Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
113 QBs have been drafted since Kirk Cousins in 2012
Only one has won a Superbowl, Patrick Mahomes.

This isn't some quick automatic magic pill, drafting a new QB. Minnesota needs a lot of help outside that position. And the odds are against a QB selection making a gigantic impact. There are no auto fixes in the NFL. That doesn't mean you shouldn't draft them, it just means odds are lower it will hit. 

Well, Cousins hasn't really elevated the team after the team signed him for top dollars replacing Keenam. The year prior to his signing him, the Vikings played the NFC Championship game.

Quote: @DeepFreeze05 said:
Well, Cousins hasn't really elevated the team after the team signed him for top dollars replacing Keenam. The year prior to his signing him, the Vikings played the NFC Championship game.
....and didn't resign the QB that got them there.

Some of those top dollars could have been used to strengthen the team in other areas

Quote: @StickyBun said:

This isn't some quick automatic magic pill, drafting a new QB. Minnesota needs a lot of help outside that position. And the odds are against a QB selection making a gigantic impact. There are no auto fixes in the NFL.

There are many who think that the best way to build a championship team is to build up the entire roster & then add your QB. Makes you wonder if the team should use their draft capital next year on IDL, IOL & any other position of need & punt on drafting their QBOTF until 2025.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@StickyBun said:

This isn't some quick automatic magic pill, drafting a new QB. Minnesota needs a lot of help outside that position. And the odds are against a QB selection making a gigantic impact. There are no auto fixes in the NFL.

There are many who think that the best way to build a championship team is to build up the entire roster & then add your QB. Makes you wonder if the team should use their draft capital next year on IDL, IOL & any other position of need & punt on drafting their QBOTF until 2025.

Its a good question. With the failure rate being so high with drafted QBs, you really should be taking a flyer on one almost every year if you don't have a franchise guy. And that doesn't mean first or second round. I think part of that high failure rate is forcing them into starting action too early. But organizations are so focused on value and getting that out of those rookie QB contracts that they can't see the forest for the trees. 

The Vikings desperately need interior linemen on offense and defense. 

Qb failure rate is so high because it is so over drafted.  Unfortunately if you dont participate in over drafting the position you will still get a guy,  and you will likely still be over drafting him,   but it will just be that much further down the draft board.

I don't recall the poster, but the post was spot on. 

EVERY NFL team who drafts a qb believes they did the necessary due diligence.  

You just gotta be lucky on top of being good at drafting. 

QB isnt the Vikings problem, its the trenches and now RB too. 

I want us to take a QB in the 1st round of the '24 draft. And I think we will. It's time. I also think we'll extend Cousins short term to give the young QB time. But everyone should keep in mind that it's not very likely that QB will be better than what we already have. 

Think about this: In just 3 games, Cousins has had 2 receivers fumble in the red zone.  He’s also had 2 TD passes hit his receivers in the hands only to be stolen away (Bucs) or tipped into a pick (Chargers). Despite this he still leads the league in passing yards, TDs, completions and completions over 20 yards. He has 1075 yards, 9 TDs and 2 INTs. And yes, both picks hit his receivers in the hands. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I want us to take a QB in the 1st round of the '24 draft. And I think we will. It's time. I also think we'll extend Cousins short term to give the young QB time. But everyone should keep in mind that it's not very likely that QB will be better than what we already have. 

Think about this: In just 3 games, Cousins has had 2 receivers fumble in the red zone.  He’s also had 2 TD passes hit his receivers in the hands only to be stolen away (Bucs) or tipped into a pick (Chargers). Despite this he still leads the league in passing yards, TDs, completions and completions over 20 yards. He has 1075 yards, 9 TDs and 2 INTs. And yes, both picks hit his receivers in the hands. 
Some fans think Kirk is the problem.....they'll only realize that he wasn't after he's been gone.