Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some good stuff about the Vikings defense today
Take with a grain of salt due to the fact that protection schemes are typically the last thing to come together, but....

vikesinsider
@vikesinsider
The #Vikings defense is putting A LOT of pressure on the #Titans offense today. Minnesota has 5+ sacks already.

Byron Murphy Jr. is sticky man. Great coverage in multiple reps.
The #Vikings defense doing a good job collapsing the pocket today during 11 on 11’s.

The Brian Flores effect is real.
I kid you not, the #Vikings defense forced a QB pressure on nearly EVERY drop back during 11 on 11's against the Titans offense today.

I needed some good news about the BFlo D, to validate what I was hoping for. 
I think that steel sharpens steel and his young D Backs are going to be better going up against JJ daily, and his scheme is going to make our offense able to make more adjustments when faced with a less predictable defense.   But we can become jaded when we are merely practicing against ourselves...that doesn't really shed true light.

I honestly felt last season that the four games we lost (plus the others we about were blown out before Kirko Chainz mounted 4th quarter comebacks), were more about our O not being used to dealing with various defenses thrown as curve balls.  We were too used to practicing against our own soft defense.  

Well it sounds like that's gonna change.

hmm.  nice to hear for a change,  just hope we arent pulling out our A game for a preseason scrimmage.

Are we talking about practice? I don't put much stock into what goes on in the preseason, it can turn completely around next practice, but it is definitely good to hear. 

I’m more worried about the defense stopping a heavy run than the pass.  
We are light and fast with the line backers and no big real dominate players in the middle.  Scares me to think we might have to stop teams with big offensive lines.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
Are we talking about practice? I don't put much stock into what goes on in the preseason, it can turn completely around next practice, but it is definitely good to hear. 
Yeah, quite honestly, if we used unusual pressures to generate the pressure against a vanila preseason offense…does it really mean anything?

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
I needed some good news about the BFlo D, to validate what I was hoping for. 
I think that steel sharpens steel and his young D Backs are going to be better going up against JJ daily, and his scheme is going to make our offense able to make more adjustments when faced with a less predictable defense.   But we can become jaded when we are merely practicing against ourselves...that doesn't really shed true light.

I honestly felt last season that the four games we lost (plus the others we about were blown out before Kirko Chainz mounted 4th quarter comebacks), were more about our O not being used to dealing with various defenses thrown as curve balls.  We were too used to practicing against our own soft defense.  

Well it sounds like that's gonna change.
Agree. Vikings were a big play offense last year, but had trouble converting short yardage and sustaining long drives. That put even more pressure on a defense literally DESIGNED to play soft between the 20s. IOW, a defense that is going to be on the field a long time. 

I think the idea this year was to improve both. Better play calling, better run blocking, backs who may not go yard, but who will get you what's there. Along with a defense that, yes, is going to give up big plays. They'll make some too.

I think KOC would rather have an ultra-aggressive defense give up an 80 yard TD than a defense that consistently gives up long, time-consuming 80 yard drives.

Can you imagine what last season would have been like if the Vikings brought Flores in last year to run the defense?  A case of missing it by this much...><

Quote: @"ThunderGod" said:
I’m more worried about the defense stopping a heavy run than the pass.  
We are light and fast with the line backers and no big real dominate players in the middle.  Scares me to think we might have to stop teams with big offensive lines.
All three of the teams in the NFCN have good run games. The lowly Bears will beat the Vikings if they can't stop the run. Lot of concerns regarding the defense. Interesting to see if Flores can bring some magic with the personnel he has. To me, personnel trumps coaching so we shall see.

Stopping the run will be a challenge but frankly the bar is so low right now it's clattering on the ground.
If DBs aren't lined up 8 yards off WRs on 3rd & 6 I'll consider that a win at this point.
Hoping to be surprised but even an improvement from 31st to like 24th would be big.