Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: RIP Robbie Robertson

My love and admiration for Levon and all these guys never waned a bit over the decades...

[Image: Robbie-Robertson-the-band-1971-billboard...623&crop=1]

RIP, Robbie.  His solo stuff was really good too.  Just a talented, cool dude.

That makes me sad, another one gone.  He was certainly among my unwitting guitar "teachers" that instructed me via inspiration and showed me a few little clues toward my own musical journey.

Rest well, friend.  The Jam Eternal has saved you a place of honor.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

thanks for posting, pf. 

interesting thing is, Skynrd didnt write this. nor the Allmans, nor Marshall tucker, etc. 

A Canadian captured the essence of losing American family, in a way that no one else could, or more important impolitically, would.
No mean feat.

Quote: @savannahskol said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gXSYm-CkUsE

thanks for posting, pf. 

interesting thing is, Skynrd didnt write this. nor the Allmans, nor Marshall tucker, etc. 

A Canadian captured the essence of losing American family, in a way that no one else could, or more important impolitically, would.
No mean feat.

Savvie, its interesting you mention those 3 bands...Besides Zeppelin and Stones, I grew up weaned on Southern Rock.

Those 3 would headline my hit parade...Probably have to throw Charlie Daniels in there for his great fiddling too. 

Robbie captured the essence perfectly and then having Levon sing it and bring it to life as only he could tell.

Good find, its interesting to hear the backstory. 

Incredible version of The Weight.  RIP RR.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
https://youtu.be/jREUrbGGrgM
I remember going to see The Last Waltz at the Tivoli in St. Louis about 40 years ago... another world and another time for me.  Great movie, I think I need to dig it up and watch it again because it's been that long. 

Robbie was a real artist--when his first solo album dropped, I fell in love with "Broken Arrow" and "Somewhere Down the Crazy River".

R.I.P. Robbie. Have always been a huge fan of Robbie and The Band.