Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garoppolo suspended for PED's, to be released in March???
Jimmy Garoppolo suspended 2 games by NFL; Raiders expected to release QB in March: SourcesThe Jimmy Garoppolo era with the Raiders unofficially ended on Friday, though in unexpected fashion as the quarterback was suspended two games for violating the NFL’s Performance Enhancing Substances Policy, league sources confirmed. The Raiders plan to cut Garoppolo in a month, a team source and league sources confirmed, after the NFL year starts to avoid paying him an $11.25 million roster bonus.
Garoppolo will not appeal the suspension and will miss the first two games of the 2024 season.
Garoppolo entered 2024 with a fully guaranteed $11.25 million salary, and an $11.25 million roster bonus due on March 17th. His suspension will void those guarantees.
Garoppolo had a very rocky year with the Raiders, starting with his contract press conference being delayed after he failed a physical and needed further foot surgery. The Raiders reworked the three-year, $73 million contract due to the surgery, but then reworked it again after he came back to restore the $33.75 million guaranteed.
Garoppolo, 32, did not play well and led the league in interceptions with nine when he was benched in Week 9. He had completed 110 of 168 passes for 1,205 yards passing with only seven touchdowns. General manager Dave Ziegler and coach Josh McDaniels, who had brought Garoppolo in due to their New England Patriotsties, were fired that week as well.
The release of Garoppolo will leave new Raiders general manager Tom Telesco and coach Antonio Pierce with two quarterbacks on the roster, Aidan O’Connell and Brian Hoyer. But Hoyer will also not be back and the Raiders are expected to be aggressive in their efforts to trade up from the No. 13 slot and draft a quarterback, or sign a veteran free agent.
https://theathletic.com/5281080/2024/02/16/jimmy-garoppolo-raiders-suspension-release/

Would it be to premature to say No at this point.

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
No.

heh...heh

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
No doubt. Mullens is way better. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"BigAl99" said:

Where this impacts the Vikings is that the Raiders are now even more clearly another team ahead of us that needs a QB.  I count 5: Bears, Wash, Pats, Raiders, Falcons.  Question is do the Raiders and Falcons try to trade into the top 3 for Daniels or trade up from the 2nd for JJ/Nix/Penix?

Quote: @"RS Express" said:
Where this impacts the Vikings is that the Raiders are now even more clearly another team ahead of us that needs a QB.  I count 5: Bears, Wash, Pats, Raiders, Falcons.  Question is do the Raiders and Falcons try to trade into the top 3 for Daniels or trade up from the 2nd for JJ/Nix/Penix?
Vegas drafts a couple spots after us but I agree they need QB as bad or worse than we do, and could try jumping us. 

What an up and down career Jimmy G has had. 

My hope is that they are fine with the O'Connell and will go another direction with their #1.

But hope aint a plan or a tactic that I hope KAM adopts. 

I think its likely the Vikings are looking @ just Pennix or Nix as the only available QB @ 11. 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
My hope is that they are fine with the O'Connell and will go another direction with their #1.

But hope aint a plan or a tactic that I hope KAM adopts. 

I think its likely the Vikings are looking @ just Pennix or Nix as the only available QB @ 11. 
I get sphincter tight when I think about all the teams jumping us for QBs,  but then in reality its not very often that we see 4 QBs go in the top 10,  even though its quite common to have many teams in the top 10 that really could use a QB upgrade.  the odds are the odds for a reason,  most likely only 1 of the top 4 has a career worth mentioning in 10 years,  and yes next years QB crop doesnt look as hot right now,  but unless they really are in love with a guy,  I would hate to see them make a move and then still end up with leftovers.  If there guy isnt there then get an impact player at a PON and look to make a move on one of the remaining ones in round 2 or even late round 1.  

I've been wondering what I am missing on all of these guys at 1 time or another,  I certainly dont see the lock on Williams that some people seem to think he is for that top spot.  I can see a fit for all of them,  or see a bust in all of them.  They really are just prospects and in no way a team torpedo if we dont get one or if we dont get the one we covet right now.  QBs are like jobs,  I was looking for one when I got the one I have now,  but sometimes you find a better one when you arent even looking.  I think the biggest failure of RS was not keeping that QB room rolling over with fresh talent,  ( and his constant trading back for more picks, to me that signaled a lack of conviction more than a confidence that he would find equal talent through more selections )  Unless my roster was SB ready,  I wouldnt worry much about a veteran backup QB,  I would much prefer to have somebody in that roll on a rookie deal that just might be a late bloomer, over a guy that has never shown the ability to do much more than wear a team hat.