Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Super Bowl Commercials

Ah, its well and fine I'm just not a fan of the manufactured feel good stuff like this. Publix is a big grocery chain in the Southeast and they are known for their tear-jerking emotional commercials, especially around the holidays. It just feels contrived and manipulative to me, JMO. 

Keep in mind I'm not some grump ass shitting on sentimental stuff, lol. I cry often during movies, I'm the guy that gets the turtle off the road, etc. I just am jaded with the corporate game of manipulating emotions to get you to consume their products. 

Sorry! Don't mean to be Debbie Downer.  Wink

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
Ah, its well and fine I'm just not a fan of the manufactured feel good stuff like this. Publix is a big grocery chain in the Southeast and they are known for their tear-jerking emotional commercials, especially around the holidays. It just feels contrived and manipulative to me, JMO. 

Keep in mind I'm not some grump ass shitting on sentimental stuff, lol. I cry often during movies, I'm the guy that gets the turtle off the road, etc. I just am jaded with the corporate game of manipulating emotions to get you to consume their products. 

You hate-filled, godless monster.

Meh, it's all contrived. American companies and their ad agencies have been manipulating emotions for a hundred years. Whether the emotion is joy, anger, grief, whatever, it's ALL about emotion. The very definition of "brand" is the emotional response a product evokes in its customers. 

I think the Cetaphil ad does a decent job with this one. Saccharin for sure, but at least not as saccharine as the Sarah Mclachlan Arms of the Angel sad puppy eyes ad. That one got me the first time I saw it; now it just makes me laugh. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

do you ever ask them where they would like to be relocated to?  you are likely just pissing them off by taking them back to where they started.  :p

its not secret I am bit of an angry person at times,  my road rage rants are somewhat famous with those that have ridden with me,  but nothing pisses me off more than seeing a dead turtle on a rural road. I can understand in a metro highway area with a lot of traffic,  but for fucks sake,  to hit a turtle on a rural road you pretty much have to driving without looking at the road,  or aiming for them, its not like the little fuckers jump out in front of you at the last second like a retarded racoon or rabbit.

my favorite commercials are the shortest ones

There is a whole thing about how Cetaphil stole that commercial concept from a tiktok creator 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
There is a whole thing about how Cetaphil stole that commercial concept from a tiktok creator 
That does not surprise me at all. At some point in the future, I think all ads will be in the style of tiktoks and youtube reels. People will get caught up in a story, not even realizing they're being sold something. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Vikergirl" said:
That does not surprise me at all. At some point in the future, I think all ads will be in the style of tiktoks and youtube reels. People will get caught up in a story, not even realizing they're being sold something. 
they tried that in the past in a way.... just left most people asking "what they fuck was that about?"

I spent 20+ years working with Ad Agencies and Marketing Teams - fretting about execution and measuring ads in every conceivable way...Clarity, Persuasion, Breakthrough, Recall you name it. 

The reason for an ad hasn't changed in 100+ years. 

What has gotten so much more complex is where you place those ads to reach your core consumer and how they have to evolve on social media vs in-store, tv vs old print etc.. 

I personally liked the Uber Eats ad, dont understand any outrage towards it. Overall I though the ads last night were pretty forgettable