Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm fine with Brock Purdy, but....
His stats don't line up with what you actually watch on the field. Does that make sense? You look at the box score at the end, and its like: ok, had a very nice game. But when you watch it in real time, he can be very uneven and have some real slow periods. Undoubtedly he's benefiting from a very talented football team around him. I like his demeanor and football smarts a bunch. I don't know, there's just something with him when you watch compared to the stat line. JMO.

If there was ever a team that you dont need a ton of talent from the QB position its this niners team.  His job is not to fuck up more than it is to make plays.   He seems to understand that and it's working,  especially against far inferior opponents.  He will get nice stats just on RAC because of what he's got for playmakers and his accuracy will be misleading because of safe wide open passes.  Not saying he can thread a needle once in a while,  but its just not required very often,  especially when they have a D that won't require many points to support.

I'm impressed with Purdy's quick release and getting the ball into narrow windows.  I don't necessarily align with Sticky, because of what I saw on the field.  Maybe I just see it differently.

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
I'm impressed with Purdy's quick release and getting the ball into narrow windows.  I don't necessarily align with Sticky, because of what I saw on the field.  Maybe I just see it differently.
 I agree, Tom.  Purdy had pressure and hands in his face on several of his throws that were spot on.  He looks the part of a very good young NFL QB for sure.  He kind of reminds me of a young Tom Brady the way he methodically gets the job done without being overly flashy and making stupid drive killing mistakes.

I watched him in college and yeah he just doesn't impress you real-time, he just wins.  When he was at ISU it was a fun game to watch, hasn't been the same since he graduated.  He seems to have just enough talent to take advantage of the talent around him, he can put it on the right shoulders and not carry it himself.

He's not lighting it up. Through three games he has 4 TDs. On a pace to throw 22 TDs. But he's efficient, accurate and doesn't make a lot of mistakes. That's all that team needs. 

He is the kind of QB that is frustrating to play against, because he doesn't do anything spectacular so you feel like you are containing him, but then again he doesn't make any negative plays, doesn't beat himself and somehow finds a way to make the play when they need it the most.  He is not throwing short of the 1st down marker and doing just enough.  

Purdy doesnt need to be more than a young game manager - but he's better than that. 

He's got all the support on both sides of the ball he could dream of. 

I hope SF hosts Eagles for the NFCCG - that'll be a doozie. 

I think he has good pocket and field awareness.  Not a great arm, his passes float a bit.  He's benefitting from having a totally stacked team around him.  Can we trade Kwesi and Kevin for Lynch and Shanahan?

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Purdy doesnt need to be more than a young game manager - but he's better than that. 

He's got all the support on both sides of the ball he could dream of. 

I hope SF hosts Eagles for the NFCCG - that'll be a doozie. 
It's early, but right now I'd say the Cowboys are better than the Eagles.