Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plenty of big-name free agents remain available

Let’s go shopping… Wink  B)
It’s July 4. The annual celebration of American independence. With training camps opening in a few weeks, there are plenty of players who would be interested in shedding their own independence and joining a team.
In recent weeks, much of the focus has fallen upon running back Dalvin Cook and receiver DeAndre Hopkins. But there are plenty of other players with instantly-recognizable names who remain available to be signed, by any team at any time.
Several quarterbacks remain unattached, including Carson Wentz, Teddy Bridgewater, and Matt Ryan, who has taken a job at CBS but who hasn’t closed the door on playing. Joe Flacco is available, as are Nick Foles and Chase Daniel. 
Running back Ezekiel Elliott has been on the market for months, with no takers. Likewise Leonard Fournette, Kareem Hunt, J.D. McKissic, and Mark Ingram haven’t signed. As running backs inevitably get injured, will their phones ring?
Receivers Jarvis Landry, N’Keal Harry, Kenny Golladay, and Julio Jones are available, as are tight ends Cameron Brate, Marcedes Lewis, and Kyle Rudolph.
The offensive linemen still on the market include Taylor Lewan, Chase Roullier, Justin Pugh, and George Fant.
Plenty of pass rushers are out there, such as Yannick Ngakoue, Jadeveon Clowney, Robert Quinn, and Melvin Ingram. Interior defensive linemen like Akiem Hicks, Ndamukong Suh, LInval Joseph, and Tyson Alualu are available. 
Linebackers Anthony Barr, Myles Jack, Kyle Van Noy, and Kwon Alexander remain unsigned. 
Cornerback Marcus Peters, Eli Apple, and William Jackson are available, as are safeties John Johnson, Duron Harmon, and Logan Ryan.
Plenty of kickers are on the market, including Mason Crosby, Randy Bullock, Ryan Succop, and Brett Maher. Top free-agent punters are Matt Araiza and Andy Lee.
Some players could be signed before camp opens. Some could be added once teams see what they have (or don’t have), or as players get injured. Some could wait to see how the season begins to unfold. Others simply won’t get a call, either because they want too much or because no one is or will be interested.
It’s how the game goes. Every year, new players enter. There are only so many roster spots. And not nearly enough players choose to retire. For most, the game makes the decision for them.
https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill

This does seem like a ridiculously big list of big names to be available this late in the summer. 

Looking at the those edges, my opposition to a Hunter trade might soften a bit if we could get a 1st rounder in return and then replace Hunter with one of the above. A downgrade no matter which edge we choose, but probably cheaper....potentially worth it long term if it results in the draft capital necessary to land on of the top QBs in the draft.

I get the feeling that teams are way more frugal now than
they were in the past.  It feels to me
that I used to see midlevel players breaking the bank every year and becoming
the top paid player at their position and now it feels like only the top
players are being paid like top players and teams are much more hesitant to
commit to that second tier of players, who probably feel like they deserve more
than what the market is offering now, because the market used to pay that much.  It seems like we’re moving to a world where
teams are a handful of young elite players and a bunch of rookies and nobodies.

Quote: @medaille said:
I get the feeling that teams are way more frugal now than
they were in the past.  It feels to me
that I used to see midlevel players breaking the bank every year and becoming
the top paid player at their position and now it feels like only the top
players are being paid like top players and teams are much more hesitant to
commit to that second tier of players, who probably feel like they deserve more
than what the market is offering now, because the market used to pay that much.  It seems like we’re moving to a world where
teams are a handful of young elite players and a bunch of rookies and nobodies.
thats been my contention for the last few years whenever somebody talks about the cap increasing as a reasoning for paying huge contracts to undeserving players.  the rest of the players in the league will be wanting a share of that bigger pie,  but larger % contracts going to only a select few are going to leave a lot of players feeling left out for their share.  Honestly though,  most of those players are past their primes and not deserving of top money deals,  or even 2nd tier money deals.

I see that RBs are crying for the union to do something for them,  honestly the best thing might be to change the way the rookie contracts are structured so that positions with shorter careers,  like RBs,  are able to hit FA sooner than the 4-5 years currently, that way they are playing most of their 2nd contract in their primes instead of hitting the back side of the contract ( the big money years ) as they are starting to show wear.  either that or they need to quit signing long term back loaded deals, that is something they could do themselves as a position group.

either way,  all this extra new money is only helping a small portion of the league,  sure the average overall is likely going up by position,  but it seems like its not very evenly applied.

I wouldn't mind bringing Barr back as an OLB/pass rusher.  That was his position in college and he always seemed to be miscast as an OLB in a 4-3. Wonder if he'd want to come back?

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I wouldn't mind bringing Barr back as an OLB/pass rusher.  That was his position in college and he always seemed to be miscast as an OLB in a 4-3. Wonder if he'd want to come back?
I would have to pass,  his knees are to big a question mark.  He missed 3 games last year and only tallied 1 sack and 1 pass defense in 14 games.   I will admit I didnt watch him play last year,  but I was done with Barr his last few years here as he was never worth the hype,  he couldnt get off a block and make a play,  except out on the edge,  he did ok there, but helping inside or anything but a free rush and he was negated.

I was thinking the same.  If there was any life left in his knee, he could be a fit for sure.

I tend to think Davenport is also being miscast as a 3-4 OLB. He's a big guy and not particularly an incredible athlete. Which again begs the question, why are we playing 3-4 when our personnel is STILL better suited to play 4-3? I'd feel a lot better with Hunter and Davenport as our starting DE's, with Phillips, Tonga, Roy and whomever else rotating in at the DT positions. I also like the idea of more bodies up front covering our smaller linebackers and allowing them to seek and destroy without having to shed these massive lineman.

why is Dalton Risner still a FA?  IIRC he was a pretty decent OG.

[Image: d4mqucccudjm.png]

IDK, he sounds fairly athletic…