Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trading from 12 to 3 etc...
Look at what the Texans gave-up last year for the #3 spot to move from #12. Should be similar to go from 11-2.

you up for that for a qb?  The precedence is set and its just a year ago.

Houston traded the No. 12 and 33 pick and its 2024 first- and third-rounder to the Cardinals. 

If they can find one like Houston found, they would be fools not to.

It can happen.....just need a willing partner. 

I know that Geoff has hinted at the Vikings preparing themselves financially to make a big trade for a QB. Especially if we don't have the safety net of keeping Cousins, then it could very well make sense to take a big swing for a QB. The only thing I worry about is having the resources to build up the D, though maybe that happens more in 2025 with an active free agency period.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Look at what the Texans gave-up last year for the #3 spot to move from #12. Should be similar to go from 11-2.

Houston traded the No. 12 and 33 pick and its 2024 first- and third-rounder to the Cardinals. 
Interesting. And the situations are similar comparing last year's draft to this one, with one MAJOR difference. Both drafts have 3 first tier QBs. Last year had 2 second tier QBs, Levis and Hooker (with a serious injury). This year there are 3 second tier QBs: Nix, Penix, and McCarthy.

The big difference is that last year, one of the teams picking in the top three did not need a QB. They had Kyler Murray and were not going to take another QB. This year, all three teams picking at the top of the draft need a new QB. The only team on the margin is Chicago with Fields but they have the no. 1 overall pick with Caleb Williams available AND even if they were to stay with Fields (dumb move), they are not likely to trade that pick to the Vikings. 

It's one thing to move up for your QB by trading with a team that does not need one. It is quite another thing to convince a QB-needy team to trade that pick to another QB-needy team. It would require a major difference in the way those teams evaluate the available QBs. 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Interesting. And the situations are similar comparing last year's draft to this one, with one MAJOR difference. Both drafts have 3 first tier QBs. Last year had 2 second tier QBs, Levis and Hooker (with a serious injury). This year there are 3 second tier QBs: Nix, Penix, and McCarthy.

The big difference is that last year, one of the teams picking in the top three did not need a QB. They had Kyler Murray and were not going to take another QB. This year, all three teams picking at the top of the draft need a new QB. The only team on the margin is Chicago with Fields but they have the no. 1 overall pick with Caleb Williams available AND even if they were to stay with Fields (dumb move), they are not likely to trade that pick to the Vikings. 

It's one thing to move up for your QB by trading with a team that does not need one. It is quite another thing to convince a QB-needy team to trade that pick to another QB-needy team. It would require a major difference in the way those teams evaluate the available QBs. 
Agree, but thought this was interesting: The oddsmakers are saying that while Atlanta and Las Vegas are the two most likely destinations for Kirk, the Vikings rank 3rd, and two of the other top 5 destinations draft in the top 3, removing their need for a QB. Could they sign Cousins and still draft a QB? Yes. But I would imagine the lure of pairing Cousins with a 1st round WR will be very strong. 

https://twitter.com/vikingzfanpage/statu...68817?s=20

My thinking the last few days is, we will have to get to 5 if we want any if the top 4 QB’s. Im including Mccarthy here and not  including Nix. 

The pick value chart says our first and second will get it done without overpaying. After the Chargers pick at 5, any of the teams could pounce. 

Chargers could use Oline and an Edge, so i think it’s possible we could get there. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Agree, but thought this was interesting: The oddsmakers are saying that while Atlanta and Las Vegas are the two most likely destinations for Kirk, the Vikings rank 3rd, and two of the other top 5 destinations draft in the top 3, removing their need for a QB. Could they sign Cousins and still draft a QB? Yes. But I would imagine the lure of pairing Cousins with a 1st round WR will be very strong. 

https://twitter.com/vikingzfanpage/statu...68817?s=20
I have a hard time seeing Cousins move his family to Las Vegas.  Christian Kirk in Sin City? That does not seem like the most likely scenario. Atlanta, yes. I think his wife is from that area and probably likes it there. Not sure I see Kirk in NE either, with a first year defensive-minded coach. Commanders? Really? 

And I would not pay him market rate to return to the Vikings. If he wants to stay and do 2 years for $60M, I could see that. Otherwise, go start over in a new city with a new team and uproot your family again. We'll take the comp pick next year and start over at the QB position.

Trading the farm to select a QB is a solid strategy for a team that has a complete roster & needs a QB for their final piece. That's not us. Trading away that draft capital will hamper our ability to build the roster inexpensively.
If the team did this sort of trade, I would of course get behind it & hope for the best.

I don't think they will be able to move up that much. I think the 1st 3 qbs are gone in that order