Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confident Viking Team!
https://www.inforum.com/sports/pro/vikings-head-into-week-1-with-confidenceWhen it was suggested that a season like last year’s would be a good
one for the 2023 Vikings, veteran safety Harrison Smith laughed.
“Well,” he said, “I hope we win a few by larger margins.”

Despite a first-round playoff
loss, Minnesota’s 2022 season was one for the ages, resulting in an NFC
North championship and a handful of firsts, such as Greg Joseph’s
61-yard, game winning field goal and the biggest regular-season comeback
in NFL history in a 39-36 victory over Indianapolis.
Overall, the Vikings — as alluded to by Smith — were 11-1 in one-score games in a season that ended with a 13-4 record.
That
mettle isn’t something to dismiss, and while the Vikings have shed some
important personnel since last season — a key rush end, their No. 1
running back and longtime middle linebacker — there is a sense at TCO
Performance Center that good things could happen again.

“My confidence level in our team is pretty darn high right
now,” head coach Kevin O’Connell said Wednesday before his team’s first
real practice ahead of Sunday’s season opener against Tampa Bay at U.S.
Bank Stadium. Kickoff is set for noon.
“I think we’re a better
team,” said safety Josh Metellus, one of several young players the
Vikings expect to step up on defense this season. “Obviously, Sunday
will have a lot to do with our team identity, and just who we are as a
team. But I think we take a big step from last year.”
That’s not
the view from outside, where most NFL watchers expect this to be a
transition season for a team clearly moving on from the previous plan —
Smith is the only real piece left from Mike Zimmer’s once formidable
defense — while still trying to win with a highly paid veteran
quarterback playing on a one-year deal.
Again, Smith chuckled.
“This
league, I don’t want to say it’s ruthless, but every year can be your
last year,” he said. “So, I’ve never heard of a transition year.”
Whatever teams advance to the playoffs will have earned it, not just through their play but through esprit d’corps, something
the team clearly had last season, when the defense pulled big turnovers
out of its hat at key moments, and the offense routinely mounted
last-minute scoring drives.
“I think that’s fair to say, and I
think it’s something hard to evaluate, and that makes it hard to build
rosters that way.” Smith said. “But I think we have one here. The season
hasn’t started, so we haven’t been tested. But I think we’re set for
success in that area.”
Sunday will be its first test. The Vikings are six-point favorites.

“We have to confirm a lot of things we think about this team,”
O’Connell said. “Not only Sunday, but throughout the whole season.”

Safety in numbers

Smith is one of six safeties that made the first 53-man roster,
the senior captain in a group that includes Metellus, Camryn Bynum,
Lewis Cine, Theo Jackson and Jay Ward.
Keeping six safeties,
O’Connell and general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah said last week, has a
lot to do with the way new defensive coordinator Brian Flores has built
his unit. And even if it’s not what you’d call a veteran bunch, they
give the Vikings flexibility.
“Those safeties have college
experience playing cornerback at a really high level,” Adofo-Mensah
said. “So, (you like) their ability to also influence the cornerback
room, but also then in that dime role, help in the linebacker room. For a
GM, planning wise, getting through the season, having players that are
able to play multiple spots, that helps you throughout the long haul.”
But
outside of Smith, who will be playing his 160th NFL game on Sunday —
and making his 159th start — experience is rare among the group.
Third-year player Bynum emerged as a steady player in 2022, making 17
starts, but among the other four there are three starts between them.
Those
all belong to Metellus, who has played in 48 NFL games but started only
three, last season, at safety. Cine was a first-round draft pick but
broke his left leg blocking on special teams in his fourth NFL game.
Jackson played 17 defensive snaps after being signed off Tennessee’s
practice squad midseason. And Ward was a fourth-round pick in April.
“You don’t just keep six to keep six,” Smith said. “Everybody can play. We have a nice spread.”

Briefly

Linebacker Troy Dye (elbow) was the only Vikings player listed
on the first injury report, but he was a full participant in practices
and is expected to play on Sunday.

as a former S.... I like what they are doing here,  I think a good S is a swiss army knife for a smart DC and can be schemed into so many other positions,  I am excited to see if we 1. have the right people,  but 2.  is he going to put them into positions where he gets to dictate what the offense gets to take,  or will it once again be a case of the offense dictating to the defense?

They've made some tweaks. The offense should be even smoother with Year 2 on the same script. The D shouldn't be such a doormat, although will still probably allow big plays in a higher risk blitz-oriented scheme. That's why they play the games, we're almost there. The issue is this year's team might be better but have a worse record. I still hold on my prediction of 9 wins....I don't see things always going there way to secure wins. Might be other intangibles to deal with.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
as a former S.... I like what they are doing here,  I think a good S is a swiss army knife for a smart DC and can be schemed into so many other positions,  I am excited to see if we 1. have the right people,  but 2.  is he going to put them into positions where he gets to dictate what the offense gets to take,  or will it once again be a case of the offense dictating to the defense?
Oh I think we'll do the dictating. The question is going to be how many times will our hyper-aggressiveness blow up in our face? I've said it a hundred times, but I think we'll see more sacks and TFLs, but can we limit the "oh shit" moments when good receivers are singled up on our young corners? That's going to happen. Probably a lot. And how those corners hold up is the key. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Oh I think we'll do the dictating. The question is going to be how many times will our hyper-aggressiveness blow up in our face? I've said it a hundred times, but I think we'll see more sacks and TFLs, but can we limit the "oh shit" moments when good receivers are singled up on our young corners? That's going to happen. Probably a lot. And how those corners hold up is the key. 
Its going to be a work in progress too...Those kids in the backfield are going to have big eyes on game day for a while

Sigh - sooooo many cliche's we can throw at this. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
the key will be the pressure up front,  how fast they can force the QB to get rid of the ball.  If we dont get the push in the QBs face,  all the scheming on the back end wont mean a thing.  receivers today run to good of routes and the rules are in  place to let them run unobstructed so its all about getting that QB off script and hoping that mid tier of the D can finish the play.

There are going to be growing pains along the way but I am really looking forward to seeing how Flores works out

Quote: @StickyBun said:
They've made some tweaks. The offense should be even smoother with Year 2 on the same script. The D shouldn't be such a doormat, although will still probably allow big plays in a higher risk blitz-oriented scheme. That's why they play the games, we're almost there. The issue is this year's team might be better but have a worse record. I still hold on my prediction of 9 wins....I don't see things always going there way to secure wins. Might be other intangibles to deal with.
I don't think you can lose Dalvin Cook and his big play ability he brought to the offense and just naturally assume the offense will be "smoother" because it's in year 2 under KOC. We have no idea what we are getting from Mattison in full time role and the guys behind him as just guys. I think losing Cook will bite us in the ass at some point this year 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
I don't think you can lose Dalvin Cook and his big play ability he brought to the offense and just naturally assume the offense will be "smoother" because it's in year 2 under KOC. We have no idea what we are getting from Mattison in full time role and the guys behind him as just guys. I think losing Cook will bite us in the ass at some point this year 
I use the term 'smoother' only in the context that its the same offense for Year 2, so nothing new to learn and everyone should be able to operate more athletically and instinctually with better knowledge of the scheme. I happen to agree, I think losing Cook is a blow. But I also like Mattison and he'll be more effective in getting 3rd and 3s into first downs, but we'll lose that home run threat that Cook gave the team.