Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love Kwesi's Preemptive Strike!
Grading the Vikings trade for 23rd overall: Did they get good value?
Tyler FornessFri, Mar 15, 2024, 3:05 PM EDT·1 min read
[Image: 58ff62d5703a70e720c7f08d4e4244de]
The Minnesota Vikings made a shocking trade on Friday morning with the Houston Texans by acquiring the 23rd overall pick. The made the move likely in an effort to get a quarterback in the 2024 NFL draft.
A move was expected but not to happen in March to get a second first-round pick. The trade is an interesting one when you look at the Rich Hill trade chart, which is based on historical trades.
The Vikings get:
  • 23rd (245),
  • 232nd (2)
  • Total: 247 points to the Vikings
The Texans get:
  • 42nd (142)
  • 188th (6)
  • 2025 second (56)
  • Total: 204 to the Texans
The Vikings gained 43 points in the trade, which amounts to the 92nd overall pick in the NFL draft. Considering the Vikings are the ones moving up, that’s one heck of a haul.
Now, it’s going to be difficult still to get a trade done. However, they have the ammunition to make it happen. Even if they can’t get one of the top four quarterbacks, they can still get a talented player and Michael Penix Jr. at 23.
Grade: A+

My Take:
The above is just one guys' take amongst many but talking for myself I love this deal especially because we did it not under duress which is draft day!  The price would probably be much higher if done while the draft is happening IMO.  
I am convinced the Plan is focused on one QB, of which, I don't know whom.  It maybe just trying to get into position/range to deal with pick 2 or 3 if (Big IF) Wash or Pats want to play!  We definitely have the ammo to get to 4 - Cards.   But if our target guy goes at 2 or 3 then we stay put and have picks 11 and 23 in the first round to fill 2 huge needs.  
This is the best move by Kwesi to date IMO.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve already secured a trade up to 4 or 5. I don’t know when it will be announced, but i highly doubt they did this move without something in place. Kwesi doesn’t strike me as the fly by the seat of his pants kind of guy. He’s very deliberate. 

Congrats to Kwesi!  I don't recall any Viking GM making such a bold move for draft day round 1.  It's a smart, big time trade up.

Kudos for getting after it

question - cant a team trade for a player already drafted?
didnt that happen to Eli?

So say our target is Maye, but hes been selected, and we have moved to five.  
cant we then put together a “package” that swings him to us? (provided a team is willing)

Im not really keen on “selling the future” on ANY of these guys that havent taken a snap in the NFL, but I understand youve gotta try to land your guy....and hope that your scouting department knows what theyre doing

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:

cant we then put together a “package” that swings him to us? (provided a team is willing)

Im not really keen on “selling the future” on ANY of these guys that havent taken a snap in the NFL, but I understand youve gotta try to land your guy....and hope that your scouting department knows what theyre doing
  1.  No. 1: San Diego → New York Giants. San Diego traded Manning to the New York Giants in exchange for Philip Rivers and the Giants' third round selection in this draft (#65) and their first- and fifth-round selections in 2005[5]
Yes, the Chargers drafted Eli and then traded him to the Giants at 4 who then selected Rivers.  

Quote: @"Vanguard83" said:

Eli said that he would not play for the chargers and they believed him so they had to trade him. But if a team picks a player and then they are high-fiving and celebrating then it would be kind of silly to trade him. It really would make the management look like idiots.

Preemptive strike is a good way to put it. It would now take an almost impossible haul of future picks for other QB-needy teams to trump the Vikings' two current 1st rounders (a future 1st is equivalent to a current 2nd). Even if they don't, or can't, trade up, worst-case is still two 1st rounders, which should allow them to draft one of the top 6 QBs and a franchise defensive lineman. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
Preemptive strike is a good way to put it. It would now take an almost impossible haul of future picks for other QB-needy teams to trump the Vikings' two current 1st rounders (a future 1st is equivalent to a current 2nd). Even if they don't, or can't, trade up, worst-case is still two 1st rounders, which should allow them to draft one of the top 6 QBs and a franchise defensive lineman. 
Agreed, something good is going to come out of this for the franchise regardless. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Agreed, something good is going to come out of this for the franchise regardless. 
You mean like 2005 when they turned #7 and #19 into Troy Williamson and Erasmus James?  :p

Sorry... I was actually at that draft and I think I still have PTSD from watching Rodgers fall to the Packers  :#