Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam Bynum
Is this guy the best safety in football? If not, I don't know who is. He is having an absolutely incredible season and to me he's the biggest cog in what's turned out to be a really good, scrappy secondary. Definitely one of my favorite players on the team. Huge feather in Rick's cap having identified Bynum (4th round) and Metellus (6th round) in back to back drafts. Spielmans thumbprint still looms LARGE on this team 

lol. 

I agree both of those picks are proving to be awesome, but without
Flores coaching them, it'd be different for both.  I not only
think our safety play is really good, but the CBs too.  Kwesi's picks of
Evans, Blackmon, and Booth (seeing the field now and doing well) are making plays as well.  The FA addition of Murphy
is a noticeable upgrade of PP.Flores is proving to the DB whisperer that Zimmer never lived up to, IMO.

Everyone is right lol!

Bynum was a great pick-up and this staff is coaching him up as good as any...

Coaching is bringing out the best of these two.  Metellus was a special team  guy until Flores found out what he could do in his defense.  Lol that no other team in the league understands the brillance of Rick Speilman.

Quote: @Greylock said:
Coaching is bringing out the best of these two.  Metellus was a special team  guy until Flores found out what he could do in his defense.  Lol that no other team in the league understands the brillance of Rick Speilman.
Generally a 6th round pick is going to take some time to develop, he played quite a bit and flashed last year and also he beat out the Golden Boy's first round pick for playing time before he got hurt =)

Quote: @JR44 said:
@Greylock said:
Generally a 6th round pick is going to take some time to develop, he played quite a bit and flashed last year and also he beat out the Golden Boy's first round pick for playing time before he got hurt =)
I wish I knew what the deal is with this guy. Seriously. I mean he smells like a bust, unfortunately. He's been declared inactive a bunch. Yikes.

[Image: b06cb93fe65534511cc22aa7c19fc294]

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I wish I knew what the deal is with this guy. Seriously. I mean he smells like a bust, unfortunately. He's been declared inactive a bunch. Yikes.
It makes no sense, he looks like a physical freak and basically played in a NFL defense in college with 4 other guys who all went in the 1st round as well.  It has to be his ability to pick up the schemes and maybe at Georgia the safeties played more of a free roaming position, because they were so dominant up front. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
I agree both of those picks are proving to be awesome, but without
Flores coaching them, it'd be different for both.  I not only
think our safety play is really good, but the CBs too.  Kwesi's picks of
Evans, Blackmon, and Booth (seeing the field now and doing well) are making plays as well.  The FA addition of Murphy
is a noticeable upgrade of PP.Flores is proving to the DB whisperer that Zimmer never lived up to, IMO.
I think both guys have been on the uptick since their rookie seasons. Bynum certainly flashed, which to me, made the Cine pick even more of a headscratcher. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
@StickyBun said:
It makes no sense, he looks like a physical freak and basically played in a NFL defense in college with 4 other guys who all went in the 1st round as well.  It has to be his ability to pick up the schemes and maybe at Georgia the safeties played more of a free roaming position, because they were so dominant up front. 
players from teams that are stacked always give me pause,  are they really that good,  or are they never really tested because the rest of the unit is so dominant, especially backs that play behind dominant DL and LBs,  they really dont have to do much after the first few seconds as the QB is usually under duress and not likely to make a very accurate pass.