Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hock!
Quite possibly the best Viking TE of all time.  This dude just keeps making plays!
[Image: uwmaolfgcjv5.jpg]

Yep. Wasn't too long ago, earlier in the season, some fans were bagging on this trade. Not sure why but fans are going to fan. 

Theres more to a TE than catching passes,  his run blocking is nothing to write home about,   not shit,  but not something to brag on,  so as far as best of all time I would still go with Jordan,  or even Rudolph once he got after the blocking.  He's a hell of a receiver though, but how quickly we forget the dropsies he had earlier in the year,  some were just shit passes,  but a few hit him in the mitts and he didn't reign in.  Either way,  hell of a weapon for who ever is playing QB.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Theres more to a TE than catching passes,  his run blocking is nothing to write home about,   not shit,  but not something to brag on,  so as far as best of all time I would still go with Jordan,  or even Rudolph once he got after the blocking.  He's a hell of a receiver though, but how quickly we forget the dropsies he had earlier in the year,  some were just shit passes,  but a few hit him in the mitts and he didn't reign in.  Either way,  hell of a weapon for who ever is playing QB.
IMO, the game has changed. The TE needs to be a pass receiving threat way more than a blocker. He's a glorified WRer in the modern NFL with all the passing rules favoring the offense. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
IMO, the game has changed. The TE needs to be a pass receiving threat way more than a blocker. He's a glorified WRer in the modern NFL with all the passing rules favoring the offense. 
I agree,   but then why then do we still call the position TE?  Especially when we see traditional WRs get motioned inside to block at the line.  I think he's a hell of a receiver,  just not a great TE from a smash mouth football era definition. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I agree,   but then why then do we still call the position TE?  Especially when we see traditional WRs get motioned inside to block at the line.  I think he's a hell of a receiver,  just not a great TE from a smash mouth football era definition. 
Sounds to me like Jimmy Kleinsasser is your guy.   B) Hock was brought in to replace the underachieving, always injured Irv Smith.  ISJ wasn't drafted high because of his blocking either.  I loved both Rudy and Jordan, but I think Hock is already better than Rudy in his prime, and if he stays with the team, his potential will supplant Jordan as the #1 TE.  Maybe that's just me, but that's how I see it.

Dude is a stud, courageous and a great team-mate by all accounts

Looks like a Viking too. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Sounds to me like Jimmy Kleinsasser is your guy.   B) Hock was brought in to replace the underachieving, always injured Irv Smith.  ISJ wasn't drafted high because of his blocking either.  I loved both Rudy and Jordan, but I think Hock is already better than Rudy in his prime, and if he stays with the team, his potential will supplant Jordan as the #1 TE.  Maybe that's just me, but that's how I see it.

I just think theres more to playing TE than catching the ball, lead blocking, inline blocking are still very much part of the game and if you are going to label a player a TE,  he should be able to do those assignments as well.  I understand the position has changed with the times,  so maybe its time to rename the position?  Rudy in his prime (not at first ) was a pretty good blocker, something Hock hasnt shown yet with any consistency.  even as just a "receiver" though he is more than holding his own.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Yep. Wasn't too long ago, earlier in the season, some fans were bagging on this trade. Not sure why but fans are going to fan. 
The questioning or "bagging" was about money allocation and not Hock as a player. Was it wise to pay a top dollar TE contract with other large contracts that will need to be paid on the horizon and an unsettled quarterback position, or would it have been wiser to not make the trade, take advantage of a historically deep TE crop and have that player on a rookie deal for the next four years? 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
The questioning or "bagging" was about money allocation and not Hock as a player. Was it wise to pay a top dollar TE contract with other large contracts that will need to be paid on the horizon and an unsettled quarterback position, or would it have been wiser to not make the trade, take advantage of a historically deep TE crop and have that player on a rookie deal for the next four years? 
Well I guess the regime is 19-8 since taking over, a playoff appearance and has one of the most productive TEs in the NFL......so what's the question again? 'Historically deep'? So I thought fans liked proven commodities over 2 in the bush? Its all theory and optimum planning until it comes to actually doing it and seeing the results. Hock is a machine. The team just went 5-0 without Justin Jefferson. So what 'large contracts' should they be focusing on? 

lol, you'll have to pardon my giggling over the 'rookie contracts' and all the other crap. Just give me players that actually produce, not the fantasy of a drafted player that MIGHT produce and you can leverage a contract. Because it can all go up in smoke because the draft is a crapshoot. 

You're seeing a clinic in coaching on both sides of the ball in Minnesota.