Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winfield blitz fumble
This was the play that drove me crazy and here is what the professionals say;

Interesting. They're basically saying the OL was not at all responsible for this sack. Schlottman could've called it but he's a backup and shouldn't be expected to. So it was 100% on Cousins for not recognizing it pre-snap. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Interesting. They're basically saying the OL was not at all responsible for this sack. Schlottman could've called it but he's a backup and shouldn't be expected to. So it was 100% on Cousins for not recognizing it pre-snap. 
That's how I called it live,   qb has to see to many men in the box for the designed play and audible to a better blocking scheme or play. 

The quarterback can audible to a different play depending on what the defense is showing, but it's the center that checks the defensive alignment and calls the appropriate blocking scheme.

Still can't believe we passed on AWJ. Seemed like a no-brainer pick at the time. We grabbed Jefferson earlier in the night but then took Gladney about 10 picks before Winfield went. Still a home-run by any measure but man, would've been so nice to have both.

I don't understand how Ham did not even think about taking a look. He could have stood in the gap and waited to help the tackle.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
The quarterback can audible to a different play depending on what the defense is showing, but it's the center that checks the defensive alignment and calls the appropriate blocking scheme.
I dont think the center is responsible for seeing players not at the LOS,  he is  not in a great position to see a safety walk down in the box,  he calls shifts left/right depending on how the line is set and if LBs are showing,  AWj was well outside of what I would think a center would be responsible for.  I put this solely on Kirk,  some QBs wont check out,   but then put it on themselves to make that free rusher miss,  either way I dont think the center can be blamed for a S blitz coming from outside the tackle box.

Quote: @FLVike said:
I don't understand how Ham did not even think about taking a look. He could have stood in the gap and waited to help the tackle.
Hams job is to pick up blitzers from inside out,  he took the first guy coming through the hole,  if he hadnt taken the man he did,  the result is likely the same,  only slightly  sooner.

Yes, I agree, this is definitely on the QB, he never even looks to the right at all. That play had JJ written all over it.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Still can't believe we passed on AWJ. Seemed like a no-brainer pick at the time. We grabbed Jefferson earlier in the night but then took Gladney about 10 picks before Winfield went. Still a home-run by any measure but man, would've been so nice to have both.
passing on him and then Hamilton,  only to take Cine and have his career start the way it has really makes it sting that much worse.