Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Randy Moss Saved The Vikings In Minnesota
Meatsauce had  an interesting take today,  he said that since the Vikings were experiencing black outs prior to Moss's arrival,  he is convinced that if it werent for Moss the Vikings franchise would have been relocated.  Its was the excitement that Moss brought back to the franchise that brought the fans back to the games... no Moss = no Vikings.  What do you think?

I feel like there’s more to this story than just Moss.  If you look this Wikipedia topic which shows
a list of all the blackouts by week, blackouts became much less frequent league-wide
around the turn of the millennium.  I think
you could just as well say that the rise in fantasy football or the dot-com economic
boom saved the Vikings.  My gut feeling
is that the Vikings staying in Minnesota has much more to do with the size of
our TV Market than it does with how many blackouts there were. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies

Quote: @"medaille" said:
I feel like there’s more to this story than just Moss.  If you look this Wikipedia topic which shows
a list of all the blackouts by week, blackouts became much less frequent league-wide
you could just as well say that the rise in fantasy football or the dot-com economic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_television_blackout_policies
I think fantasy football is the driver for the masses, and of course now all the legalized ways of betting on a game. 
The "I just want to watch the game" guys like me are in the minority.

Quote: @"medaille" said:

I didnt realize how many games the Vikings played in were blacked out back then,  I have always lived in their home market,  but we are considered a secondary market and were outside the blackout ring so it rarely affected me.  Also there were a lot of games where general mills or other big MN companies would step in and buy up the remaining tickets,  I know that the sport became more popular,  but once Moss was in the house... that house stayed full.  If they hadnt been selling out,  hadnt had a pretty good previous 5-7 years,  I doubt there would have been as much interest by the Wilfs and then who knows?  I wont go so far to say he saved the team, but his arrival likely had more to do with the fan resurgence than fantasy football or other outside influences IMO.

Meatsauce is a dumb asz.

There is no debate as to whether or not Moss re-ignited the fan base. Did he save the franchise in MN? NO. 

Red was threatening to move the VAHkings after 98 as well. Pawlenty, Ventura all the governors back then told him to pound sand. 

What saved the Vikings from moving to San Antonio was:

1). The iron clad Metrodome contract Slick Mike Lynn signed 
2). Gov Dayton and the Wilfs reaching an agreement on USB Stadium and its funding mechanisms. 

Its not classy to speak ill of the dead. But Fuck yoy Red Mccombs.