Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misc. Thoughts: Bucs
Well, that was sobering.  Bucs had a chip on their shoulder and the Vikings paid for taking them too lightly (yes, I agree the Vikes probably were looking towards the Eagles a bit too much).  Here are my miscellaneous thoughts:
  • Mattison:  His running was serviceable at best but I was highly disappointed with his blocking.  His blitz pick-up was horrible throughout the game and I thought his blocking would be a strength.  Frankly, Chandler blocked better.  I don't know what is keeping Chandler from grabbing the starting job but that is becoming a low hanging fruit in my opinion.
  • Interior Offensive Line:  I thought they played better in the second half -- nothing to write home about but after the first half I was pleasantly surprised in the second half.  I think the offensive line and coaching staff made some smart adjustments in the second half that improved the pass blocking.  That being said, the team was simply unprepared for the blitz heavy TB defense -- it is exactly how I felt we would look but didn't.
  • Cousins:  Felt like he had the yips, especially in the second half.
  • Pace and Blackmon:  In the 4th quarter both rookies made rookie mistakes on crucial 3rd downs.  Pace came off his cover responsibilities late allowing Baker to make it to the sticks (and why oh why didn't he lay Baker out with a huge hit?). Blackmon gave too much of a cushion allowing the Chris Godwin to gain 11 yards on a 3rd and 10.  Both of these are rookie mistakes partly attributable to them not factoring in the great speed at the pro level.  I am hopefully that they will both learn from these mistakes.  Pace, I believe lead the team in tackles; he does show up.
  • Vikings Blitz Packages:  All preseason we were told about the confusion, etc. that the new blitz packages created.  Frankly, I didn't see it.  Seemed to me that the Bucs' blitz packages were more creative and effective.  I think only Pace and Hunter actually hit Baker during the game.  And then in the 4th quarter, the Vikes only rushed 3 a number of times.  Really seems like they went away from what worked in the first half.
  • Run Defense:  I actually thought it was decent.
  • End of Half Opponent Scoring: 2022 deja vu.
  • Passing Game:  There is too much talent to be targeting Osborn 6 times, Mattison 4 times and Ham 3 times.

KOC mentioned he felt better about the loss after viewing the tape. Said they were very close on a bunch of plays that would have changed the game. Take that for what you will....

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Well, that was sobering.  Bucs had a chip on their shoulder and the Vikings paid for taking them too lightly (yes, I agree the Vikes probably were looking towards the Eagles a bit too much).  Here are my miscellaneous thoughts:
  • Mattison:  His running was serviceable at best but I was highly disappointed with his blocking.  His blitz pick-up was horrible throughout the game and I thought his blocking would be a strength.  Frankly, Chandler blocked better.  I don't know what is keeping Chandler from grabbing the starting job but that is becoming a low hanging fruit in my opinion.
  • Interior Offensive Line:  I thought they played better in the second half -- nothing to write home about but after the first half I was pleasantly surprised in the second half.  I think the offensive line and coaching staff made some smart adjustments in the second half that improved the pass blocking.  That being said, the team was simply unprepared for the blitz heavy TB defense -- it is exactly how I felt we would look but didn't.
  • Pace and Blackmon:  In the 4th quarter both rookies made rookie mistakes on crucial 3rd downs.  Pace came off his cover responsibilities late allowing Baker to make it to the sticks (and why oh why didn't he lay Baker out with a huge hit?). Blackmon gave too much of a cushion allowing the Chris Godwin to gain 11 yards on a 3rd and 10.  Both of these are rookie mistakes partly attributable to them not factoring in the great speed at the pro level.  I am hopefully that they will both learn from these mistakes.  Pace, I believe lead the team in tackles; he does show up.
  • Vikings Blitz Packages:  All preseason we were told about the confusion, etc. that the new blitz packages created.  Frankly, I didn't see it.  Seemed to me that the Bucs' blitz packages were more creative and effective.  I think only Pace and Hunter actually hit Baker during the game.  And then in the 4th quarter, the Vikes only rushed 3 a number of times.  Really seems like they went away from what worked in the first half.
  • Passing Game:  There is too much talent to be targeting Osborn 6 times, Mattison 4 times and Ham 3 times.
All good points. Mine?
Run the ball and get a little balance
With this iol, gotta get the ball out quick
Cousins had the yips, they knocked the shit outta him in first half 

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
Look forward to your misc thoughts each week.

As to Pace hitting Baker, I mentioned this yesterday.  Pace hit him like he was a QB.  He laid off and arm tackled, perhaps because he was afraid of a penalty if he laid him out.  Pace has a reputation for being a hitter, so it probably would have been brutal.  QBs should not be protected if they take off and run.  If they are near the sidelines, all they have to do is fake stepping out and everyone has to back off.  IMO if they don't give themselves up prior to being in a collision zone, they shouldn't be protected.  Or in other words, once they run, they are responsible for their own protection.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
KOC mentioned he felt better about the loss after viewing the tape. Said they were very close on a bunch of plays that would have changed the game. Take that for what you will....
Les Frazier concurs.. 

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

As to Pace hitting Baker, I mentioned this yesterday.  Pace hit him like he was a QB.  He laid off and arm tackled, perhaps because he was afraid of a penalty if he laid him out.  Pace has a reputation for being a hitter, so it probably would have been brutal.  QBs should not be protected if they take off and run.  If they are near the sidelines, all they have to do is fake stepping out and everyone has to back off.  IMO if they don't give themselves up prior to being in a collision zone, they shouldn't be protected.  Or in other words, once they run, they are responsible for their own protection.
That's exactly what I was thinking at the time. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"greediron" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:

That's exactly what I was thinking at the time. 
Yup.  Anytime a QB is near the sideline, you see defenders slow down and hold back.  Now Baker looks like a hero cuz he "willed" his team to victory with that great run.  

Agree with all of OP's points, especially the last one.
Nothing against CJ and KJ but targeting them-- especially KJ-- repeatedly when it's not working well at all was a bad decision by Kirk. Ham had one bad drop in an otherwise okay game by him but the Osborne connection just wasn't there for whatever reason. The chunk plays to JJ were amazing as usual but in conjunction with the above gripes, sprinkle in Hockenson's 8 catches for a pitiful 35 yards and you have an offense that's just not gonna sustain drives. Hockenson is making way too much money and is way too good to be used this way. Bizarre playcalling.

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Les Frazier concurs.. 
Nah, KOC is a lot better than Les. But to your point: yeah, just dial it in. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
Les Frazier concurs.. 
Nah, KOC is a lot better than Les. But to your point: yeah, just dial it in. 
Another point about KOC; I think he is adverse to running the football as a play caller and you HAVE to run the fucking football and have some balance. That's not unexpected being a former quarterback and wanting us to be the Rams throwing it all over the yard, but we passed the ball 73% of the time against Tampa Sunday. We get down and do that against Philly and there's is no way Kirk makes it through the game.