Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shocker! Corporations lie! Can you believe that?

The degree to which they lied, the importance of what they lied about and how long they lied about it? Surprised even a jaded me... 

The scandal broke out after a whistleblower came forward.
At a news conference in April, Okudaira suggested development team members had faced enormous pressure to pass the safety tests on the first try.
Following the initial revelations of the scandal, the transport ministry searched the headquarters of Daihatsu in late May.
The latest problems with Daihatsu have dealt a fresh blow to Toyota group, following falsified emissions and fuel economy tests by Hino Motors Ltd. last year, and a similar case reported in March at Toyota Industries Corp., a machine maker from which the global auto giant developed.

Quote: @minny65 said:
The scandal broke out after a whistleblower came forward.
At a news conference in April, Okudaira suggested development team members had faced enormous pressure to pass the safety tests on the first try.
Following the initial revelations of the scandal, the transport ministry searched the headquarters of Daihatsu in late May.
The latest problems with Daihatsu have dealt a fresh blow to Toyota group, following falsified emissions and fuel economy tests by Hino Motors Ltd. last year, and a similar case reported in March at Toyota Industries Corp., a machine maker from which the global auto giant developed.
Sounds familiar...

https://youtu.be/MGOb29aePyc?si=KARRoXKxYBzis0xn

It's not surprising at all, especially due to the membership in the Toyota family of brands.

I've been in the automotive/parts biz most of my professional life. I can, sadly, destroy any illusions about any "super reliable" brand out there, because...too much can and does go wrong. Suppliers, assembly, bogus test results, unforeseen climate reactions, etc...all contribute to the finished vehicle mysterious acting like the prototypes that got signed off on for production.

Toyota, in particular, has had to hang its hat on reliability as its offerings became the definition of "mainstream" while most of the interesting models disappeared. I was gratified to see the "86" and the Supra appear, after years of showrooms that defined doldrums.

Daihatsu has a tenuous place in the various markets, couldn't survive ours. This mess could have big, frightening meaning for them.

Quote: @Zanary said:
It's not surprising at all, especially due to the membership in the Toyota family of brands.

I've been in the automotive/parts biz most of my professional life. I can, sadly, destroy any illusions about any "super reliable" brand out there, because...too much can and does go wrong. Suppliers, assembly, bogus test results, unforeseen climate reactions, etc...all contribute to the finished vehicle mysterious acting like the prototypes that got signed off on for production.

Toyota, in particular, has had to hang its hat on reliability as its offerings became the definition of "mainstream" while most of the interesting models disappeared. I was gratified to see the "86" and the Supra appear, after years of showrooms that defined doldrums.

Daihatsu has a tenuous place in the various markets, couldn't survive ours. This mess could have big, frightening meaning for them.
doesnt seem like they had any production here?   so hopefully no amercan jobs lost?

In my career, I've worked for several private equity owners. The objective for PE is the day they acquire a company, they already have the exit strategy planned. Its being purchased to sell at a profit, that's it. Whether that's 2 years, 3 years or 10 years, that's the plan. The amount of financial and strategic lying that goes on within management to the PE company and then by the PE company when they sell is astonishing. Venture capitalists in tech get lied to continually from start ups....but they are so greedy and want to be first to market, so they swallow the hook most times. And then you have the regular corporations that lie every quarter to Wall Street. 

Corporations do not care about you one iota.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Zanary said:

doesnt seem like they had any production here?   so hopefully no amercan jobs lost?
None that I know of. They took a shot at our market in the early 90s, tried to be an upper-tier small car brand, but really didn't have the right hardware or panache to pull it off. A decade later, BMW's revitalized Mini showed how to do it (though those cars had and have a ton of issues).