Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mundt re-signs
https://www.vikings.com/news/johnny-mund...terms-2024

Happy to have him back. He is an excellent blocker and better receiving option than Oliver, which is really the need with Hockenson likely starting the year on IR

Me 2...I like Mundt on the team. 

They can kick Oliver to the curb and on to the heap of bad KAM decisions. 

Good signing and I agree that Oliver can go

[Image: giphy.gif]

FINALLY! Mundt was the big piece that had to fall before we start cleaning up the nickel and dime deals like Cousins, JJ and Hunter. 

Part of the dead money KAM moved to this year from Cousins contract was for guys like Oliver - even though we had some great young TE’s already on the roster.

They are paying Oliver like $6.2 million this year and essentially can’t save anything by cutting him. His dead cap if they do is -$5.7 million. It’s just unreal to me that the team is in the position they are in. 

The issue isn't that they signed Oliver & arguably the issue isn't the value of the contract that they signed him to. Afterall, Oliver is one of the top blocking TEs in the league which is a valuable skill. The issue is that even when in the line up, the team neglected to utilize him as a blocker. They chose instead to run between the OTs.

I liked the signing & thought that it was legit. The team knew that they were moving on from Dalvin. They made Mattison RB1. Improving the run blocking was a sound strategy.

So, what happened? Even the most ardent Kwesi hater has to admit that he doesn't operate in a vacuum. Like every other GM he consults with his HC to identify the personnel that the HC wants & then tries to procure those players. There's no doubt in my mind that it was KOC who wanted Oliver. The puzzler is why he failed to use him as intended.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
The issue isn't that they signed Oliver & arguably the issue isn't the value of the contract that they signed him to. Afterall, Oliver is one of the top blocking TEs in the league which is a valuable skill. The issue is that even when in the line up, the team neglected to utilize him as a blocker. They chose instead to run between the OTs.

I liked the signing & thought that it was legit. The team knew that they were moving on from Dalvin. They made Mattison RB1. Improving the run blocking was a sound strategy.

So, what happened? Even the most ardent Kwesi hater has to admit that he doesn't operate in a vacuum. Like every other GM he consults with his HC to identify the personnel that the HC wants & then tries to procure those players. There's no doubt in my mind that it was KOC who wanted Oliver. The puzzler is why he failed to use him as intended.
I dont know if Oliver is still one of the best run blockers or not?  How he played here vs Baltimore? It sure didnt look like it. It would be fair to put some of that on Mattison too. 

To your point, I think they had every intent to get better at running. It made sense to pair Oliver with two pretty exemplary OT's.

Instead they abandoned the run or ran in ways that made even a novice fan like me shake their head. 

A big area of growth needed here for KOC. 

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:

I didn’t intend to bash Oliver on the post. He’s a good player. The issue I had was they already had Johnny Mundt on the team. Johnny was top 10 in the league in both pass and run blocking when he joined the team. He’s also a good blocker and likely why we just resigned him. 

My issue is how KAM values the assets he has at his disposal. Oliver was a luxury. In order to add a couple of guys that I don’t think were necessary at the time, KAM stuck the team with more than $28 million in dead cap this year. That’s just a stupid move in my opinion. We had guys on the roster that could have filled those couple of roles. We may end up from his move, losing over $35 million in potential spending this season in FA. 

I know there’s a learning curve for his position, but he has to do better. These moves are hurting the team now and going forward. 

With that said, there’s an insane amount of room going forward. They can definitely be big buyers in free agency if they want to be and defer large cap hits past this year. They could theoretically add a top tier corner on a long contract and a Defensive lineman or other position. 

I’m hard on him roght now because he has earned it, but it doesn’t mean he’s out of time. mY fear with that approach though is what the Redskins did in the past. Hopefully he’s smart about it.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:

I dont know if Oliver is still one of the best run blockers or not?  How he played here vs Baltimore? It sure didnt look like it. It would be fair to put some of that on Mattison too. 

To your point, I think they had every intent to get better at running. It made sense to pair Oliver with two pretty exemplary OT's.

Instead they abandoned the run or ran in ways that made even a novice fan like me shake their head. 

I would say that failure is more on KAM failing ti fix the IOL,  KOC's schemes and play calling,  it's not like our RBs we standing still with the ball or falling down in the backfield,   the run game starts with play calling which wasn't very good, then blocking, which wasn't very good,  and then finally the ball carrier,   which was rarely very good,  but I would put less of that on Oliver and Mattison than on the others I mentioned.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:

Oliver continued to grade very well as a run blocker in Minnesota. I think the biggest problem was Mattison honestly. Runs hard, but he just doesn't have great vision, and he has zero speed. And while I agree that KOC has to do a better job of sticking with it, by the time we figured out Chandler was the guy, Cousins was out and defenses could pretty much ignore the passing game.