Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaren Hall 'crisp' and 'impressive'
https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/viki...reddit.com

Not trying to jump the shark here, but so far so good with the rookie QB. He's like a Russ Wilson lite vibe dude. Mature kid. Hard worker. Keep an eye on this guy.

You wanna jump the shark, just admit it. :p

Quote: @comet52 said:
You wanna jump the shark, just admit it. :p
lol, Yes I do but I can't yet. Would love to see this kid be a surprise. But I also know this about my fan self and QBs:

[Image: smart-not-smart-man.gif]

big takeaway from that for me.  TJ is gonna be huge this year.  He came up so big without any practice time or really knowing the playbook.  Imagine what he can do with a that experience and a full off season.  

kid absolutely needs some game time reps - wish we could get and hold a big lead a few times instead of pulling a horseshoe out our asses each week

Make no mistake about it. Jaren Hall knows his place on the Vikings’ depth chart.Never mind that the 25-year-old rookie quarterback has already impressed early in training camp at TCO Performance Center.
Never mind he threw a perfectly placed ball to receiver Lucky Jackson during Thursday’s practice, then followed it up by dropping a dime to receiver Thayer Thomas later in the workout.
And never mind that he continued to showcase his arm talent on Friday, demonstrating what made the Vikings take him in the fifth round of the draft this spring.
The only thing Hall is focused on this summer is learning from the Vikings’ two veteran quarterbacks, starter Kirk Cousins and backup Nick Mullens.
“I’m trying to get some experience and take advantage of all the reps I can watch,” Hall said. “Just learn from Kirk and Nick.”
In other words, as much as he prides himself on his competitiveness, Hall isn’t thinking about supplanting Cousins or Mullens. Not that he even could at the moment. He still has so much to learn from both players, and he’s taking the long view as he tries to carve out a niche for himself in the NFL.
“No expectations,” Hall said. “The goal is to get better and add value to the team somehow. Just soak it all up as much as possible, then carry it over to next year.”
The biggest challenge for Hall is the verbiage that comes with learning the offense. This isn’t college where play calls often are relayed from the sidelines with relative ease. This is the big leagues where play calls are nothing more than word salad that wouldn’t make any sense to the average person.
“Just understanding how Kirk and Nick both take in those words,” Hall said. “That’s the biggest difference for me right now. The football is pretty much the same. Just calling the plays in the huddle is something I’m getting used to.”
There’s a scene in the Netflix docuseries “Quarterback” during which Cousins is filmed listening to his own voice on his drive home. It’s something Cousins actually learned from Mullens, and not surprisingly, Hall has taken that page out of their book this summer.
“I’ve tried doing that ever since I got here,” he said. “There’s a lot of verbiage in the offense. We have a lot of different play calls. It’s all about repping it in my head, so I can get used to calling it out.”
It will be interesting to follow how much progress Hall makes in training camp. He currently is being limited to a handful of 11-on-11 snaps per practice, with Cousins and Mullens getting most of the reps.
No complaints from Hall, though, as he has continued to learn from afar.
“You see how well they work together,” Hall said. “It’s a pretty cool dynamic to come into as a young guy.”
https://www.twincities.com/2023/07/28/vikings-rookie-jaren-hall-learning-from-kirk-cousins-and-nick-mullens-not-trying-to-take-their-spot/

Who's the last Mr Mankato we had @ QB?

Mond?
Thigpen? 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Mond?
Thigpen? 
I don't think Mond was ever close to Mr. Mankato status. 

Tarvaris Jackson?  I know he was a starter at some point,but there was a lot of emotional optimism during camp.No one could jump pass like him.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Mond?
Thigpen? 
Yea I would say neither of those.  Heinike before he kicked his way into his apartment and out of Minnesota.