Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Undrafted Rook...
It took roughly 10 seconds last week for undrafted rookie NaJee Thompson to show Vikings they might want to keep him around.
Though most fans likely weren’t locked in when the Vikings punted to the Seattle Seahawks early in Thursday night’s preseason opener, that particular snap meant everything to Thompson in his pursuit of making the team.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1690019307026104322?s=20

“You’re running down there with a plan,” Thompson said. “Sometimes the plan works, sometimes the plan doesn’t work. It comes down to effort.”
That’s not an issue for Thompson. He prides himself on his special teams play; it’s a role he fully committed to while playing at Georgia Southern. After starring on the football field in his hometown Boiling Springs, S.C. —not to mention setting a state record on the track in the 200-meter dash — Thompson quickly learned his role once he got to college.
“You don’t always get to be the guy,” said Thompson, who garnered the nickname “Flash” as a teenager. “Just coming in out of high school, I wasn’t that guy anymore. I knew I had to find a way to get on the field, and special teams was that for me. I fell in love with it, and ever since, I’ve wanted to be the best.”
That passion is something special teams coordinator Matt Daniels appreciates, which is why he kept an eye on Thompson throughout his collegiate career.
“He lives and breathes special teams,” Daniels said. “That’s who is is at his core.”
That could end up going a long way for Thompson, who could potentially fill the void left by former special teams ace Kris Boyd, who made a name for himself with the Vikings before moving on to the Arizona Cardinals.
“He has always been a special teams guy,” Daniels said of Thompson. “He’s come into this league and he knows what his role is.”
Asked about Thompson’s performance in the preseason game, head coach Kevin O’Connell likened him to longtime New England Patriots special teams ace Matthew Slater. They both have the ability to win with speed and power, O’Connell said, while also bringing a sense of intelligence to the position.
“He flashes,” O’Connell said with an unintentional reference to Thompson’s nickname. “You constantly see him around the football.“
The bright lights aren’t too big for him,” Daniels said. “He’s been doing an unbelievable job. We’ll see if he can continue to stack plays up and stack days up in practice. He’s playing really, really confident right now.”
The fact that Thompson has reached the NFL almost exclusively because of his special teams play is pretty uncommon. Usually a young player figures out at some point during training camp that special teams are his way onto the field.
Not at all the case with Thompson.
“This is the thing that means the most to me about the game,” he said. “Every day I wake up and it’s special teams on my mind. I love it. That’s where I want to earn my playing time".
https://www.twincities.com/2023/08/13/meet-undrafted-rookie-najee-thompson-the-vikings-new-special-teams-ace/

Here's another undrafted lineman.

EAGAN, Minn. — The Vikings on Monday announced the signing of rookie tackle Chim Okorafor.
In order to make room for Okorafor on the roster, Minnesota waived tackle Jacky Chen, who had joined the team in May as an undrafted rookie free agent.
Okorafor was signed this spring by the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted rookie out of Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas. He was released by the Eagles on Aug. 8.
Okorafor earned NAIA All-American status in 2022 when he led the Benedictine Ravens offensive line's efforts. The group allowed just 12 sacks in 13 games.
The California native is 24. After attending Alta Loma High School, he played basketball for two seasons at Cal Poly Pomona before transferring to Riverside City Community College in 2019.

He did flash in the first preseason game. I don't know if he is another Keith Nord or if simply being a special teams player only will get him a roster spot. But he looked good out of the gate.

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
He did flash in the first preseason game. I don't know if he is another Keith Nord or if simply being a special teams player only will get him a roster spot. But he looked good out of the gate.
Loved Keith Nord. Was there a more Viking-like player than Nord?