Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent Content
Hi,
Question-- Why are the articles on the homepage older than Bud Grant? Are we looking for new content writers? I'm sure there are many on this board who can cobble some words together for an article, myself included. Or if we're mothballing that section can we just make the vikefans homepage the forum, since that's where everyone is going anyway?
Brett

Zero activity on this topic is all the proof anyone should need to show that our "homepage" is a joke and we should just send visitors to this dusty ol wordpress forum.

The forum/webpage is not the main vehicle for VikeFans. The powers that be made the decision to pivot to social media as the main platform a while ago now. 

Thats where the resources and up to date content go. 

They needed to make that shift - forums are ok for some, but not nearly as many as 10 years ago. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
 The forum/webpage is not the main vehicle for VikeFans. The powers that be made the decision to pivot to social media as the main platform a while ago now. 

They needed to make that shift - forums are ok for some, but not nearly as many as 10 years ago. 

Ok... then perhaps we should get off Wordpress 2008. I love this site and all of you and your takes and the Vikings. But just like with our football team, it's pretty obvious there are areas that could be improved.
If they made this huge pivot to social, where is that content? If the forum page is the heartbeat of the website, shouldn't the social content tie in or at least be present on these pages? I'm being critical only because I want to help, as evidenced by my volunteering in my original post. We have the posters to make this the premier Vikings fan hub on the internet, outside of maybe Reddit.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@purplefaithful said:

Ok... then perhaps we should get off Wordpress 2008. I love this site and all of you and your takes and the Vikings. But just like with our football team, it's pretty obvious there are areas that could be improved.
If they made this huge pivot to social, where is that content? If the forum page is the heartbeat of the website, shouldn't the social content tie in or at least be present on these pages? I'm being critical only because I want to help, as evidenced by my volunteering in my original post. We have the posters to make this the premier Vikings fan hub on the internet, outside of maybe Reddit.
I think thats a good discussion to have with Mike Olson and maybe the mods.

I know Mike does a lot behind the scenes to keep the forum up and running smoothly, address technical issues as they arise. 

You can certainly message him 1:1

one thing to keep in mind is these things dont run themselves for free.  If anybody wants to help there is a donation button at the top of the page that sends money to Mike to help cover the costs of the site.  This isnt a for profit for him,  and the mods receive nothing for their efforts either,  so rest assured any donation goes to keeping the page up and running.  

@purplefaithful said:

I know Mike has looked at other options in the past for hosting the site,  but for various reasons this is the one he has stuck with,  had to do with security for himself and us users,  as well as allowing some of the custom features that we have here that arent available with other formats.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
one thing to keep in mind is these things dont run themselves for free.  If anybody wants to help there is a donation button at the top of the page that sends money to Mike to help cover the costs of the site.  This isnt a for profit for him,  and the mods receive nothing for their efforts either,  so rest assured any donation goes to keeping the page up and running.  
I’m sorry if this thread ruffles feathers. I am. But this website has a homepage with “recent” content from a year ago from Tom Moore (?). If I’m a random googler and land on that homepage, why would I even bother clicking further? I have to imagine our bounce rate is insane. If we don’t wanna post articles to the homepage let’s just scrap it. I gotta think it’s better to not exist than to be an active turnoff.

@JimmyinSD said:
I’m sorry if this thread ruffles feathers. I am. But this website has a homepage with “recent” content from a year ago from Tom Moore (?). If I’m a random googler and land on that homepage, why would I even bother clicking further? I have to imagine our bounce rate is insane. If we don’t wanna post articles to the homepage let’s just scrap it. I gotta think it’s better to not exist than to be an active turnoff.
no feathers ruffled.  I am sure Mike welcomes any and all suggestions.  Most likely the homepage things is out of sight out of mind for most of us.  I cant  tell you the last time I looked at the home page.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I don’t see what social media would have to do with
here.  Social media is published on their
respective platforms.  What’s here is
here.  Obviously they can focus their energy wherever, but if there’s no published content
here.  Then it doesn’t really need to be
the front page of the site.  It’d be
different if the content was published here and then social media was used to
drive viewers to this site.
Regardless, I know how to find here.