Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When KC was signed in 2018...
The roster was stacked
One year removed from the NFCCG in 17
 #1 defense in the NFL
Ready to take that next step right?

Wrong...

So what did the drafts look from 2018 and forward?

2018:
 #1 pick - Hughes
 #2 Pick - O'Neill
 Rest of draft? Off the roster or out of the league

2019:
 #1 Pick - Bradbury
 #2 Pick - ISJ
 #3Pick - Mattison

2020:
 #1 pick - JJ
 Everyone else from that draft off the roster

2021:
Darrisaw
Bynum
Nwangwu

Compare this to the drafts of 2014-2017, a roster build that got them to the 2017 nfccg:

Barr
Bridgewater
McKinnon
Waynes
Kendricks
Hunter
Diggs
Dalvin Cook
Jayron Kearse

This exercise wasn't meant as any alibi for the 22/23 draft classes.

IT does illustrate how the drafting started to decline in 18 forward. 

That's kind of a misleading way to put it. The Vikings had one incredibly good draft in 2015. 2016 was one of our worst ever. The rest have been pretty par for the NFL. 

Sometimes its just better to be lucky than good. For example....
• In 2016, Chiefs tried to trade up to take Paxton Lynch. They were also in talks to trade up to take Laquon Treadwell. Neither worked out, so they gave up, traded down and took Chris Jones. Then with two 5th rounders, they rolled the dice on a QB (Kevin Hogan) and a WR (Tyreek Hill). Still needing a QB the next year, they took Patrick Mahomes. 
• The 49ers had the 2nd overall pick that same year. They traded down one spot to take megabust Solomon Thomas. They did not study Mahomes that year because, one, that was WAY too high to take him. And two, their plan was to sign Kirk Cousins during 2018 free agency and reunite him with Kyle Shanahan. Those plans were scuttled when the Patriots traded Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers in October 2017.  But the one QB the 49ers did trade up to get in the 2017 draft was C.J. Beathard, whom they selected in the 3rd round. Beathard eventually left San Francisco to sign with Jacksonville and, in return, the 49ers got a compensatory 2022 7th-round pick...that they used on…Brock Purdy.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
That's kind of a misleading way to put it. The Vikings had one incredibly good draft in 2015. 2016 was one of our worst ever. The rest have been pretty par for the NFL. 

• In 2016, Chiefs tried to trade up to take Paxton Lynch. They were also in talks to trade up to take Laquon Treadwell. Neither worked out, so they gave up, traded down and took Chris Jones. Then with two 5th rounders, they rolled the dice on a QB (Kevin Hogan) and a WR (Tyreek Hill). Still needing a QB the next year, they took Patrick Mahomes. 
• The 49ers had the 2nd overall pick that same year. They traded down one spot to take megabust Solomon Thomas. They did not study Mahomes that year because, one, that was WAY too high to take him. And two, their plan was to sign Kirk Cousins during 2018 free agency and reunite him with Kyle Shanahan. Those plans were scuttled when the Patriots traded Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers in October 2017.  But the one QB the 49ers did trade up to get in the 2017 draft was C.J. Beathard, whom they selected in the 3rd round. Beathard eventually left San Francisco to sign with Jacksonville and, in return, the 49ers got a compensatory 2022 7th-round pick...that they used on…Brock Purdy.
Every team has its up's/downs...

I just think the roster build was really good for a while and it led to 2017 and Minny Miracle team. 

AFter that? Maybe not so good. 

I think you can always point to any given pick or year and use it to justify whatever, but over time you return to the mean of what you are.  I think it's pretty undeniable that the Vikings just weren't drafting enough starters/contributors during the end of the Spielman/Zimmer era.  We nailed some picks but just aren't going to win in this league getting a 1 starter a draft.  The NFL is a league where success comes from the contributions you get from your low cost players.

Very nice / brief history lesson. well done.

Personally, I absolutely hated Spielman’s draft day plans. Constantly trading down for late picks was stupid. He just couldn’t help himself though. KAM started out the same way and I hope he gets his stuff together.

If your GM doesn’t have a guy at the original spot that he absolutely has to have, he’s a poor GM in my book. If they’ve done a good job of evaluating the talent, they make a pick and it’s a good one that has nothing to do with need - at least in rounds 1 or 2. 

If you do trade down, it had better be well worth it and not a far drop.

In 2022 I liked the following players at 12:

Trent McDuffy
Kyle Hamilton
Dvonte Wyatt
Jordan Davis
George Karlaftis

Any one of those guys at 12 and I would have been thrilled. Just like 90% of the posters here wanting any of those. Several were pretty much gauranteed not to bust and were super safe picks. We couldn’t keep it simple though could we? Nope, instead we do a moronic trade all the way to the bottom of the round with our freaking division rival. Every drop decreases your odds of finding a long term player, yet our GM’s keep doing it.

The Vikings are nit succeeding because they’ve made epically stupid draft decisions. I hold little hope the next one will be any different. 

I could do a better job drafting than KAM and I’m not the only one on this message board that applies to. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:

Trent McDuffy
Kyle Hamilton
Dvonte Wyatt
Jordan Davis
George Karlaftis

Any one of those guys at 12 and I would have been thrilled. Just like 90% of the posters here wanting any of those. Several were pretty much gauranteed not to bust and were super safe picks. We couldn’t keep it simple though could we? Nope, instead we do a moronic trade all the way to the bottom of the round with our freaking division rival. Every drop decreases your odds of finding a long term player, yet our GM’s keep doing it.

The Vikings are nit succeeding because they’ve made epically stupid draft decisions. I hold little hope the next one will be any different. 

I could do a better job drafting than KAM and I’m not the only one on this message board that applies to. 
Hamilton and McDuffy in particular
Jordan Davis, not as sure
Karlaftis turned into a better player than I thought he would. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Havoc1649 said:

Trent McDuffy
Kyle Hamilton
Dvonte Wyatt
Jordan Davis
George Karlaftis

Agree with this. Hamilton and McDuffie for sure. The others have certainly been better than Cine. Hell, who hasn't? But they haven't been the studs those first two have been. 

@purplefaithful said:
@Havoc1649 said:

Trent McDuffy
Kyle Hamilton
Dvonte Wyatt
Jordan Davis
George Karlaftis

Agree with this. Hamilton and McDuffie for sure. The others have certainly been better than Cine. Hell, who hasn't? But they haven't been the studs those first two have been. 

I believe both Hamilton & “Short Arms” were all pro this season…