Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJ's one handed grab is sports play of the year
At the 2023 ESPYs on Wednesday night, Justin Jefferson took home the "Best Play" award for his miraculous, game-saving one-handed catch in Buffalo last season. Beating out golfer Michael Block, UCLA women's soccer player Ally Lemos, and Florida gymnast Trinity Thomas, Jefferson won the award for his unbelievable grab in the Vikings' dramatic upset victory over the Bills.
It's a play you can watch a thousand times and still struggle to comprehend.
"Always dreamt of this moment, making these memorable plays," Jefferson said while accepting the award. "There's so many things that I want to accomplish, things that I want to prove to myself. This is the start of it, but there's more to come, as always."
Trailing by four with less than two minutes to play in a Week 10 showdown at Highmark Stadium, the Vikings faced a 4th and 18 with the game on the line. Kirk Cousins dropped back and just chucked it up for Jefferson, who was surrounded by several Bills defenders. No. 18 rose up and somehow pulled the ball away from Buffalo's Cam Lewis with one hand, rotating his body as he fell to complete the catch.
The Vikings went on to win 33-30 in overtime in one of the craziest games of the year. Jefferson finished the season with 1,809 receiving yards and was named the NFL's offensive player of the year. 
Now he has an award for the best play of the year in all of sports.
https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/justin-jefferson-one-handed-catch-buffalo-wins-best-play-espys

I would say it borders on the greatest catch of all time.  All it was missing was being in the playoffs.

Impossible catch, made on 4th and 18, down by 4, leading to a score during an improbable comeback victory.  If he doesn't make that catch, the game is over.

Sorta overlooked on the play is the OL actually giving Chains time to throw…!!!  B) 

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
Sorta overlooked on the play is the OL actually giving Chains time to throw…!!!  B) 
Yup, I watched that carefully myself...

Just the opposite of the last play of the Giants game. 

I think the Vikings have done everything possible except  one thing.

Quote: @"FLVike" said:
I think the Vikings have done everything possible except  one thing.
oh... just when you start to think that way,  they invent a whole new way to tear out our hearts and crush them into the ground with cleated feet.

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
That is a great point.  Looked like actual teamwork up there, with chips, handoffs and actual blocking.