Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jared Allen says Vikings need move on from Kirk Cousins
'Nothing personal': Jared Allen says Vikings need move on from Kirk Cousins (msn.com)

f you ask Jared Allen what the Vikings should do at quarterback, he'll tell you that Minnesota needs to move on from Kirk Cousins and go all in on investing in the long-term future of the franchise. 
Allen, who is on the 2024 Hall of Fame ballot after his illustrious career ended with 136 sacks, referred to the Vikings, the team he played six seasons for from 2008 to 2013, as "we" and suggested to Trey Wingo at The 33rd Team that re-signing Cousins would make more sense if the Vikings didn't have so many holes on the roster.
"It was nothing personal, but I just don't know. It would be one thing if we were coming off an insanely-good season. Right now, the Packers are looking like they're coming on strong with a young team, the Bears are managing to be .500 with inaccurate play at that quarterback position. We have so many moving parts. I don't know how you can sit there and pay a veteran quarterback, pay (Justin) Jefferson, you got (Danielle) Hunter, you got a laundry list of guys that are going to have to get taken care of," Allen said. 
"But yeah, you're in a conundrum where you got one of the best receivers in the league, do you want to bring in a new quarterback? But It think there's some options out there to where I don't think you have to give the farm away for a 35-year-old because I mean, at the end of the day, even if Kirk comes back and plays absolutely lights out he's only got three years left in him. Unless you win a Super Bowl, it's all for naught anyway."
Allen brainstormed a Jake Browning reunion with the Vikings. 
"You look at the kid in Cincinnati who played his ass off this year and you could probably go get him at a relatively cheap price," Allen said. 
Browning is an "exclusive rights restricted free agent," meaning Browning can't sign with another team if the Bengals simply extend him a qualifying offer. With that being a likelihood, the Vikings would need to make a trade to get him. 
Whether it's Browning or a quarterback in the 2024 NFL Draft, Allen wants to see his former team pivot to the future. 
"We're at that pivotal point to where you just gotta find who's going to be the future and go all in on that and go that route. That's what I would like to see them go," Allen explained. "I just think money could be better spent around the board and we could prepare for the future."

Thanks, Jared. Yes, lets go get 'the kid in Cincinnati' to start for us. Sigh. Because 'a relatively cheap price' is what you're looking for from the most important position in the NFL. 

I can see this is going to be one hell of an offseason. I'd also like to know what Troy Williamson and Darrin Nelson think about who we should get at QB.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Thanks, Jared. Yes, lets go get 'the kid in Cincinnati' to start for us. Sigh. Because 'a relatively cheap price' is what you're looking for from the most important position in the NFL. 

I can see this is going to be one hell of an offseason. I'd also like to know what Troy Williamson and Darrin Nelson think about who we should get at QB.
Pretty sure he was suggesting Browning as an affordable bridge option,  and that is not a bad take IMO,  i would rather not give up any draft picks to get a bridge guy though.  There's a handful of UFA QBs coming up that should play decently for much less than Cousins would likely want.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Pretty sure he was suggesting Browning as an affordable bridge option,  and that is not a bad take IMO,  i would rather not give up any draft picks to get a bridge guy though.  There's a handful of UFA QBs coming up that should play decently for much less than Cousins would likely want.
Setting the bar @ play decently when you have JJ/Addison/TJH?

C'mon Jimmy, we can do better than that! 

@StickyBun said:

Play decently? lol. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Setting the bar @ play decently when you have JJ/Addison/TJH?

C'mon Jimmy, we can do better than that! 

so,  you think Kirk is the QB to hang 40 on the opposing teams every game?  because that is what its going to take if he gets "danny dimes' type money on top of the dead money already owed him,  because there wont be anything left to fix the OL,  and especially the defense that will be getting gutted with Hunter leaving as well as HS.   you get a bridge guy in FA that you can afford  that should play at a decent level, and will allow you to put cap savings into fixing the countless holes in the roster,  and you DRAFT a player at QB that should put you over the top.

look at it this way,  if you let KC walk you can probably keep hunter, as well as have cash left to address a few other glaring needs which improves the team over all if you can add a decent bridge QB, Browning has looked that way in Cincy,  Minshew, would be another guy that comes to mind.  If you fix the IOL you dont need KC to have a stout O,  but if you keep KC and cant afford to fix the IOL and the holes on D,  you have what we have had the last few years,  good but not good enough, the D gets blamed,  the OL gets blamed,  the coaches get blamed... but the blame never seems to fall on the root cause and that is underperforming contracts,  one being Cousins,  as well as contracts that put cap strain on unplayed/void years.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Play decently? lol. 
if KC is worth big money...shouldnt he be able to get the job done without high priced receivers?  Green Bay has shown for 2 decades that a top tier QB doesnt need high priced talent at the WR and TE position,  that the QB can elevate the players he has and be competitive.  So if we have all this great talent,  maybe a decent QB would be good enough to get a decent season without paying 40 million and killing the chances of improving the roster in other areas or once again kicking the cap hit into the future,  screwing up future rosters.

@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Play decently? lol. 
if KC is worth big money...shouldnt he be able to get the job done without high priced receivers?  Green Bay has shown for 2 decades that a top tier QB doesnt need high priced talent at the WR and TE position,  that the QB can elevate the players he has and be competitive.  So if we have all this great talent,  maybe a decent QB would be good enough to get a decent season without paying 40 million and killing the chances of improving the roster in other areas or once again kicking the cap hit into the future,  screwing up future rosters.
Here's the deal...this all boils down to whether you want to see this whole thing blown up or not.  The ONLY way you don't nuke this entire  roster aftet getting rid of Kirk is to get EXTREMELY lucky drafting a QB and hit on a superstar right away. Not saying it's not possible, but the odds are massively against us.

A "bridge QB" = a complete waste of a season next year.  Literally, don't even bother suiting up.  There is absolutely NO quarterback that'll be available in FA who will be anything more than a 6-11 to 8-9 placeholder that barely knows the offense and has zero chemistry with the offense. The entire idea of a "bridge QB" is stupid.
If a bridge QB is their answer, they might as well trade every valuable piece they have for draft picks.

If they let Kirk walk, they have absolutely no choice other than to sell the entire farm to the Bears to move up to #1 to choose between Maye and Williams (the ONLY two rookie QBs talented enough to start)and pray to God you get it right.  

That's it...those are the options:

Kirk, Go get a Franchise Rookie QB who can start from day 1, or press the red button and completely blow it up 

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Play decently? lol. 
Here's the deal...this all boils down to whether you want to see this whole thing blown up or not.  The ONLY way you don't nuke this entire  roster aftet getting rid of Kirk is to get EXTREMELY lucky drafting a QB and hit on a superstar right away. Not saying it's not possible, but the odds are massively against us.

A "bridge QB" = a complete waste of a season next year.  Literally, don't even bother suiting up.  There is absolutely NO quarterback that'll be available in FA who will be anything more than a 6-11 to 8-9 placeholder that barely knows the offense and has zero chemistry with the offense. The entire idea of a "bridge QB" is stupid.
If a bridge QB is their answer, they might as well trade every valuable piece they have for draft picks.

If they let Kirk walk, they have absolutely no choice other than to sell the entire farm to the Bears to move up to #1 to choose between Maye and Williams (the ONLY two rookie QBs talented enough to start)and pray to God you get it right.  

Kirk, Go get a Franchise Rookie QB who can start from day 1, or press the red button and completely blow it up 
Why is the only option to nuke the
roster?  Most of our old expensive
players are already gone.  Most of our
young good players will still be young enough and good enough whether it takes
us a year or two or three to find a QB. 
What would be the point in bringing any QB into a scorched earth roster?

Quote: @medaille said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

Play decently? lol. 

Why is the only option to nuke the
roster?  Most of our old expensive
players are already gone.  Most of our
young good players will still be young enough and good enough whether it takes
us a year or two or three to find a QB. 
What would be the point in bringing any QB into a scorched earth roster?

3 years is a lifetime in the NFL. Mike Vrabel was Coach of the year 3 years ago and now he's fired.  Justin Jefferson's future contracts will depend on a Good/great QB to get him the ball. If you think he's gonna opt to stick around while we "try to figure it out" at QB, you're nuts.  In 3 years Jordan Addison will be at the end of his rookie deal....what if we haven't figured out or by then?

Hell this entire front office could be gone in 3 years if they don't get this right.

If the decision is made to move on from one of the faces of your franchise at the QB position, you can't go into next year with fucking Gardner Minshew and a prospect that may or may not work out in 3 years  If they covet the young pieces  they've  assembled, they absolutely must go out and get a Franchise day one starter at all costs.

Otherwise, they need to sell off everything of value stockpile draft picks, clear the cap, completely start over, and STILL find a Franchise QB in the process