FWIW his father is a High School FB coach and that gave him an advantage. 

He has a turd factor of zero.

It's a crap shoot, I get it. But I won't lose my shit if the Vikings take him as their QBOTF

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"Mattyman" said:

Meh. Nobody knows. It's a crap shoot.

I live outside of Portland and really only watch Ducks, Beaver and Huskies  games. 

I've watched since 2000 when Joey Harrington played there.

Having watched Harrington, Mariota and Herbert I can say definitively Nix is in his own league. He's not in the same category as the others physically. Nix definitely has athletic ability in his own way. He can use his legs. 

The QB that I think he will become is a clone of Drew Brees or Cousins. only Nix is a bit better in  running ability and can use his legs when he needs to. I'm not saying he's Lamar Jackson, I'm saying he's not a statue like Brees and Cousins. 

The similarities are there, in their smarts,  fundamentals and mechanics.

Nix started  in 61 games and played in more college games than any  QB in NCAA history. When I watch him play I can see it.

Oregon's offense is predicated around many of the same things NFL offenses utilize. In that way I like his game and I think he'll do well in the NFL.  

It's very very difficult to be efficient at  any level in sports. Nix completing 77.4% of his passes last year , an NCAA record, showed what he is capable of. The ball always went where it was supposed to on time.  Where the defense was vulnerable.

When you watch tape you'll notice many of the breakdowns came from the receivers routes versus Nix mistakes.

FWIW his father is a High School FB coach and that gave him an advantage. 

He has a turd factor of zero.

It's a crap shoot, I get it. But I won't lose my shit if the Vikings take him as their QBOTF
I like Nix too.  Did not know about his velocity...that actually explains a lot to me about making some tough throws and getting the ball in a tight spot right now.  My guess is that Kwesi and KOC are just ignoring all the pundits who are "in the know" at this time of year.  

Let's be realistic...from the Super Bowl through the combine to the Draft...sportswriters projecting first round draft picks is a cottage industry for a group of thirsty fans looking for any football news...we are all suckers for that kind of clickbait, present company included.