Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now we wait.....
March Madness will help with the wait until the Draft, but we'll all be half expecting for breaking news at some point that Minnesota has moved up. Or not. Not sure there'd be a bigger letdown for the majority of Viking Nation if the Vikings just stayed where they are currently. Not everyone feels that way, but the vast majority have big expectations to get up in the top 4. 

Yeah, I was expecting another trade into the top 3 to happen shortly after the trade with Houston...  but it seems like we just found a beneficial deal to get another first round pick now rather than trying to go thru the pressure of making something happen closer to the draft.

It DOES give us an edge on the Broncos and Raiders because a first this year is worth more than next year.  Basically all we've done is solidify having the best trade up package if a team is willing to deal.  The more time that passes, the more it's looking like we'll execute a deal on draft day instead. 

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Yeah, I was expecting another trade into the top 3 to happen shortly after the trade with Houston...  but it seems like we just found a beneficial deal to get another first round pick now rather than trying to go thru the pressure of making something happen closer to the draft.

It DOES give us an edge on the Broncos and Raiders because a first this year is worth more than next year.  Basically all we've done is solidify having the best trade up package if a team is willing to deal.  The more time that passes, the more it's looking like we'll execute a deal on draft day instead. 
The 49ers traded up to 3 on March 26th, 2021. I could see similar timing.

But the Vikings may have to wait until draft day to see what Washington does. They still could take Maye over Daniels and how does that change what the Vikings plan to do? We assume they like Maye...and McCarthy almost as much. But are they really prepared to invest that much draft capital into a guy many still rank as a late 1st rounder? 

IOW, if Maye gets past Washington, the Vikings will pull the trigger on the Pats deal. If Washington takes Maye, the Vikings don't want to have already bought and paid for pick 3, awkwardly debating a QB who doesn't fit (Daniels) with a QB who has late-1st value. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

But the Vikings may have to wait until draft day to see what Washington does. They still could take Maye over Daniels and how does that change what the Vikings plan to do? We assume they like Maye...and McCarthy almost as much. But are they really prepared to invest that much draft capital into a guy many still rank as a late 1st rounder? 

IOW, if Maye gets past Washington, the Vikings will pull the trigger on the Pats deal. If Washington takes Maye, the Vikings don't want to have already bought and paid for pick 3, awkwardly debating a QB who doesn't fit (Daniels) with a QB who has late-1st value. 
Why wouldn't Daniels fit? I think you can make a pretty strong case for and against all of them. I have my preferences but at this point it's not based on fit.

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Wetlander" said:

Why wouldn't Daniels fit? I think you can make a pretty strong case for and against all of them. I have my preferences but at this point it's not based on fit.
Kwesi: "There's a vision for what this team can play like, it's not one-size fits all." 

To me that means there are QBs who fit what they do and QBs who don't necessarily. 

When asked if "It appears the Vikings prefer Drake Maye to Jayden Daniels. Is that the case?",

@Alec_Lewis responds, "It might appear this way externally, but I’m not sure I believe that... the Vikings were one of the teams that dove into, evaluated and expressed interest in Daniels the earliest. He’s wildly athletic, but the tape shows his accuracy, polish and ability to progress through reads on time... Emerge from the draft with either of these two, and the Vikings would assuredly be over the moon."

When asked if "It appears the Vikings prefer Drake Maye to Jayden Daniels. Is that the case?",

@Alec_Lewis responds, "It might appear this way externally, but I’m not sure I believe that... the Vikings were one of the teams that dove into, evaluated and expressed interest in Daniels the earliest. He’s wildly athletic, but the tape shows his accuracy, polish and ability to progress through reads on time... Emerge from the draft with either of these two, and the Vikings would assuredly be over the moon."
I think the Vikings would be more than happy with Daniels as well. 

The fits based on tea leaves would seem to be Daniels to Washington after the Kingsbury hire and his college type offense which utilizes quarterbacks legs as well as their arms. Maye is a better fit in New England or Minnesota. I think the way we play and the hiring of McCown is telling in favor of Maye. 

The biggest disappointment for me would be giving up a draft haul of any kind to move up to 4 or 5 for MCCarthy, who I really like, but is still universally ranked as a mid to later first round pick on most boards. I don't know. I just want the draft to get here already and for this to be done with. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

The fits based on tea leaves would seem to be Daniels to Washington after the Kingsbury hire and his college type offense which utilizes quarterbacks legs as well as their arms. Maye is a better fit in New England or Minnesota. I think the way we play and the hiring of McCown is telling in favor of Maye. 

The biggest disappointment for me would be giving up a draft haul of any kind to move up to 4 or 5 for MCCarthy, who I really like, but is still universally ranked as a mid to later first round pick on most boards. I don't know. I just want the draft to get here already and for this to be done with. 

Same here. I've got speculation fatigue. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:

Same here. I've got speculation fatigue. 
Get used to it. It's looking more and more like this will be a trade on the clock.