Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salary Cap increases an unprecedented $30.6 million
This may change a few things.  Salary cap increases almost 12% over last year.  Quite a bit more than expected.
Now that teams know how much they can spend, let the negotiations begin.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/23/nfl-salary-cap-spike-30-million-per-team-record-breaking?utm_medium=push_notifications&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=4270553

it really doesnt mean much though,  players are going to eat that up and demand  more,  its not like the teams that were hurting for cap suddenly have more ability because all teams gained the same.

Wow, that's massive. About DOUBLE what they expected it to increase by. This is really going to change some outlooks. More teams are going to be able to do what they want to do. 

It doesn't benefit any one team more than another, but I think it does hurt those teams in the middle of contract negotiations with top of market players. JJ's contract, for example, will not only forge new ground, it will be new ground +12%. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
it really doesnt mean much though,  players are going to eat that up and demand  more,  its not like the teams that were hurting for cap suddenly have more ability because all teams gained the same.
While it might mean less relatively, I think it does mean
that maybe some players who might have become cap casualties now are looked at
as the team having room for keeping them.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
While it might mean less relatively, I think it does mean
that maybe some players who might have become cap casualties now are looked at
as the team having room for keeping them.

I think the increase in contract averages will still have the team making cap casualties out of some guys.

Every little bit helps. LFG

30 million is a lot. 

Too many teams with cap  space now,   UFA looks way different now.

Quote: @"Mattyman" said:
30 million is a lot. 

Will it though,  or will all contracts just go up so this 30 million just gets largely spread across all contracts signed this year.  If a guard was gonna cost 6 he now costs 8,  since all teams have deals to do of their own,( not counting the big dollar guys) I dont see the extra 30 mill having a huge impact in the end.  Sure there will be a few,  but just add 5 to 10% to every deal done and it will eat up that 30 in a hurry.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Mattyman" said:
30 million is a lot. 

Will it though,  or will all contracts just go up so this 30 million just gets largely spread across all contracts signed this year.  If a guard was gonna cost 6 he now costs 8,  since all teams have deals to do of their own,( not counting the big dollar guys) I dont see the extra 30 mill having a huge impact in the end.  Sure there will be a few,  but just add 5 to 10% to every deal done and it will eat up that 30 in a hurry.
For context, 30 million is about what Nick Bosa makes per year as highest paid non-qb.

Giving all 32 teams that much increased space is gonna   allow ALL of  them to make moves that a week ago they didn't have cap space to make.

No supply chain issues for the NFL Smile