Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That first half was surreal
Absolutely incredible. Dobb's mobility is unbelievable, a man amongst boys with that skill. I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing. The Saints are a good team, especially defensively. The game should have never been as close as it was, Minnesota dominated. The refs screwed us. 

Amazing win.

The first half was pretty amazing,  not sure what the saints were doing after half but neither Dobbs nor KOC seemed to either,   lets hope they can figure it out,   because I'm pretty sure other teams will be deploying a similar approach against Dobbs unless they can show they can consistently win against it.  Really seemed like 2 different teams out there after half,  both offensively and defensively.   Kind of like the reverse of last years Colts game. 

Well, lets get real about the 2nd half: it wasn't great, but also the Vikings had a TD taken off the board, shut down their offense on a drive that was kept going because of a bullshit penalty, etc. Missed FG. Dumb penalties. Minnesota could have easily scored more points. KOC also went conservative. It wasn't like the Saints figured something out. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Well, lets get real about the 2nd half: it wasn't great, but also the Vikings had a TD taken off the board, shut down their offense on a drive that was kept going because of a bullshit penalty, etc. Missed FG. Dumb penalties. Minnesota could have easily scored more points. KOC also went conservative. It wasn't like the Saints figured something out. 
I guess we saw it differently,   I saw Dobbs do whatever he wanted in the first half and struggle more in the 2nd half,  I think the aints made some adjustments that we didn't counter very well.  Sometimes penalties come from not having a good blocking scheme called or other things the D is doing that you didn't expect.   Missed FG... it was about 55 IIRC,  hardly an indication of a successful drive.  Either way,  the tide shifted and it wasnt the same result.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I guess we saw it differently,   I saw Dobbs do whatever he wanted in the first half and struggle more in the 2nd half,  I think the aints made some adjustments that we didn't counter very well.  Sometimes penalties come from not having a good blocking scheme called or other things the D is doing that you didn't expect.   Missed FG... it was about 55 IIRC,  hardly an indication of a successful drive.  Either way,  the tide shifted and it wasnt the same result.
I didn't say Dobbs wasn't less effective in the 2nd half. What I'm saying is the team left at least 10 points on the table after halftime. It should have been a more comfortable win. There's no perfect game. Cincy gave up 14 points in a minute yesterday. Look around the league, its very normal. I just don't get the fans going this morning, 'yeah, but the 2nd half.....'. Its a total eye roll for me. Its the same stuff I see unrealistic fans get on Kirk Cousins about. 

Dobbs has still been a Viking less than 2 weeks, lol. Just something to consider.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
I didn't say Dobbs wasn't less effective in the 2nd half. What I'm saying is the team left at least 10 points on the table after halftime. It should have been a more comfortable win. There's no perfect game. Cincy gave up 14 points in a minute yesterday. Look around the league, its very normal. I just don't get the fans going this morning, 'yeah, but the 2nd half.....'. Its a total eye roll for me. Its the same stuff I see unrealistic fans get on Kirk Cousins about. 

Dobbs has still been a Viking less than 2 weeks, lol. Just something to consider.
I wasnt putting the 2nd half struggles on him alone,   I said play calling needs to adjust,  he just runs the plays he's given.   The saints adjusted their blitz to help contain him as well,  he didn't have the escape lanes in the 2nd he had in the first half.

I'm not dogging Dobbs,  just pointing out adjustments were made and it was effective imo.

KOC in the second half was more a mathematician. In his presser he mentioned the following 
  • He owned up to the poor second half
  • said they analysed the number of times each team will have the ball and where pretty good with slowing the game down
  • he felt if they had one more score they would put the gane beyond reach (again without us turning the ball over) so that was what they were playing for 
  • they wanted to protect the ball and steal a possession to make it even harder (and slow the game)
  • So with that in mind, l running the ball made sense
  • Well then Jamies happened which changed the dynamics and our offense could not get back in groove.
  • Interestingly, the game would have been easier if we converted two more first downs. 
i think KOC is not going to go deep in his play book / game plan if he does not have to. The less he reveals the more he has to work with down the stretch. I dont think us being in these close one score games is all due to tough opponents. i think it has to do more with them counting possessions which sometimes bites them in the butt with turnovers and poor execution. 
He is still growing in his role.

What Dobbs is doing is nothing short of miraculous. Ever since KOC encouraged Cousins (of all people) to run more last year, I've had this sneaking suspicion that a running QB might just be the key to unlocking this offense. They key piece that takes it from good to great. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

I want putting the 2nd half struggles in him alone,   I said play calling needs to adjust,  he just runs the plays he's given.   The saints adjusted their blitz to help contain him as well,  he didn't have the escape lanes in the 2nd he had in the first half.

I'm not dogging Dobbs,  just pointing out adjustments were made and it was effective imo.
Could have been the eye test, but to me it looked like the aints blitzed Dobbs a ton more and I said the same thing. Whomever the Vikings play going forward, they’ll look to the 2nd half on how to play it. 

Where I hold out hope, TJH was sitting a ton more in the 2nd half and he was the offense in the first half. Jefferson is going to be back soon. Imagine our best player having fun with this new offense. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@StickyBun said:

I want putting the 2nd half struggles in him alone,   I said play calling needs to adjust,  he just runs the plays he's given.   The saints adjusted their blitz to help contain him as well,  he didn't have the escape lanes in the 2nd he had in the first half.

Could have been the eye test, but to me it looked like the aints blitzed Dobbs a ton more and I said the same thing. Whomever the Vikings play going forward, they’ll look to the 2nd half on how to play it. 

Where I hold out hope, TJH was sitting a ton more in the 2nd half and he was the offense in the first half. Jefferson is going to be back soon. Imagine our best player having fun with this new offense. 
That's where dumpoffs to the RBs would neuter the blitzing. There's always a counter to a tactic, I have full faith in KOC being able to do that.