Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Addison
Offensive coordinator Wes Phillips said Tuesday that he expects receiver Jordan Addison's role will expand moving forward. Addison, the 2023 first-round pick, caught four passes for 61 yards and a touchdown against the Buccaneers. He was the Vikings' third receiver in his NFL debut, playing 36 snaps (56%) behind receiver K.J. Osborn's 58 snaps (91%).
"I saw a pro receiver," Phillips said. "It didn't surprise me. You never quite know with a guy in his first real action, first regular season game in the NFL. But I saw what I've seen really since he's been here, [which] is a guy that it's not too big for him. He's comfortable."
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-eagles-garrett-bradbury-out-injury-report/600304340/

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Offensive coordinator Wes Phillips said Tuesday that he expects receiver Jordan Addison's role will expand moving forward. 
Addison, the 2023 first-round pick, caught four passes for 61 yards and a touchdown against the Buccaneers. He was the Vikings' third receiver in his NFL debut, playing 36 snaps (56%) behind receiver K.J. Osborn's 58 snaps (91%).
"I saw a pro receiver," Phillips said. "It didn't surprise me. You never quite know with a guy in his first real action, first regular season game in the NFL. But I saw what I've seen really since he's been here, [which] is a guy that it's not too big for him. He's comfortable."
https://www.startribune.com/vikings-eagles-garrett-bradbury-out-injury-report/600304340/
[Image: archer-stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect.gif]

Would have been a good idea to get him more involved after he got behind the DBs for our first TD, but that would have taken away from all the TE screens that we ran relentlessly.  

[Image: MV5BYjUwNTJjYmEtZTE0NC00NmZjLTk1ZTEtMjUz...@._V1_.jpg]

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Would have been a good idea to get him more involved after he got behind the DBs for our first TD, but that would have taken away from all the TE screens that we ran relentlessly.  
They needed to figure out a way to slow down the pressure on Kirk first to set up those deep routes.  The fear of a deep pass only works if the QB has time for that route to develop.  Something has to give,  either Kirk needs to find mobility or they need to get better at picking up those blitzes,,  but deep routes are a waste if the QB has to dump it off right away or is on his ass.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"JR44" said:
They needed to figure out a way to slow down the pressure on Kirk first to set up those deep routes.  The fear of a deep pass only works if the QB has time for that route to develop.  Something has to give,  either Kirk needs to find mobility or they need to get better at picking up those blitzes,,  but deep routes are a waste if the QB has to dump it off right away or is on his ass.
There are other ways to beat the pressure than TE screens behind the line of scrimmage.  Take a look at the Dolphins offense, they have a QB with a weak arm and who is also not very mobile, they run a lot of short drop quick releases and slants to the WRs.  We are consistently putting Kirk into deep drops with slow developing plays.  Play calling has been very stale and unimaginative, which is going to need to change for us to have a shot tonight.  

Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"JR44" said:
There are other ways to beat the pressure than TE screens behind the line of scrimmage.  Take a look at the Dolphins offense, they have a QB with a weak arm and who is also not very mobile, they run a lot of short drop quick releases and slants to the WRs.  We are consistently putting Kirk into deep drops with slow developing plays.  Play calling has been very stale and unimaginative, which is going to need to change for us to have a shot tonight.  
wasnt arguing that there arent other options,  just stating that the solution wasnt to send Addison deep more often,  have to show you can beat the blitz before looking to take advantage of the time you gain by not being blitzed.

And take away opportunities for CJ Ham?  What are we thinking :anguished:

Yeah, I just don’t think the problem with our offense is a lack
of Addison.  I think Addison along with
KJO will flourish when KOC, Cousins, and the OLine figure their shit out a
little better.  Since we didn’t improve the
talent on the OLine this offseason, KOC is going to have to figure out to scheme/coach
Cousins from taking so many hits this year. 
With our receiving talent, we really should have the ability to be
productive with the quick passing game, because very few teams have enough
quality defenders to keep up with all of our receiving options.  And with our TE/FB depth we really should be
able to be better at establishing the run when we want to.  I refuse to believe that our only option is
long developing plays where it’s a 50/50 race between getting Jefferson the
ball way down the field and Cousins getting driven into the turf.

Quote: @"medaille" said:
Yeah, I just don’t think the problem with our offense is a lack
of Addison.  I think Addison along with
KJO will flourish when KOC, Cousins, and the OLine figure their shit out a
little better.  Since we didn’t improve the
talent on the OLine this offseason, KOC is going to have to figure out to scheme/coach
Cousins from taking so many hits this year. 
With our receiving talent, we really should have the ability to be
productive with the quick passing game, because very few teams have enough
quality defenders to keep up with all of our receiving options.  And with our TE/FB depth we really should be
able to be better at establishing the run when we want to.  I refuse to believe that our only option is
long developing plays where it’s a 50/50 race between getting Jefferson the
ball way down the field and Cousins getting driven into the turf.
All depends on the run game. The threat of Cook taking shit to the house or long chunk yards kept some of this 'release the hounds' stuff from opposing defenses at bay to some respect. 

I'm very interested in this game tonight. Don't think Minnesota wins, but lets see if they have some fight and an intelligent gameplan in them.