Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QB Bryce Young
I wasn't impressed. I understand he's a rookie and he'll make mistakes, but his size is going to be a detriment. They got the gameplan pretty simple for him right now, and the idea is to complete passes but I don't know if I'm seeing this amazing upside in any kind of glimpses. I see it in Richardson. I even see it a bit in Stroud. JMO.

And man did they pay for the privilege:

"This offseason, the Carolina Panthers traded two first-round picks, two second-round picks and wideout D.J. Moore to Chicago for the right to select first in the 2023 NFL Draft. The Panthers selected Alabama quarterback Bryce Young, but he hasn't hit the ground running at the next level, as evidenced by Carolina's 0-4 record."

It's why I always had Stroud #1 and never trusted the size and lack of any elite physical attributes on Young. I thought taking him was an extremely risky pick by Carolina. He was not impressive at all yesterday, but in his defense the Panthers lack playmakers of any kind of offense and like most teams, have trouble up front. I'm just pissed the Bears have their pick 

Good or bad, never trust what you see in a QB's 1st season. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Good or bad, never trust what you see in a QB's 1st season. 
I hear you, but mostly don't trust it when you see good. And its early for sure for Young, lots of games to go. Just my early impression. They crowned Mac Jones early. The only King out there recently that got crowned and is holding up quite nicely is Brock Purdy. CJ Stroud is getting crowned early, we'll see how that progresses. 

QB is the hardest position to learn in all of sports.  Flores style defense is one of the more challenging
for young QBs to understand.  High drafting
teams are rarely stacked with a great surrounding cast.  I don’t think it should be surprising when
young QBs don’t just ball out immediately.

I think Carolina will regret taking Young. He just doesn't have the size or strength to escape pressure as we saw first hand yesterday. I was amazed how easily the Vikings D contained him. He didn't have that extra gear to get out of the pocket and buy some time for his receivers to get open. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
It's why I always had Stroud #1 and never trusted the size and lack of any elite physical attributes on Young. I thought taking him was an extremely risky pick by Carolina. He was not impressive at all yesterday, but in his defense the Panthers lack playmakers of any kind of offense and like most teams, have trouble up front. I'm just pissed the Bears have their pick 
Agree, I felt Stroud was the logical #1 pick and he's been much better. At least so far.

I thought Young carried his Alabama/Nick Saban roots too heavily into the draft.  I believe that history will show that he is too slight of build (and height) to be successful in the NFL.  Certainly there are exceptions, such as Doug Flutie (also 5' 10").  But Drew Brees, considered generally too short initially is 6' 0".  I'm not saying you have to be tall(er) to be an NFL QB but it certainly increases your odds of being successful.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
I thought Young carried his Alabama/Nick Saban roots too heavily into the draft.  I believe that history will show that he is too slight of build (and height) to be successful in the NFL.  Certainly there are exceptions, such as Doug Flutie (also 5' 10").  But Drew Brees, considered generally too short initially is 6' 0".  I'm not saying you have to be tall(er) to be an NFL QB but it certainly increases your odds of being successful.
Tua is smallish at 6'1" but has a much better skill set than Bryce Young IMO. I hope he can become a solid starter in this league. Great Character, great kid, but I just don't see his small size translating to the NFL. 

Quote: @medaille said:
QB is the hardest position to learn in all of sports.  Flores style defense is one of the more challenging
for young QBs to understand.  High drafting
teams are rarely stacked with a great surrounding cast.  I don’t think it should be surprising when
young QBs don’t just ball out immediately.
Correct. It's also true that rookie QBs are given a cliff notes version of playbooks so whatever success they have should have an asterisk. 

It's week freaking FOUR and we have folks calling Young a bust and praising whatever rookie QB happened to avoid looking awful the previous week. Lather...etc.